Thread: BRP DAMPER

Spyder Garage

Default BRP DAMPER

Another Brp Damper failure.
    I didn't even get 300 miles before the vibration was back. not even a bearing just plastic on plastic. I cold smell it when I got in the garage
    sure enough wobbled around.
    not sure what to do.

Spyder Garage

Buy Doc Humphreys tensioner. Way better built.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Where did you get it..? How did you pay..? Return it to the purchase location or put a claim thru your credit card company.... then get Doc's...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The BRP damper definitely has ball bearings in them. I have installed quite a few without any failures. Not to say there are not defective ones but BRP has shipped many hundreds of these and the failures are not wide spread. My wife has about 5000 miles on hers.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get in touch with Doc: he'll fix you up right!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Being new to the Spyder is this an OEM part or something added for an improvement
    2016 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michrick View Post
    Being new to the Spyder is this an OEM part or something added for an improvement
    From what I have been able to determine, about 80-90% of the Spyders experience this over time. BRP made a idler kit for the F3 to reduce this. Since I have both an RT and a F3, I thought, "Hum, what would it take to modify this for use on the RT. So, that is where the first adaptor kit was made. WE called that a "RTBK" RT Belt Kit and sold them for $40. Before we started offering them we did a recording of a complete shock failure (see the below video, especially the end) since BRP stated that the kit could not be used on the RT since it could damage the gas tank in the event of a suspension failure. This is on my wife's RT, and I for sure wanted her safe.
    So, if answer to your question, if you use the BRP F3 idler with our adaptor, it is OEM but not for the RT.

Since I did not like the initial "out of the bag" pulley play, we developed kits to work in a very wide circumstance. (see video)

Here is a link of all the different kits available. The RTBK is on the other products page.
    http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products

Feel free to ask more questions. I replaced several F3 idlers that had started to have excessive play, so I don't think that this failure problem will be strictly on the RT, but the F3 also.

Spyder Garage

Default Damper Fix

I bought a little conveyor roller on ebay. Drilled out the BRP damper to 5/16 cut the plastic shaft that went into the original roller back to about 1/8 inch. a 5/16 washer on both sides seems to work so far needs more testing.
    Its not that I dislike Docs roller but after spend 60 dollars for the BRP damper and Docs kit. I wasn't looking to spend another hundred.
    If this doesn't work ill probably stay with the majority and run without one.
    I spent 1.79 for the roller and 3 bucks for the bolt and nyloc nut and a little time.
    Ill cut the bolt off after I know it works
    ill letn you know how it worksthumbnail_20170402_120125.jpgthumbnail_20170402_120152.jpgthumbnail_20170402_120204.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The BRP damper definitely has ball bearings in them. I have installed quite a few without any failures. Not to say there are not defective ones but BRP has shipped many hundreds of these and the failures are not wide spread. My wife has about 5000 miles on hers.
    We also have thousands of miles on our F3dampeners with no issues. The only failures I've seen reported are F3 dampeners that have been adapted to RT's.

Spyder Garage

Default Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    We also have thousands of miles on our F3dampeners with no issues. The only failures I've seen reported are F3 dampeners that have been adapted to RT's.
    The ribbed belt on the early RT's probably contribute to those failures since the ribbing is very substantial & the roller diameter is small by comparison.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What do you think

Why do you think failure only occurs with the adapted installations?

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Why do you think failure only occurs with the adapted installations?
    Do we have any working theories on this?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am about to install a BRP damper on my RT. I made the adapter without issue. What I find interesting is that in the installed position, there is almost ZERO tension on the spring. What sort of "pounds" tension should I expect the pulley to push on the belt?