Spyder Garage

Default Help Needed with RSS-SE5 Trans

2012 Rss Se5. 29500miles. Changed oil last Wed. Found 2 pieces of wire on the engine drain plug magnet. Put together they do not form a complete circle. More like a C shape- so c clip?? Very small-12mm or 1/2" diameter when put together. 2 pieces are round not flat metal. Diameter is Smaller than a dime!! Finished the oil change with Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil and filters etc.. Did not start the Spyder until Sat. It did not want to stay running- kept dying- had to roll throttle to more rpms for several minutes-then it evened out and kept its normal idle. Shifted to reverse and moved back 5-10 feet. An awful shuddering- vibration feeling and noise happened about foot level and toward the front of engine. Shifted to 1st- same awful stuff moving forward. This is in the garage at very very low speed. Repeated this several times-same results. Just prior to the oil change everything was fine- started-ran- moved normally-also in garage to position it and warm it up for oil change. Clip must have broken then? It feels like trans parts are moving and sliding into other parts/gears causing the awful sounding/feeling experience. It runs fine in neutral with none of the shuddering. I would appreciate your help, thoughts, and/or advice. I don't want to take it out of the garage-scary. Thanks. John

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Damn.....

I am not a transmission man but if it were mine I would load it up on a trailer and
    go to the local dealer and pray it is not a big deal, Transmissions are not cheeeep to fix
    I just had the one in my Ford 1 ton F350 done at AAMCO $3500.00 ouch
    Good Luck
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by spyderwing View Post
    2012 Rss Se5. 29500miles. Changed oil last Wed. Found 2 pieces of wire on the engine drain plug magnet. Put together they do not form a complete circle. More like a C shape- so c clip?? Very small-12mm or 1/2" diameter when put together. 2 pieces are round not flat metal. Diameter is Smaller than a dime!! Finished the oil change with Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil and filters etc.. Did not start the Spyder until Sat. It did not want to stay running- kept dying- had to roll throttle to more rpms for several minutes-then it evened out and kept its normal idle. Shifted to reverse and moved back 5-10 feet. An awful shuddering- vibration feeling and noise happened about foot level and toward the front of engine. Shifted to 1st- same awful stuff moving forward. This is in the garage at very very low speed. Repeated this several times-same results. Just prior to the oil change everything was fine- started-ran- moved normally-also in garage to position it and warm it up for oil change. Clip must have broken then? It feels like trans parts are moving and sliding into other parts/gears causing the awful sounding/feeling experience. It runs fine in neutral with none of the shuddering. I would appreciate your help, thoughts, and/or advice. I don't want to take it out of the garage-scary. Thanks. John

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch..!!

C clips tend to keep things from sliding past a desigated point. Looks like it's time to split the cases. Could also be in the clutch if SE model in which case easier job. Hope it is the later...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Split the cases

Please elaborate a bit on this term- have heard it before but no involvement until now. Thanks..

Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Trans

Looked through all the parts diagram pages today. Found 1 similar part in the clutch diagram- a snap ring at a $1.99. Cant tell for sure if this is the failed part but the closest and only match I could find. Any ideas if this part breaking is the reason for the shuddering/vibrations?? Any ideas on the labor and associated costs to replace this failed part as will need dealer involvement to fix it. I checked the oil every 300 to 400 miles and always had to add 4 to 6 oz to keep the oil level at the full mark. Checked it by the book!! Is this unusual oil use or have any other Rss owners experienced anything similar or not so?? Thanks. John

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default V-TWIN ENGINE

Quote Originally Posted by spyderwing View Post
    Looked through all the parts diagram pages today. Found 1 similar part in the clutch diagram- a snap ring at a $1.99. Cant tell for sure if this is the failed part but the closest and only match I could find. Any ideas if this part breaking is the reason for the shuddering/vibrations?? Any ideas on the labor and associated costs to replace this failed part as will need dealer involvement to fix it. I checked the oil every 300 to 400 miles and always had to add 4 to 6 oz to keep the oil level at the full mark. Checked it by the book!! Is this unusual oil use or have any other Rss owners experienced anything similar or not so?? Thanks. John
    Your issue is not common for this engine - certainly not at this mileage ..... upon hearing this type of noise why would you keep driving / moving it ????? ......... and oil consumption on your engine is a bit high even for a V-twin which does use a bit of oil , but usually not as much as yours does ......... also it doesn't matter what model - it's what engine and there are only TWO .. the V-twin and the 1330 triple ...... I agree with " Chupaca " above , cir-clips are used to prevent or limit sideways movement , I think one of yours broke...... talk to a mechanic .., or PM , DrewNJ for advice He knows engines ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default RSS Broken Circlip Fix

To let you all know how this worked out! Trailered bike to Dealer. Service mgr. told me he found a service bulletin on the broken circlip. I asked for a copy- he refused but did give me a copy of a list of service bulletins-14 bulletins on list- each with a very brief note of their respective problem. My bike had a broken circlip which came off the clutch release shaft. I asked the Service Mgr. to open a case with Brp. as the part that broke is $1.99 and they have a service bulletin on what must be a recurring problem. He did. He told me that BRP replied they could not help with repair as the bike is too far out of warranty and the bulletin is to help the techs diagnose the situation.
    It is fixed. They also replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs.
    On arrival at the dealer I asked the Sales Mgr. about a trade in on a 2017 F3S. He said wait until they get my Rss fixed. After the fix a salesman told me the Sales mgr. did not want my trade- told me I did no maintenance- no oil changes. I replied- I only have 8 receipted and documented oil and both filter changes at a total of 30 000 miles. This bike is maintained! Later I spoke with the Sales mgr. He told me they made an assumption about the oil changes but the reason he would not trade is he would ethically have to tell any potential buyer that the bike suffered a broken circlip and it is possible a tiny piece of the circlip could still be inside the engine and could cause a problem. He said based on this no one would buy the Rss from him. I found 2 pieces of the clip on the magnetic oil change plug. They found one piece on the pressure plate during the repair process. They told me the clutch was good. He said the engine could last for many many miles or destruct in a few miles if a tiny piece remains inside the 998. He also said my 998 has more motor noise than other 998s and mine has a puff of smoke on acceleration.
    The Sales Mgr. did give me the names of 2 other dealers who have the color F3S I want. He said they would not know about the broken circlip unless I chose to tell them. Another lesson in ethics. If I contact another dealer about a trade- I will inform them- again!
    The circlip is fixed- I ride and enjoy the bike daily. At this point, I will continue to ride,maintain, and enjoy until it has to be TOAD!!!
    Thanks for the help. John

Spyder Garage

Keep track of the parts you found! Tape them to a peice of paper or something, so the tech can possiably identify, confirm & go straight to area it belongs if it is a C clip.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights