Spyder Garage

Default Getting ready for the long homecoming ride.

I have a 2009 RS spyder that I have enjoyed for a couple of years. I ride it mostly for day rides around home. However, I will be going to the BRP Homecoming later this year and I'm thinking about adding something to help with long distance touring and my comfort (I have knee problems from arthritis and a torn meniscus). I understand that everyone is different but I was hoping that others could help me with what might help more with my longer trips: a floorboard or highway pegs? If you have a thought about this choice feel free to let me know your thoughts (or tell me something else that will help more on long trips).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Floorboards and it highway pegs would certainly help.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Rivco floorboards or web boards if available..I had a 2009 GS we rode from Ilinois to Colorado..A good backrest also..Handlebar risers..

Spyder Garage

Are you being treated by a dr. for your meniscus tear? Just wondering what they offered as advice for pain relief. If the tear cannot be surgically repaired, did the dr. mention wearing an elastic sleeve?

Spyder Garage

Default Handle bar risers help and I have done that!

I have installed handle bar risers and they helped a lot on longer rides.

Spyder Garage

Default Seeing a Doctor?

Are you being treated by a dr. for your meniscus tear? Just wondering what they offered as advice for pain relief. If the tear cannot be surgically repaired, did the dr. mention wearing an elastic sleeve

Yes, I have had seen a doctor for my knee. After I injured it I went several months trying to see if it would heal on it's own. When it didn't I went to a highly recommended doctor. He had me do x-rays and told me that the x-rays showed arthritis but not enough for surgery. However, my history suggested a torn meniscus tear. He gave me a shot in the knee and told me that if that didn't heal it up then I would need an MRI and possible surgery. That was six weeks ago and I am doing better but not healed completely. I am trying to strengthen my knee by walking more but it is an ongoing struggle. I have not been told any brace would help and a couple I have tried on my own I have stopped wearing due to discomfort.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default If You Have To Choose

If you are choosing between highway boards and highway pegs, go for the highway pegs. I got the NBV pegs that Lamonster makes. Another option, if you ride solo, is moving legs to the passenger pegs sometimes, for a change of pace. Best luck with your knee, they can be a nuisance, but they keep the thighs attached to the shins.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Yes, I was wondering which one would give me more comfort for a longer trip, floorboards or highway pegs? I was going to try one these options to see which might help my knee feel better on long rides. Thanks for your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Default Floorboards first ...

Quote Originally Posted by drhunt204 View Post
    I have a 2009 RS spyder that I have enjoyed for a couple of years. I ride it mostly for day rides around home. However, I will be going to the BRP Homecoming later this year and I'm thinking about adding something to help with long distance touring and my comfort (I have knee problems from arthritis and a torn meniscus). I understand that everyone is different but I was hoping that others could help me with what might help more with my longer trips: a floorboard or highway pegs? If you have a thought about this choice feel free to let me know your thoughts (or tell me something else that will help more on long trips).
    Floorboards first. Incredible how much of a difference they make.

Once you feel comfortable (and you will!) with them, then decide if you want to go for highway pegs.
    2014 ST Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drhunt204 View Post

IMG_3753.jpgphoto 2-1.jpg
    Floor boards, road pegs, bar backs, are a must, cruise control is also a good thing I am riding the same as you have and it is comfortable to ride all day. With NO radio I use my iPhone and my SENA headset to listen to music or podcasts.. I am a dealer for all the above & can save you some $$$$$$
    If you want more info CALL ME 209-887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 04-10-2017 at 01:07 PM.