Spyder Garage

Default CB and intercom questions

I'm new to the forum and my wife and I are just starting to look at Spyders. I see that there are several folks here that have rode Gold Wings and we are currently riding an '05 GL1800. I'm at the age where the Gold Wing is getting a little too much for me to handle and it's time to add another wheel. We do a lot of group riding with our local GWRRA friends and we are used to the CB radio and the intercom on the Gold Wing. What does it require to get that on a Spyder? I know a C?B is available but I don't where it mounts or how to tp get the intercom?

Thanks,
    Old Willie

Spyder Garage

Im new to the spyfer and love it so far, i want gps and a CB.
    I wondered if i can use bothe at the same time I would also love a intercom
    Set up for between rider and passenger

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BRP CB is very pricy. Somewhere around $1300. Some Spyder models come with built in GPS. I use a hand held Motorola CB with Sena Bluetooth connection to headset. Some of us also use a Motorola MU350 which is an FRS radio with Bluetooth. The problem is mounting either units on the handlebars, dash or, in my case, in the trunk. If I had a choice I'd just use my smartphone for GPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ex winger

My wife and I rode Goldwings for 13 years. For the same reason you are looking at Spyders we did also. We still ryde with our Goldwing friends. The CB is located next to the gas tank on the left side of the Spyder, under the seat. The plugs for the intercoms are located, one in the front with all the toggle switched and the passengers is located on the left side in back next to the hand hold. We have added a GPS which I have been able to work through the CB. Hope this helps. If you need more help PM me and I will try to help.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

If you contact motorcycledave.com he can set you up with headsets from Sena that will intercom to each other as well as bring your music up to your helmets as well. He can also help you with the CB communication. It is not as seamless as the Goldwing( I come from a long line of Yamaha Ventures) but it works well. Or just order your RT with the factory CB which also adds an intercom.You will need corded headsets for the intercom/CB/music/GPS interface.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

You can also have CB, Intercom, Music and GPS in wireless headsets using Sena equipment and a Midland CB with the Sena interface cable. Works well, all wireless to the headset so no cables hanging off of rider and passenger and the whole setup is far cheaper than the BRP radio. Oh, and the active noise cancellation in the Sena headsets makes the intercom work FAR better. It also works bike to bike, not just rider to passenger.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Give me a call 209-887-3283

I am also a GoldWing rider I can help you with your
    questions just call me
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post
    I'm new to the forum and my wife and I are just starting to look at Spyders. I see that there are several folks here that have rode Gold Wings and we are currently riding an '05 GL1800. I'm at the age where the Gold Wing is getting a little too much for me to handle and it's time to add another wheel. We do a lot of group riding with our local GWRRA friends and we are used to the CB radio and the intercom on the Gold Wing. What does it require to get that on a Spyder? I know a C?B is available but I don't where it mounts or how to tp get the intercom?

Thanks,
    Old Willie

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave! If we do decide to get one I will give you a call!
    Willie

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Willie View Post

Thanks,
    Old Willie
    Use Google to do a search on 'CB radio site:spyderlovers.com'. You'll find a lot of discussion, mostly panning CB and urging you to go with Bluetooth. There are good arguments for both ways. The best compromise, if you're starting all new, is BT with the handheld CB radio option. If you use CB a lot, then the BRP CB is worth considering, but as has been noted it's not cheap. But then again, it wasn't cheap on your Goldwing either! The BRP CB requires you to use corded headsets. You can have either BT headsets or BRP CB, but not both. The two negatives with the handheld CB option is finding a good place to mount it, and you have to use the Sena SR10 add-on PTT button. No one has come up with a convenient way to use the OEM PTT button for a handheld CB. It's not in my signature below but I use the BRP CB with a Firestik NGP antenna. Works good!

On the Spyder the intercom is part of the CB radio. No CB, no intercom. BT intercom is part of the BT headsets. As far as GPS all Spyders have a GPS input in the audio system. You can use any GPS unit you want. I use a Samsung tablet with Sygic app and BT connect it to a BT receiver plugged into the GPS input. If you go with BT headsets you can pair your GPS to the headsets, or to the Sena SR10 BT dongle.

Corded headsets never run out of power. BT headsets avoid the nuisance of the cords, but you have to keep the batteries charged. There's good and bad either way you go. For bike to bike communication CB is still more versatile and longer range, although BT is making progress in that arena.

The reason for using Google to do a search is the forum search function requires 4 or more letters in every word.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It is quite the job to install the Can Am CB radio. I ride with a bunch of Gold wing riders and ex- gold wing riders and it's a must for me to have a CB radio. I installed the CB radio on my first Spyder which was a 2012 RTL. The first thing I noticed I lost my FM reception which was ok because I don't listen to FM anyway. When I purchased my 2015 RT-SS I transferred the CB radio from the 2012 to the 2015. You'll be disappointed in the quality it's not straightforward like it is on the Gold wing. It took a lot of work to get it to work properly. I had to end up buying an upgraded antenna from J & M which made it workable. It's too bad that Can Am can not make an antenna that works with their own radio. Maybe the new radio from Can Am works better I don't know. To install CB radio requires an entertainment harness. Using the CB radio and trying to use an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 7 for music the phone would lock up. What I found by accident is that the Obsolete deactivating iPhone 4 or 4s works flawlessly as an MP3 player they have not failed me yet. I also have the Can Am XM radio installed. If you are installing this on a 2016 or newer I can show you a way to install XM radio for around $50.

Attached is a picture of how far down you have to do to install entertainment harness/cb. A friend of mine and I can now have the bike apart to this level between 30 to 45 minutes.

ToM
    Do what you like
    Like what you do

Life is Good😃
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    It is quite the job to install the Can Am CB radio. I ride with a bunch of Gold wing riders and ex- gold wing riders and it's a must for me to have a CB radio. I installed the CB radio on my first Spyder which was a 2012 RTL. The first thing I noticed I lost my FM reception which was ok because I don't listen to FM anyway. When I purchased my 2015 RT-SS I transferred the CB radio from the 2012 to the 2015. You'll be disappointed in the quality it's not straightforward like it is on the Gold wing. It took a lot of work to get it to work properly. I had to end up buying an upgraded antenna from J & M which made it workable. It's too bad that Can Am can not make an antenna that works with their own radio. Maybe the new radio from Can Am works better I don't know. To install CB radio requires an entertainment harness. Using the CB radio and trying to use an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 7 for music the phone would lock up. What I found by accident is that the Obsolete deactivating iPhone 4 or 4s works flawlessly as an MP3 player they have not failed me yet. I also have the Can Am XM radio installed. If you are installing this on a 2016 or newer I can show you a way to install XM radio for around $50.

Attached is a picture of how far down you have to do to install entertainment harness/cb. A friend of mine and I can now have the bike apart to this level between 30 to 45 minutes.

ToM
    Do what you like
    Like what you do

Life is Good[emoji2]
    My wife and I were also used to the Goldwing. We tried the Bluetooth route and weren't satisfied. I ended up purchasing the Can Am CB and installed it. We are completely happy now. Although the cb is pricey, it is really not much more than purchasing the Goldwing cb. One thing to remember: the Goldwing has the intercom built into the audio system. So, even if you didn't purchase a cb you could have the intercom. It's different with Can Am. The intercom is part of the cb. Finally, my Goldwing friends love the performance of my Can Am cb. They comment that it is loud and clear and reaches out a good distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Man Tom View Post
    My wife and I were also used to the Goldwing. We tried the Bluetooth route and weren't satisfied. I ended up purchasing the Can Am CB and installed it. We are completely happy now. Although the cb is pricey, it is really not much more than purchasing the Goldwing cb. One thing to remember: the Goldwing has the intercom built into the audio system. So, even if you didn't purchase a cb you could have the intercom. It's different with Can Am. The intercom is part of the cb. Finally, my Goldwing friends love the performance of my Can Am cb. They comment that it is loud and clear and reaches out a good distance.

Great what year is your Spyder and CB?

ToM
    Do what you like
    Like what you do

Life is Good😃
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

I have used a Portable CB and Sena SR10 for a couple of years. I have had differing results. I am thinking of finally going from the tried and true SMH10 headset to the 20s in hopes of clearing up some occasional problems. I am still trying to find someone with a SWR meter so I can check it with a truck type mirror antenna i have on my luggage rack. I have fewer problems with the portable antenna but am limited in distance.

I wish I could get my harley/yamaha friends into the millennium. Bluetooth communication is much better and the new 20s seems to be the answer for groups. The new 30k sounds even better. However, Motorcycle Dave says the 30k probably won't be available till late 3rd quarter.

I hope this helps.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    Great what year is your Spyder and CB?

ToM
    Do what you like
    Like what you do

Life is Good[emoji2]
    Sorry, it's a 2014 RT. Also, I purchased the Can Am CB on EBay. Think I only paid 600 bucks for it! Of course I had to purchase that additional harness and then the helmet headsets. Everything is Can Am products. And so far I am having very good luck with the antenna. But if it should start giving me problems I will replace it with the J&M antenna as other have done.

Spyder Garage

I want to thank everyone for the replies. If we do get a spyder I now have some information I can use. I plan on visiting our local dealer when we get back to southern Indiana and doing a test ride as soon as the weather will permit.