Spyder Garage

Question Is this normal for a front Pulley/Sprocket?

Swapped out the BRP idler for Doc's idler and noticed this today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP9J...ature=youtu.be

The bolt that retains the front pulley/sprocket is not running true. The bolt is tight and the pulley does not appear to have excessive run out , but does have some. I wonder if this has some bearing on why some RT owners have belt vibration and others do not?

Do you think this is normal? What would you do if you found this on your 2015 RTL with 4,000 miles (still in warranty)?

Take Care,
    Louie
    2015 RTL , Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd say either the bolt head is out of round/ low quality, or the hole it goes through has enough clearance that when torqued it can skew to one side. The pulley looks true, or mostly so, maybe a little out of round. This stuff does bug me though. The Hummer community has a similar issue with vibes and slightly out of round pulleys. QC just ain't there.
    Last edited by flyday58; 04-05-2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added commentary. Shouldn't be drinking wine, listening to Pink Floyd and posting...

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The bolt may not be formed correctly. I would have the dealer check it if possible. It doesn't "look" right. Pulley looks to be tracking good from what I could tell.

Spyder Garage

Default Not Acceptable

I would certainly not expect that from a $30k vehicle, whether it is a cheap bolt or bad pulley or something else. In automotive industry drive trains we measure runout in microns (millionths of an inch). If you can visually see it, then it is several thousandths out. If this was happening on mine (and I have not checked) I would be taking it to be checked out and fixed at your first opportunity. Certainly could affect bearing life internal to the drive train by applying inconsistent forces on the drive pulley. Just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Default joel the biker

but they should at least remove the bolt and replace with a new one and see if the condition is still there. < ---- think that would be a good start , from the vid, the bolt looks like it is ob-long at the head ... { the shaft of the bolt , along with the shoulder , could be dead on straight , and the head is off ... the fly wheel with the belt on it looks true as it spins ...

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

This will not be an issue of vibration as long as it is only the bolt. Being that close to the center of the moving shaft don't see it being a problem. If anything I would say it could have been the issue of the center bolt coming loose as mine did and many others. Have them change it out and see if the new one is any better. As the manual says....change the bolt and washer whenever removed...Mine felt like it had streched when re-torqued waiting for the new parts to arrive from cheapcycleparts.com.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As long as the pulley is good (and it seems to be); this seems to just be an "ugly" bolt...
    You could replace it if bugs you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd swap that bolt ASAP, torque to spec and mark it. It's like $10
    It could be a faulty made bolt, but could also be twisted, or beginning to shear. It's no good any way you look at it. If it still wobbles, then you know you've got bigger problems, but I'd start with the bolt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 04-06-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

To me, it looks like it's the bolt itself and not the pulley, which looks good and true. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The pulley is the critical part. The bolt is only there to hold the pulley in place, and unfortunately, BRP does use some ugly Chinese made bolts.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6