Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default $150 Android based Waterproof Motorcycle GPS. Fact or Fantasy

Currently under review is a $150 motorcycle GPS unit with an Android operating system. It has Bluetooth 4.0, iGo map system, and comes preloaded with the Google App store and browser. WiFi, 8GB ram and an expansion slot for a microSD card that supports 16GB. Claims easy use and great headset connectivity. Too good to be true??
    I just received this unit and have mounted it to the bike and have begun testing. I will post the complete shakedown including success and failures. It comes with car and bike mounts, plus car and bike wired chargers. First glance pluses for me (besides the price tag) include the Android operating system and the ability to upload third party apps. Don’t like iGo? Download Google Maps or your other favorite GPS program. Have FOBO to monitor your tire pressure? Download the app and monitor your sensors without the hefty Garmin price tag. Not a professional reviewer or tester by any means so if you have a specific question for something I can check, send me a PM or ask on the post and I will do what I can to answer it. Before the first question comes in, there is no online or electronic version of the manual for the unit. This is an unpaid review and I did not receive the product in exchange for providing a review.20170401_173738.jpg20170401_173745.jpg20170401_173938.jpg20170401_174001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah i want that,im always lost lol

Spyder Garage

Default Waiting....

let us know gor sure...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wouldn't this be the same as a limited function Android phone or tablet?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I don't know of tablets that make use of 20 GPS satellites or are IPX7 ratred waterproof but I guess they could be out there.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

Spyder Garage

I am liking this thing. I was thinking of upgrading to a Garmin with voice command because it works so well on my android phone with Google maps. Now I'm going to have to wait and see how this shakes out. It does have voice command right?
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    I don't know of tablets that make use of 20 GPS satellites or are IPX7 ratred waterproof but I guess they could be out there.
    That's what I was thinking, limited function Android. That may not be all bad! Keep out all those Google apps, etc.

Looking at reviews iGo gets some pretty favorable comments. Favorable enough I'm going to give it a try. I've been using Sygic for a few years and have mostly been quite happy with it.

I use a Samsung Tab A 8.0 so I look at a quite large screen as far as GPS units go. I just installed GPS Test. It reports 21 satellites in view and uses upwards of 15, 16, even 17 of them. That is probably much the same as the unit the OP is testing. As far as waterproof, it isn't. I has gotten quite wet on the screen side a time or two with no apparent ill effects. I use a plastic sleeve to keep the water off it as much as I can.

All in all I prefer the idea of a regular Android tablet with a GPS app. When I stop I can take it in, connect to wifi, and check email and Spyderlovers! More versatility and less cost than most GPS units.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been using my Android phone for quite awhile now and no longer use a stand alone GPS. I don't know how many satalites it connects to, but Google maps works fantastic. As for water, a zip lock bag works great in a pinch and if it's that bad, Im pulling over for cover.
    Guess I just don't see the point anymore to have a stand alone unit. But whatever works...

Spyder Garage

I've been using my Android phone for quite awhile now and no longer use a stand alone GPS. I don't know how many satalites it connects to, but Google maps works fantastic. As for water, a zip lock bag works great in a pinch and if it's that bad, Im pulling over for cover.
    Guess I just don't see the point anymore to have a stand alone unit. But whatever works...
    If you're inclined to find out more about your Android and its relationship to satellites the GPS Test app appears to offer quite a bit. I came across a reference to it while searching to learn how many satellites my Samsung tablet was seeing and using.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE - Testing continues but I am happy so far. I was able to successfully pair with my Sena SMH10 headset for both audio and nav instructions. Knowing how touchy the Sena can be that was my biggest worry. Screen viability is average. There is glare depending on sun angle and how bright a shirt I am wearing. I will probably add a $10 sun shade but overall it is readable. I downloaded Google Maps but will probably take that off and use the TomTom Go app which seems more user friendly and lets you upload routes. The iGO that comes preinstalled may as well just haven't had time to play with it. Loaded up about 10GB from my music library and then added the Pi Music app to play my tunes. So with the Nav, music, and FOBO monitor it is pretty good to go. While I wouldn't have minded the Garmin 590, I did mind the price tag . Hard to justify when I already have a phone that I could use. All-in-all I think the $150 including shipping for this GPS was a good buy.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like something that we may have to look into. Turn by turn and tunes while doing so is a must.

Spyder Garage

In advance, please excuse my complete ignorance of android & apps etc

Zuni ( or anyone else), if I had one of these units would I need a mobile phone contract with a signal supplier or would I need an internet wifi subscription to get it to navigate with while on the road.
    Or does it get its signal from the satellites at no cost?

Ignorant old guy needs to know. The cost of a Zumo is well outside my budget. I see that Amazon had some very cheap oriental made waterproof GPS units for sale similar to yours.

Thanks in advance for ant tutoring

oldgoat
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

You can use it with just the gps signal for navigation and there are plenty of places where you can get free Wifi if you wanted to download any apps that didn't come preinstalled. This is one of those inexpensive Chinese GPS units. Most of the time I play tailgunner on our group rydes so I am just following along but on those 5% to 10% rydes where it would come in handy it is an inexpensive option (compared to other motorcycle GPS units). We like to play the "find a new road" game when we are just out wander around so the gps would come in handy when we are ready to head for home.

CJ Jax

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Zuni ( or anyone else), if I had one of these units would I need a mobile phone contract with a signal supplier or would I need an internet wifi subscription to get it to navigate with while on the road.

Ignorant old guy needs to know. The cost of a Zumo is well outside my budget. I see that Amazon had some very cheap oriental made waterproof GPS units for sale similar to yours.

Thanks in advance for ant tutoring

oldgoat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Good question. Google maps requires an active phone connection while traveling if you want real time tracking. I understand you can download via wifi and store maps so they are available without a phone connection, but what little I've read it sounds like a pain in the rear. The app I use, Sygic, downloads maps using a wifi connection and stores them on the tablet. Those maps are used while you're traveling. For the US Sygic downloads maps by state so you need to install only the maps for the states you are traveling through. They are Tom Tom maps, which I believe several of the independent GPS apps use. I think the iGo app may be much the same, but I haven't used it yet so can't say.

As has been said, WiFi connections are readily available all over the place, including all McDonald's and Burger Kings.

Dedicated GPS units like Garmin and Tom Tom used to need a computer for updating the maps. Whether that can now be done totally by wifi I don't know.

If you get an Android unit check the reviews about their GPS capability. It can vary, with some phones using only cell tower triangulation for coordinates. That is not good. My Samsung tablets have quite good GPS receivers built in.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Thanks Zuni & IdahoMtnSpyder.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

This is really no different than my Android tablet that has a GPS in it.
    Google maps can be a pain because you have to download the maps and you are limited to how large an "area" you can download.
    BUT you can buy full maps (like others) and install them and a GPS program. I have seen some free ones out there too.

Finally, most Android devices like this have a hard plastic screen (not glass).
    So it can be scuffed using it and if for sure should not be left in direct sunlight or the screen can go bad.

So can you tell if this has a glass screen?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Not that I don't value your input Bob but this thread was started to introduce an option not a debate on what is better. You like your tablet and I can appreciate that but it's not for me. Much like some prefer BRP oil to Amsoil or an RT over an F3. I wanted an inexpensive,
    Waterproof, option that would connect to my Sena. Here in Florida we can be in and out if rain showers multiple times in one ryde.same goes for Google Maps. It is an option (which I have replaced with TomTom Go). Not sure about the screen, maybe plastic which scratches unlike glass which breaks.
    Purpose of my post was to show an option for a 5" screen GPS that works with Sena headsets and doesn't have the Garmin price tag.

CJ Jax
    Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    This is really no different than my Android tablet that has a GPS in it.
    Google maps can be a pain because you have to download the maps and you are limited to how large an "area" you can download.
    BUT you can buy full maps (like others) and install them and a GPS program. I have seen some free ones out there too.

Finally, most Android devices like this have a hard plastic screen (not glass).
    So it can be scuffed using it and if for sure should not be left in direct sunlight or the screen can go bad.

So can you tell if this has a glass screen?

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Where did you get it ?

CJ JAX

Hi Zuni,

Can you point us to where you got it ?

Thanks !
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Currently under review is a $150 motorcycle GPS unit with an Android operating system. It has Bluetooth 4.0, iGo map system, and comes preloaded with the Google App store and browser. WiFi, 8GB ram and an expansion slot for a microSD card that supports 16GB. Claims easy use and great headset connectivity. Too good to be true??
    I just received this unit and have mounted it to the bike and have begun testing. I will post the complete shakedown including success and failures. It comes with car and bike mounts, plus car and bike wired chargers. First glance pluses for me (besides the price tag) include the Android operating system and the ability to upload third party apps. Don’t like iGo? Download Google Maps or your other favorite GPS program. Have FOBO to monitor your tire pressure? Download the app and monitor your sensors without the hefty Garmin price tag. Not a professional reviewer or tester by any means so if you have a specific question for something I can check, send me a PM or ask on the post and I will do what I can to answer it. Before the first question comes in, there is no online or electronic version of the manual for the unit. This is an unpaid review and I did not receive the product in exchange for providing a review.20170401_173738.jpg20170401_173745.jpg20170401_173938.jpg20170401_174001.jpg
    Did I miss the name of this device? Is it on the market yet?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

I purchased thorough www.aliexpress.com.
    The vendor was Prolech. You can searchby Android motorcycle GPS or MT5001. You will find several vendors. Look CLOSELYat the description if you dind a low price.
    I can attach thej exact specs for my unit tonight. You can also find them on Ebay. I regularly use Aliexpress so I am comfortable with them. I have found they will bargin, sometimes on price but more often on shipping upgrades.

CJ Jax

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi Zuni,

Can you point us to where you got it ?

Thanks !

Spyder Garage

Default Link to the unit I purchased for Specs

This is the unit I purchased and the vendor I used.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...1-951e73189b7c

CJ Jax

Spyder Garage

Wow. That is one very long URL.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

Count me in looks nice....let us know how it works

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Anxious to see you evaluation.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Default any further updates on this

I am looking for an inexpensive GPS to have on hand and was wondering how this worked.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy