Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Smuggler problems...

Well I received my Corbin seat with smuggler trunk and things just are not installing correctly.
    I've followed the instructions to the T and the trunk remains loose as all get out.

Been in contact with Corbin and they're trying to figure it out, but there's an air of 'he installed it wrong' in the air despite me sending them photos.

The way it installs is you relocate the passenger seat locking mechanism and the trunk has a latch pin that snaps into it.
    Well, when I latch the pin in the whole thing can still move up and down about 1/2". Unreal.

My take is they installed the wrong latch pin and that it's too long. They don't seem to want to buy into that notion.

Anyone have one of these and can shed any light on this?

I know Lamont has one. What I'm looking for is a comparison to my install photos and latch pin.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Here's a video of the problem....

Spyder Garage

Another video of the obvious problem....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default looks

looks like you need to flip latch over

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    looks like you need to flip latch over
    Yeah.... that would just about do it, but it cannot mount that way and that's not what the instructions show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Corbin Customer Service = enuff said!
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Well I received my Corbin seat with smuggler trunk and things just are not installing correctly.
    I've followed the instructions to the T and the trunk remains loose as all get out.

Been in contact with Corbin and they're trying to figure it out, but there's an air of 'he installed it wrong' in the air despite me sending them photos.

The way it installs is you relocate the passenger seat locking mechanism and the trunk has a latch pin that snaps into it.
    Well, when I latch the pin in the whole thing can still move up and down about 1/2". Unreal.

My take is they installed the wrong latch pin and that it's too long. They don't seem to want to buy into that notion.

Anyone have one of these and can shed any light on this?

I know Lamont has one. What I'm looking for is a comparison to my install photos and latch pin.
    I agree with you a 100% that the wrong latch pin was installed at factory. I don't have one but from your videos ,that is my conclusion

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Smuggler problems...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    What does the latch pin look like on the passenger seat?
    Here's what the stock seat latch looks like, but that really won't tell us much as it latches in an entirely different location and thus the length would be different. I do however like how BRP put a spring on theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_5970.jpg

Spyder Garage

My seat and trunk are one unit. I didn't even know they had a separate unit. When I grab mine from the back it will lift abut 1/4" when it's latched. That hasn't been a problem for me. I do have the very first one they made so I don't know if they changed anything or not.

Spyder Garage

I will say that Corbin has been attentive in that they have returned calls, gave me a cell number to text photos to, etc.
    I've had great luck with Corbin in the past, but never had any customer service issues to deal with until now.

This order had 3 problems:

1. I called them because the stitching of the logo on the side was incorrect -- I specified that I did NOT want the tacky 'Spider Logo' on the side. They wrote up a ticket and said the best thing is to ride it for the season, then in the fall when I'm done they will have FedEx pick it up so they can recover it how I want. At this time they will also make any adjustments to the seat that I'd like. I felt this was fair and I'll just have to live with that ugly Spider on the side for the summer.

2. I called them again because the mounting hardware for the Smuggler Trunk was not included in the box. They sent the mounting hardware from Florida and I had it in two days. Fair enough.

3. Mounting the Smuggler Trunk is the current problem. Sent them more photos and videos yesterday. I received a text early this morning that they are sharing the info with their techs and will get back to me on what the fix will be. In my mind the problem must be the wrong latch pin is installed. The difficulty is this can't simply be changed by the end user as the inside of the trunk where the nut is is covered with glued-down carpet like material. So either way this is going to have to ship back to them. I'm going to push for them sending me a new trunk without the painted lid. Then I can just swap the lid to the new trunk and ship the old one back. They might not go for that... they may want the whole thing shipped back.. which I guess is okay... I just need this fixed so I can get to Spyderfest...

I didn't really buy the trunk so much for the storage as I did for the looks. The 2-up Corbin saddle for the F3 looks horrible in my opinion as it's a one-piece seat. The smuggler version has a separate front seat which looks great and then the sleek trunk on the back which doesn't hold a whole lot, but will be handy.

Here's a sample from their website of how it looks. My F3 is all black so the trunk painted to match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    My seat and trunk are one unit. I didn't even know they had a separate unit. When I grab mine from the back it will lift abut 1/4" when it's latched. That hasn't been a problem for me. I do have the very first one they made so I don't know if they changed anything or not.
    Thanks for checking. I thought you had said it was a one-piece unit.

Interesting for sure.

There is a screw hole in the back of the seat. I figured that was for the adjustment if you're using a backrest, but maybe it was supposed to have a corresponding hole in the trunk so they bolt together.... hmmmm..

Will wait and see what they say. I can probably modify this to fit and stay on....grinding 1/4" off their latch mount would probably do it, but I really hate to try that just yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I found the install instructions on their website. They seem incomplete to me. They dont show the smuggler trunk at all. Just how to relocate the latch. Hopefully their techs will be able to help you out today. Wish I could, but cant without seeing the bottom of the smuggler, and how it installs. I am guessing it has a tab that slides under the driver seat?
    Nope.. no tabs.. it just snaps into the latch and that is all that holds it on. The drivers seat has two tabs that slide into some holes on the frame. This seems to be an entirely different setup than what Lamont has on his.. his is one piece.

Hopefully with this being two-pieces they'll come out with a separate rear seat that can be swapped. That was the one downside to this setup. I'm considering modifying the stock rear seat so I can still put it on if I want.. but would rather just buy one from them if they come out with one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nope.. no tabs.. it just snaps into the latch and that is all that holds it on. The drivers seat has two tabs that slide into some holes on the frame. This seems to be an entirely different setup than what Lamont has on his.. his is one piece.

Hopefully with this being two-pieces they'll come out with a separate rear seat that can be swapped. That was the one downside to this setup. I'm considering modifying the stock rear seat so I can still put it on if I want.. but would rather just buy one from them if they come out with one.
    Are you using the Corbin seat or a stock seat?

"The Corbin front saddle and Smuggler trunk bolt together and the whole assembly mounts to your bike using the factory key lock (lock relocation required)."

Spyder Garage

Default Smuggler

Have a friend with one. Claims it opened while riding and he lost some important papers. Idk if that is a common problem, but, watch it! I happen to like their saddles, and have had many over the years. I still have 2 for the Harley's.
    Can you machine a shorter pin? Will the pin unscrew? Can you replace it with a stud and a nut? Just pondering.....joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Are you using the Corbin seat or a stock seat?

"The Corbin front saddle and Smuggler trunk bolt together and the whole assembly mounts to your bike using the factory key lock (lock relocation required)."
    Maybe that's the problem... I see no method of bolting them together, nor did they include parts to do so.. and the trunk has no hole in it that would mate up with the hole in the seat.

Just texted more photos to them and asked them about the mating of the two.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Have a friend with one. Claims it opened while riding and he lost some important papers. Idk if that is a common problem, but, watch it! I happen to like their saddles, and have had many over the years. I still have 2 for the Harley's.
    Can you machine a shorter pin? Will the pin unscrew? Can you replace it with a stud and a nut? Just pondering.....joe
    I could come up with a shorter pin, but the way they put it together the bolt holding the pin in is underneath the carpet on the inside....

Seems there's a bigger problem here in that maybe these are supposed to bolt to the seat... which their instructions make no mention of, nor did they include hardware to do it, nor is there a hole in the trunk to allow that to happen....

If it were up to me.. which I guess it is.... I'd bolt the sucker down from the inside of the trunk right to the Spyder rather than use the lock pin to hold it on. I may visit that idea.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    Corbin Customer Service = enuff said!
    Sold my Corbin after poor fit and terrible customer service. Never again.
    2015 F3 SE6 Black and Chrome, Smoothspyder Backrest and more to come.

Spyder Garage

Why is anyone still giving them their hard earned money! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Why is anyone still giving them their hard earned money! Tom
    Because they still make great seats and innovative products... just have some service issues. I had Corbins on both my 2008 GS and 2012 RT and loved them.
    I don't doubt that Corbin will take care of me on this, but I actually think I have a better way of mounting the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin customer service

Corbin customer service Never again
    2016 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Default Winning the battle...

Well, as I'm an inpatient person I've decided to just make this seat and trunk work... without help from Corbin.... haven't heard from them since Monday.

This actually is turning out for the best. One thing I really didn't like was losing the ability to use my Ultimate/Lamonster backrest. It's a far better backrest than the Corbin. Looks better. Feels better. Works better... and it has a storage pouch. I figured when I got the seat and trunk in that I would at least take a look and see if I could figure a way to mount my backrest.

Since my seat and smuggler trunk are separate units (they're supposed to somehow connect into one unit), I'm able to play with the gap between them... and managed to get enough room to use the Ultimate backrest. I had to modify Lamont's bracket system, cut some metal, drill some holes, etc... but I got it to work. Plus the way I'm mounting the trunk is superior to what Corbin does. Mine won't be loose or move around at all.

I'll post photos of what I did underneath, but here's what it's looking like. The two are supposed to but right up against each other. I'll may do something to 'fill' the gap. At least some black plastic under the seat and trunk area to cover anything, but you really can't see much and I doubt most would notice that it's not supposed to have that gap.

Feeling accomplished!
    Last edited by Firefly; 03-29-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just noticed I said 'inpatient' in the above post. I actually meant 'impatient'... but inpatient might work too as this was driving me CRAZY!

Spyder Garage

I went threw the same thing last year. I gave up trying to deal with corbin and made a few mods to get it to fit the way I want. I shortened the pin in the back as much as I could because I wanted to get it as far back as I could. They had all the hardware but you just have to find it. some pieces were so hard to find. If you dont get those 2 front tongue under the seat right, It will be loose. I took it to an upholstery shop to make the pad not as thick. I had to cut off most of the foam.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I went threw the same thing last year. I gave up trying to deal with corbin and made a few mods to get it to fit the way I want. I shortened the pin in the back as much as I could because I wanted to get it as far back as I could. They had all the hardware but you just have to find it. some pieces were so hard to find. If you dont get those 2 front tongue under the seat right, It will be loose. I took it to an upholstery shop to make the pad not as thick. I had to cut off most of the foam.
    Here is the thread I had on it last year but mine was an ST Limited. sounds like I went threw the same type experiences athat you are going threw though.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...on-From-Corbin
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Here is the thread I had on it last year but mine was an ST Limited. sounds like I went threw the same type experiences athat you are going threw though.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...on-From-Corbin
    Wow. Just read through your thread. You had some real problems with them.
    My seats from them have always been great. Never had a problem.
    Sure seems like they lack organization, communication and quality control.
    Mines gonna work out just fine.