Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment

Two weeks ago I purchased a 2017 F3 Limitted and I mention to my dealer about a laser alignment because I noticed it being mention a lot on Spyder Lovers forums. My dealer said it wouldn't need it because BRP is doing a better job when the come from the factory and if I did want it done I would have to pay for it! Any thoughts and what does a laser alignment cost?

Spyder Garage

You can check with Leo's South in Lakeville. Talk to Cathy in service and have Nick do the work. I have been dealing with them since 1995 and highly recommend them. I just purchased a 2016 F3T from them and my wife bought a 2010 RT back then. We have had several friends purchase Spyders from them. Check them out.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ALIGNMENT

BRP -alignment if they are doing it better that's news to us here ..... Of course yours may be one in 50 that are really close ..... you will know after about 5000 miles, because that's about how long it will take ........... UNLESS - they are really, really bad - like the guy in Fla. whose tires wore out in 700 miles ( no BS ) and that dealer tried to tell Him He needed to ROTATE them ( never do this to correct un-even tire wear ) ........ If you do get it Lazer aligned - go to someone who has the Rolo - TruTrac system, this is the genuine Nascar approved system ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNBK View Post
    You can check with Leo's South in Lakeville. Talk to Cathy in service and have Nick do the work. I have been dealing with them since 1995 and highly recommend them. I just purchased a 2016 F3T from them and my wife bought a 2010 RT back then. We have had several friends purchase Spyders from them. Check them out.

I'm assuming you mean Lakeville, MN? Do you have their phone number? How much is it $$$

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by I-Day View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Lakeville, MN? Do you have their phone number? How much is it $$$
    ​I think that most places performing the Rolo laser alignments are charging about $125.00. Some won't charge you if the alignment isn't needed.

Spyder Garage

Caswell's in Mora, Mn. I think they charge $150.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes the Leo's in Lakeville. Phone number is 952-435-5371. They are closed on Sunday and Mondays they open at 10am on Tuesday. If Cathy is not there ask for Nathan, he is the service manager. Not sure on the cost. Tell them Dave Smith sent you in. I don't get anything but just want them to know Cheri and I spread the word about them. They're good people and family owned.

Spyder Garage

Default lazer

Quote Originally Posted by MNBK View Post
    Yes the Leo's in Lakeville. Phone number is 952-435-5371. They are closed on Sunday and Mondays they open at 10am on Tuesday. If Cathy is not there ask for Nathan, he is the service manager. Not sure on the cost. Tell them Dave Smith sent you in. I don't get anything but just want them to know Cheri and I spread the word about them. They're good people and family owned.
    I dopped my 2014rt off at Caswells yesterday for a lazer and new shoes.I should be getting it back this week and can let you know the difference.Price for the lazer was $130.
    I have 15k miles on it and the front tires were cupping very bad. Les said it was not from alignment but bad tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by littledeer View Post
    I dopped my 2014rt off at Caswells yesterday for a lazer and new shoes.I should be getting it back this week and can let you know the difference.Price for the lazer was $130.
    I have 15k miles on it and the front tires were cupping very bad. Les said it was not from alignment but bad tires.
    What tires are you going to put on?
    2020 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I would say any tire wear of this type is due to improper inflation and or toe adjustment. Laser is just a method and is not more or less accurate than other toe adjustment methods. A true alignment involves much more than simple toe and toe has very little affect on handling. The main objective to toe adjustment is to control tire wear. Typical setting is 1/4 to 5/16 positive on a rear wheel drive vehicle. This adjustment compensates for torque induced tire deformation and camber nothing more. $130 is not outrageous and a simple toe adjustment should only take a few moments to complete barring overly tightened lock nuts.

I would also stay clear of the Kenda tires. Continentals seem to be a good alternate. I get over 40k on mine so obviously happy with the tires and toe adjustments (non-laser set)
    Last edited by Lurker; 03-26-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Lazer and tires

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I would say any tire wear of this type is due to improper inflation and or toe adjustment. Laser is just a method and is not more or less accurate than other toe adjustment methods. A true alignment involves much more than simple toe and toe has very little affect on handling. The main objective to toe adjustment is to control tire wear. Typical setting is 1/4 to 5/16 positive on a rear wheel drive vehicle. This adjustment compensates for torque induced tire deformation and camber nothing more. $130 is not outrageous and a simple toe adjustment should only take a few moments to complete barring overly tightened lock nuts.

I would also stay clear of the Kenda tires. Continentals seem to be a good alternate. I get over 40k on mine so obviously happy with the tires and toe adjustments (non-laser set)
    Michaelscs I am going with Kuhmos all the way around. I see you live close to me. Give me a shout sometime if your up for a ride.

Spyder Garage

Default Alignment

We just had our 08 GS and 15 F3S aligned at Caswell's last week. We rode up from Owatonna, MN just because of the great service. I had Loe's laser align my 08 GS 3 years ago and it never did handle well and the tires wore crooked. I contacted them about the issue and they insisted that it was correct without even looking at it and wanted to charge me to bring it back in. I will never go back to Loe's again. It was worth the extra 100 miles to go to Caswell's. They are great to work with and not just trying to make an extra buck off you.

Spyder Garage

Leo's price is $190.00 T.P.

Spyder Garage

Default Alignment

Think I'm going to Jaycox in Worthington! $150.00

Spyder Garage

My OEM tires cupped within 2000 miles - even after laser alignment - once I switched to Kumhos no more cupping. I have looked at a lot of Spyders that are running OEM tires and would say about 30% are cupping.
    Good choice on going to Caswell's - good people that will treat you right. They have a meet and greet this Saturday so if you can stop in, and meet a number of MN Spyder riders.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Michaelscs I am going with Kuhmos all the way around. I see you live close to me. Give me a shout sometime if your up for a ride.
    I sent you a PM.
    2020 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Default Caswalls Laser alignment

I got my 2014 RT back from Caswells with the new Kuhmos and the lazer done. WOW It is never handled like this from new. It is like it is riding on rails. I let go of the handle bars at 75 and it went straight as a arrow down the road. I would highly recomend having it done even if your spyder is new. Great people to work with. Might see some of you at Caswells on Sat. weather permiting. Happy trails and safe riding.

Spyder Garage

My new F3-t came laser aligned thank you Pitbull motor sports!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Makes no difference at all whether or not the toe up front is aligned to the rear tire. It will not affect tracking at all. On a vehicle, only a fixed rear wheel can affect tracking. In other words, your toe can be WAY off, and it will not cause your spyder to "dog-walk". As long as the handlebars are centered when the toe is set, thats it! Thats the best you can do. The laser alignments are only using the rear tire as a reference point to set the toe measurments.
    I'm not sure I can agree 100%. If the rear wheel is cocked to one side the frame centerline will be at a slight angle to direction of travel of the rear tire. If the frame centerline is not parallel to direction of travel then the front wheels will need to be slightly turned with respect to the frame so that they track parallel to the rear tire track. There is a steering angle setting in the VSS that has to agree with the front wheel to frame alignment. How much mismatch there can be in frame to tracking alignment without causing a VSS problem I do not know.

Whether or not the laser alignment method will give you better results than all other methods is subject to debate. But the factory alignment procedure is a bit crude and relies solely on setting the front wheel tracking parallel to the frame with a fairly loose tolerance. It doesn't account for rear tire mistracking. There are two shortcomings to the factory method. First is the preciseness of the settings, and the second is tracking vs. the VSS steering angle setting caused by the rear tire not being parallel to the frame. The laser alignment method referencing the rear tire obviates any problem of the frame not being parallel to the bike travel path.

The factory method can get the front wheel alignment 'good enough.' The laser alignment method makes it pretty easy to get the front wheel alignment 'really good!' It really is a matter of degree. A matter of degree that the experience of many here has determined does matter.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

149.95 at Ride Now but that's in Gainesville Fl. It should come done from the the factory you would think. Since it's up to date tech.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I purchased my F3T last year I asked the dealer about a laser alignment, as I was about to ride from D.C. to Spyderfest. They told me it was brand new and didn't require one. When I got to Spyderfest, I had the alignment done by Squared Away and and they told me at the time that it was in the top 10 most out of line brand new Spyder they have seen. The ride home was like night and day. The alignment is well worth the money and I recommend you get "Squared Away" if you are heading to Spyderfest.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pickels View Post
    My new F3-t came laser aligned thank you Pitbull motor sports!

Elite dealers like Pit Bull and Pro-caliber will laser align out of the crate. I'm sure there are others, but most dealers have no idea what a laser alignment even is.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Elite dealers like Pit Bull and Pro-caliber will laser align out of the crate. I'm sure there are others, but most dealers have no idea what a laser alignment even is.
    The
    Mancuso dealers here in Houston know exactly what a laser alignment is and where to refer a customer to get the job done. BRP not covering the cost as a warranty item is one of the big reasons they decided not to do this in house but refer their customers to me.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

My 2012 was badly toed out and I can tell you it handled terribly, after a laser alignment it was great. Our new F3 was not toe out but the front tires were not aligned with the rear tire and it was crabbing down the road. I would HIGHLY recommend laser alignment to anyone with a spyder.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White