Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS Tail Light out

Will a burned out tail light cause your bike to run rough, I heard something about Nannie not being happy, any truth to this. How do you go about changing the bulb?

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I don't think so

Hi Dave here
    I also have a 2008 GS and have had burned out
    tail light bulbs ( by the way they are hell to change )
    my Spyder did NOT run rough with burned out lights
    it must be something else.
    Go to your friendly neighborhood Spyder dealer
    have them check it out and while your at it
    have them change the burned out bulb
    try not to go into shock when you get the bill......
    Ride safe
    Dave

QUOTE=Rodaddy18;1240488]Will a burned out tail light cause your bike to run rough, I heard something about Nannie not being happy, any truth to this. How do you go about changing the bulb?[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Angry 2008 GS Tail Light out

Thanks Dave, I just bought my Spyder in Feb, I just got it out of the shop a week ago. I had the rear tire replaced and I got the news that I had a damaged drive belt, then they had trouble getting it lined up had it a couple of weeks. I have ridden it maybe 20 miles it makes so many squealing and roaring noises that is not even fun to ride, I just noticed I had the tail light out. The belt goes to the inside flange and has been out to the outside edge of the sprocket. Getting this Spyder has been a dream of mine since I rode the first one at The Sturgis Bike Rally in 2008, but it is turning into a nightmare. CRAP!!!!!!!

QUOTE=Rodaddy18;1240488]Will a burned out tail light cause your bike to run rough, I heard something about Nannie not being happy, any truth to this. How do you go about changing the bulb?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Default No....

Burned-out taillight may get you a brake warning possibly a limp mode even a rpm /speed limit. The rough running could be vacuum lines. You should replace them with silicone hose 4mm. The squealing could be brake dust, clean the discs with simple green. Replace the taillight bulb...there was a thread on cutting some section to make changing them easier...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tail light bulb

I burned one out about 4 years ago. No affect on running.

You can access the bulb socket thru a narrow gap on the bottom of the tail piece. That's where some people cut away some of the plastic. I was able to reach in and grasp the socket with 2 fingers (no thumb!) and turn it and pull it out. The socket is too big to pull out thru the gap but the bulb slips out so I pushed the bulb out and replaced it and then worked the socket back into place. Thin long fingers really help.

Luckily I haven't had one burn out since. :-) Have fun with that one.