Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CORBIN REBUILT

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

No wonder Corbin is for sale.

Tis a shame that the folks who purchased the Corbin seat have to take it to a seat shop, or do it themselves.
    Just what kind of service and quality are they thinking?
    As most of you know at bike week we stopped at Corbin and they looked at my seat and said that is was way too hard.. So the week following, I took the seat to them and 6 weeks later I got the seat back, ( No, I did not pay shipping. ) Needless to say it is a bit better, and WOW the stuck a Spyder Logo by their name on the saddle.... A couple of more miles and days, I should be able to decide to accept it or ??????

Spyder Garage

Corbin being for sale has nothing to do with any problems you may be having.

After giving my Corbin the proper time to break-in - it is FANTASTIC. Those that had the altered because they felt the 'sat too far forward' or 'slid forward' probably didn't have enough miles on them yet for break-in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

After giving my Corbin the proper time to break-in - it is FANTASTIC. Those that had the altered because they felt the 'sat too far forward' or 'slid forward' probably didn't have enough miles on them yet for break-in.

After about 1500k mine is breaking in nice. My butt has made a bit of a dish in the seat and now i just sit there without sliding . Mind you not to happy with the passengers seat as it has the passenger sliding forward and as i ordered it at bike week in Daytona and shipped to N.Y. as they do not ship to Canada, it would cost a small fortune to send it back. But after reading Tatt2R post ill be looking for a seat guy somewhere in my neck of the woods.

Spyder Garage

I love my Corbin seat but don't have anyone riding behind me, in fact I have the smuggler trunk which also has a small back rest. Very comfy but I'm only 5FT tall.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Driver saddle is great.
    And instead of altering the rear seat cushion, I altered the way the rear seat mounts.
    The Breeze

Spyder Garage

Nice idea. I don't have a passenger very often --- and when I do the entire point of the ride is for them to slide forward against me- .

Maybe the passenger seats are not getting broken in as fast because they are not used as much.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nice idea. I don't have a passenger very often --- and when I do the entire point of the ride is for them to slide forward against me- .

Maybe the passenger seats are not getting broken in as fast because they are not used as much.

I guess after being married for a number of years, my wife is o.k. with NOT sliding forward against me.
    The Breeze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Breeze changed the pitch of the seat?I think that would really answer my wifes issues.She feels really awkward and insecure on the pillion area.Wonder what to do?

Spyder Garage

My husband just squeezes me with his knees a little when I hit the brakes. He doesn't slide forward and it amuses him. Works for us.

Sorry the seat didn't work out for you. It works well for us, but we're shaped pretty differently. I was actually surprised that non custom Corbin setup worked so well for a 125lb rider and 215lb passenger.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead1 View Post
    Breeze changed the pitch of the seat?I think that would really answer my wifes issues.She feels really awkward and insecure on the pillion area.Wonder what to do?
    When you remove the rear Corbin seat, you'll notice the 2 flat bars that 'hold' the front of that seat under the rear of the driver's saddle.

I removed the flat bars and noticed about an inch + worth of 'play' in the lift of the front of the rear seat. (Thanks for the inspiration, Dudley!) I matched the flat bars for width and thickness and made a 'Z' bracket that would hold the seat in that lifted position. There are several hard rubber feet that also suport the rear seat. I simply built up the space between the seat and those feet by stacking and J/B welding 5/8' washers.
    The Breeze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    When you remove the rear Corbin seat, you'll notice the 2 flat bars that 'hold' the front of that seat under the rear of the driver's saddle.

I removed the flat bars and noticed about an inch + worth of 'play' in the lift of the front of the rear seat. (Thanks for the inspiration, Dudley!) I matched the flat bars for width and thickness and made a 'Z' bracket that would hold the seat in that lifted position. There are several hard rubber feet that also suport the rear seat. I simply built up the space between the seat and those feet by stacking and J/B welding 5/8' washers.
    Forgot to attach pictures.
    The Breeze

Spyder Garage

Breeze...I mean THE Breeze, thank you for the mod and the pics. I have Corbin seats (my butt loves it!) and I only learned about the passenger sliding problem AFTER I had them and I have thought about what to do to compensate. I had seen other posts that said to tell Corbin to make the rear seat "passenger friendly"...why wouldn't they do that automatically?!!! After all, what's the point of a passenger seat if it's not "passenger friendly"?!!!

Again, thank you for this post!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

1010 0100

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    1010 0100

That's 164 in decimal. I guess I'm missing the connection...but I'm not really that smart either!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks for this thread!

You guys just saved me a bunch of headache.

Now that we're riding 2 up on the RS (decided not to get the ST after all)
    after riding on the back as passenger when I get off the RS, I can hardly stand up after an hour or so of riding.

Hubby fabricated some awesome passenger floorboards and installed them yesterday.
    After taking it for a test ride, discovered that wasn't the problem. . . . . it's the Corbin passenger seat.
    It is NOT designed for comfort.

So, we'll be checking out our local upholstery shop and hope for the best . . . unless we decide to use the turkey carver ourselves.

Thanks again!

Spyderlovers Rock!

Spyder Garage

When I ordered my Corbin, I asked that they scoop my seat a tad bit more than the Lamonster cut, and asked if they would also scoop out the passenger seat. Cindy, my wife, said that she too slid a lot on my old Corbin seat. She says the new seat that I purchased from Corbin with the extra scooping "is the ticket". No more sliding around.

Chris

PS: There is a horse saddle was that I used on my old Corbin seat to prevent that sliding. The only problem was that when it got warm, it did leave a residue.