Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F3 vibration

I just put 200 miles on my new F3 limited. I did not feel the typical belt vibration I experienced on my 2015 RT. Does anyone with more miles want to chime in? Did they fix the issue or do I need more miles or maybe higher speeds. The max speed I rode was typically 65-70 mph.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F-3 NO VIBES

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonic View Post
    I just put 200 miles on my new F3 limited. I did not feel the typical belt vibration I experienced on my 2015 RT. Does anyone with more miles want to chime in? Did they fix the issue or do I need more miles or maybe higher speeds. The max speed I rode was typically 65-70 mph.
    It may be a total fluke but your Dealer may not have tensioned your Belt to the BRP specs !!!! ..... it may be like mine which I set much under Spec tension , and have NEVER had belt vibes...... most folks with under-tensioned belts have reported the same results ..... I know it's contrary to what I believed , but it works ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension

Mike

What was the setting you are using?

Gary

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

Default 180 was my magic

Mike suggested 180 on my Kricket for my 2015 RT. Worked like Magic across the whole speed range. I have set a couple of friends Rt to 180 and they had their vibes go away as well. I now have a new F3 Limited with the 89 tooth sprocket and I only have a little minor vibe here and there. It was delivered to me with 180 lbs on my Kricket.

Quote Originally Posted by soaring hawk View Post
    Mike

Gary

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension

Quote Originally Posted by soaring hawk View Post
    Mike

Gary
    My 2015 is at 125-140 on the ground using the krikit--there is still a very minor vibration between 3200-3800 rpm but it's not nearly as bad as it was. I also have the handlebar foam slip on's + 3/4" vibration pads on the foot rest plus a gel padded seat & BRP tension roller.F3's Vibration Foot Rest Pads.jpgVibration foot pads.jpg
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-14-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default I need to get a krikit

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    My 2015 is at 125-130 on the ground using the krikit--there is still a very minor vibration between 3200-3800 rpm but it's not nearly as bad as it was. I also have the handlebar foam slip on's + 3/4" vibration pads on the foot rest plus a gel padded seat.F3's Vibration Foot Rest Pads.jpgVibration foot pads.jpg
    I need to measure my belt tension on my new F3. Wish I had a baseline from my 2015 RT, not sure if it would matter since though since there is so much geometry change between the two.

Spyder Garage

He is not talking about a belt vibration, I know what that is, it is a engine vibration & it is annoying as hell! I will make a longer post about this soon. Mine is definitely NOT a belt vibration & possible a F3 only issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    He is not talking about a belt vibration, I know what that is, it is a engine vibration & it is annoying as hell! I will make a longer post about this soon. Mine is definitely NOT a belt vibration & possible a F3 only issue.
    I could not agree more and this will be the main reason why I would not buy another Spyder.

The engine should be rubber mounted and counter balanced and it is not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    I could not agree more and this will be the main reason why I would not buy another Spyder.

The engine should be rubber mounted and counter balanced and it is not.
    I believe it is rubber engine mounted--it should be a liquid filled engine mount to reduce the engine vibration.
    Darrell

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I believe it is rubber engine mounted--it should be a liquid filled engine mount to reduce the engine vibration.
    Darrell
    Then I would have to say it was poorly done.
    My buddies Harley TriGlide at highway speed is smooth as was my Ultra Classic.
    They are rubber mounted and you could cut a diamond on the gas tanks of both.
    I cant say that on my F3s.

Spyder Garage

Default 180 belt tension

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonic View Post
    My tension is at 180. Smooth riding until I get to around 75 mph Bought a DOC tensioner will update on any improvement

thanks all for you comments and suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Then I would have to say it was poorly done.
    My buddies Harley TriGlide at highway speed is smooth as was my Ultra Classic.
    They are rubber mounted and you could cut a diamond on the gas tanks of both.
    I cant say that on my F3s.
    It's the engine balance that's "poorly done" better quality mounts would help but they couldn't do magic. Pistons-rods-crankshaft built to tighter tolerance would solve the majority of the engine balance problem--so they saved a few $100 & skipped that part.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With my Vibration Damper and new tires I have very little vibration on my F3. I have rode quite a few 998s that I have worked on and that engine has a great deal of vibration. Their vibration is consistent at all levels of RPM's. My F3 had vibration at specific speeds, which was belt harmonics. After that was fixed, getting rid of most of the rest was achieved by loosing the Kendras...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I had the same experience as Doc on my F3L by adding a vibration damper and losing the Kenda's.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    With my Vibration Damper and new tires I have very little vibration on my F3. I have rode quite a few 998s that I have worked on and that engine has a great deal of vibration. Their vibration is consistent at all levels of RPM's. My F3 had vibration at specific speeds, which was belt harmonics. After that was fixed, getting rid of most of the rest was achieved by loosing the Kendras...
    You are Very Fortunate to have an engine that happened to be assembled with parts that have the same balance characteristics. That's why some Spyder owners solve their vibration problems with the belt vibration damper & others still have problems using your same solution. When one spyder can park the bike in neutral & slowly rev the engine in the 3200-3800 rpm range without feeling a vibration----the belt tension vibration damper will solve all the vibration problems. If one feels the vibration while parked with the engine running in the 3200-3800 rpm range all the belt tension dampers--regardless of the supplier will not solve the vibration problem. Unfortunately the only current solution is to ride beyond the problem rpm range. I'm doing 70 mph at 4000 rpm without a problem. My foot vibration isolation pads, foam handlebar grips, & gel seat modification from www.astechseat.com all help reduce the vibration level.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.