Spyder Garage

Default Need Some Help Here Part 1

I was caught in high winds and blowing sand riding home from a small mining town where I was spending the day teaching at the high school. We were expecting high wind (20-25 mph) in the afternoon with gusts of 35 mph-which is fairly normal in our part of the desert. What we got was 35-40 with gusts measuring 70 about the time I had to make the 23 mile ride home. Took me 50 minutes to make a ride that normally takes me 20 minutes from brake release to brakes on. Worst ride I have ever had in some 55 years. First time I've had a side wind gust take me into the oncoming lane-I wasn't gripping the tank and I thought I was going to go off the seat. Hit areas of blowing sand/dust off of dry washes with vis down to 1/8 mile in one spot. Needless to say, neither Scoot3r or I was in the best shape by the time I got in the garage. I've attached 3 pics which I hope will indicate the shape we were in. Part 2 to followScoot3r: Sand1.jpgScoot3r:Sand2.jpgScoot3r:Sand3.jpg
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Spyder Garage

Default Need Some Help Part 2

After hosing and washing Scoot3r the entire front is covered with small sand pits (no surprises there is there?) Fortunately there are no deep pits or chips. The windscreen is the most notable. So My questions are: 1) Can I use a rubbing compound on the fenders and frunk? If So, I need recommendations. 2) is there anything I can do with the windscreen besides replacing it.

Fortunately, the windscreen bore the brunt and saved my new Scorpion Modular helmet from damage. We always think ATGATG when it comes to crashing etc. I never really applied that wisdom to high wind and sandstorms.

As a point of interest, one teacher had an ancient cottonwood tree come dow on her car, three other trees also came down, and the cafeteria lost part of its roof in that storm, and these are buildings and trees designed to live in the desert.

As always any help or thoughts are appreciated- thanks Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some lessons need to be driven home...
    If you had gripped the tank with your knees; this would have been just an annoyance, and little more.

That gust that put you into the next lane over was able to do that, because it moved YOU around on the seat. This caused you to add unwanted steering inputs...

Lock yourself in place with your knees next time...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Some lessons need to be driven home...
    If you had gripped the tank with your knees; this would have been just an annoyance, and little more.

That gust that put you into the next lane over was able to do that, because it moved YOU around on the seat. This caused you to add unwanted steering inputs...

Lock yourself in place with your knees next time...
    NO KIDDING BOB! That was within the first 2 miles. Be assured I remembered and the next 21 was with the tank locked in. P.S. 70 mph gusts IMHO are not an annoyance- they're downright bothersome!

Spyder Garage

Default What he said....

as to your questions....I have used semichrome to fix such damages but you now have those products to clear up the lenses on the headlights of your car that work well. The body parts you can use a mild rubbing compound to smooth it out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    as to your questions....I have used semichrome to fix such damages but you now have those products to clear up the lenses on the headlights of your car that work well. The body parts you can use a mild rubbing compound to smooth it out...
    Chukka- Thanks for the info. I'll be heading to the auto store tomorrow to check out what they have on stock. Primary concern is the windscreen since Scoot3r is my primary out-of-town transportation And early morning sun angle going to be a !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I rode through similar strong cross winds on my way to the 3-wheel rally last summer. Happily, I didn't have the sand and dust with it. It was the most tiring stretch I've ever ridden.

FYI, a new Scorpion helmet is probably cheaper than a new windshield. But the windshield probably made the ride marginally easier.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I polished my daughter's car headlight lenses with toothpaste. Did a good job, but needed lots of elbow grease as well.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Try this..... it works very well

This is the best scratch remover I've ever used.

Amazon.com: Nu Finish Scratch Doctor: Automotive

Be very careful using a gritty, abrasive, rubbing compound.....because I promise you, you're not going to like the outcome.

Santa Anna winds - if ya haven't ridden in them. You simply can't appreciate what an experience it is.

Glad you made it home intact.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield polish

Novus plastic polish for the windshield. I've used it for years on Lexan race car windshields.

https://www.google.com/#q=novus+plas...lish&*&spf=412

Spyder Garage

I agree with Jerbear. DO NOT use rubbing compound! It's way too coarse. There are a host of automotive polishing products on the market that will do much better on the Tupperware. FWIW, and I know nothing more than the fact that they exist, Harley has two grades of windshield scratch polish depending on the amount and degree of scratching/pitting involved.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your responses. This is what makes this forum so great!