Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Roadside or not to Roadside.....that is the question.

Hello all. Befuddled by the moaning about a "maybe-might-possible-could happen" tow made me think about Roadside Insurance. I looked at the BRP 2 year policy and it only insures up to $200 USD and even indicates there are areas not covered. I looked at AMA and they are one step up but will only tow 35 miles at best.....then you are on your own. I also looked at AAA and they want an extra (currently I have this for my car) $50.00 for their "recreational" toy policy. Geico is currently charging me $7. yearly for roadside but with very vague terms.

Thoughts anyone as to who has what and if the policy was ever used. By the end of this year I plan on putting 15,000 miles on my beast and would like to know the Billy-Bob tow crew () will not be cleaning me out should I need help.

Spyder Garage

Default Roadside or not to Roadside.....that is the question.

The standard Spyder warranty covers 2 years. The BEST covers you for however many years extra you may have purchased.
    I also have Dairyland insurance on my Spyder which comes with roadside coverage.
    Over 100,000 miles and never had to use any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Would NOT be without

As a distance Ryder would not be without. I started with AAA ( no complaints). Used once. Then started looking for the better and that is when I found Good Sam. I had to use last year on way to Spyderfest in the middle of nowhere Kansas... dang jumping rock attacked my right front wheel, as I was gawking at 65 mph, split the rim..Good Sam served me verrrrry well. BRP and AMA ( I have both cause they just come with membership) maybe better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick. But that maybe debatable...
    it is an insurance... always would be nice if you never needed. The little Saturday incident would have cost me out of pocket about $2000 to get to a Spyder dealer for new wheel...my cost 0000000. Yep would not be without.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Good Sam

When we are hauling the spyder in the toyhauler covers the truck and camper.

Gary

All I want to do is ride!

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say...

I had allstate and then AAA and they both have been great. What insurance do you have on the spyder and do they offer roadside assistance...?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I had allstate and then AAA and they both have been great. What insurance do you have on the spyder and do they offer roadside assistance...?
    Gieco for $7.00 (I'm not joking) covers my roadside on top of the 2 year BRP roadside. I think I'll leave this until the BRP plan disolves in almost two years cause I only recently purchased my beast. After BRP I'm leaning towards AAA because its an add-on to my current AAA and they are nationwide with excellent customer service.

Spyder Garage

Default Check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Gieco for $7.00 (I'm not joking) covers my roadside on top of the 2 year BRP roadside. I think I'll leave this until the BRP plan disolves in almost two years cause I only recently purchased my beast. After BRP I'm leaning towards AAA because its an add-on to my current AAA and they are nationwide with excellent customer service.
    Your BRP roadside will only cover about 35-50 miles of hauling your Spyder. Same with Geico (I have Geico on my truck)...and Same with Dairyland that I have on Spyder. Might just be how I travel...but the "little dab will do you" is great for me when I don't need it. As I posted earlier...that answers why I willing buy Good Sam every year.
    Of course do what works for you. But I'm just hoping that you will look into how much they are reallllly going to cover if you would need. So many folks have felt they had roadside only to discover that it is very very limited.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Roadside ins.

We have Progressive motorcycle insurance with roadside and trip interruption for $ 15.00.Roadside assistance

If you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption

Spyder Garage

Default And then

Quote Originally Posted by threefingers2 View Post
    We have Progressive motorcycle insurance with roadside and trip interruption for $ 15.00.Roadside assistance

If you get stuck or your bike is disabled, we’ll tow it to the nearest repair shop for free. You just have to be within 100 feet of the road. You can also add trip interruption to pay for food and lodging expenses up to $500 if you’re away from home (you must have roadside assistance first then add trip interruption
    The nearest shop may only prove to be a storage facility. If, they are not a Can Am authorized Spyder dealership.

If you're in the middle of BFE, that'll likely be the case.

Just deciphering the fine print.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking that when it says nearest repair shop that wouldn't be a storage facility. Unless storage units have repair services i'm not aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    The nearest shop may only prove to be a storage facility. If, they are not a Can Am authorized Spyder dealership.

If you're in the middle of BFE, that'll likely be the case.

Just deciphering the fine print.

Spyder Garage

AAA RV plus, I would think they have very good coverage area.

Spyder Garage

I also have Good Sam, never used it but have it. It covers all my vehicles including motorcycle. Unlimited millage to closest repair facility. Very reasonable rates. Had CAA which is the sister company of AAA and needed it once in Florida. AAA refused to take it in the US.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Arrow clarification

Quote Originally Posted by threefingers2 View Post
    I'm thinking that when it says nearest repair shop that wouldn't be a storage facility. Unless storage units have repair services i'm not aware of.
    No sir, what i meant is that the nearest repair facility if not a Spyder authorized dealer would likely end up being a place of safe keeping for the spyder until it could be relocated to a spyder authorized repair facility.

Nearest repair facility and Can Am authorized dealer are not synonymous.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

I've had to use AMA's MOTOW on two occasions.
    I sure they cover all the vehicles you own. 2,3 or 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I have AMA for 35 miles anywhere! Dairyland appears to be about 35-40 also and I still have BRP on the F3.
    I rarely (Never Yet) have gone More than 70 miles from home One way with my Spyders So I'm pretty well covered.
    Never yet had a Breakdown and Do Not worry about one.
    AMA also does your vehicle and MY jet ski trailer for 35 miles if I ever burn up a wheel hub and I jetski within 35 miles from home!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

​Understandable Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    No sir, what i meant is that the nearest repair facility if not a Spyder authorized dealer would likely end up being a place of safe keeping for the spyder until it could be relocated to a spyder authorized repair facility.

Nearest repair facility and Can Am authorized dealer are not synonymous.

Spyder Garage

Default BRP also

I learned also the BRP roadside $200 coverage is per incident say. Flat tire (broke rim, whatever) they will only cover that item for towing once up to $200. (I may be wrong but that is how it was explained to me when I had my first flat & nearest dealer with tire in stock was 100 miles out that 1item is done can not use again) Sometimes you may not know why your bike needs a tow till it reaches a dealer. (I had to do the dealer search myself overnight & check tire stock.)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mpsicon View Post
    AAA RV plus, I would think they have very good coverage area.
    Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have AMA for 35 miles anywhere! Dairyland appears to be about 35-40 also and I still have BRP on the F3.
    I rarely (Never Yet) have gone More than 70 miles from home One way with my Spyders So I'm pretty well covered.
    Never yet had a Breakdown and Do Not worry about one.
    AMA also does your vehicle and MY jet ski trailer for 35 miles if I ever burn up a wheel hub and I jetski within 35 miles from home!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    I learned also the BRP roadside $200 coverage is per incident say. Flat tire (broke rim, whatever) they will only cover that item for towing once up to $200. (I may be wrong but that is how it was explained to me when I had my first flat & nearest dealer with tire in stock was 100 miles out that 1item is done can not use again) Sometimes you may not know why your bike needs a tow till it reaches a dealer. (I had to do the dealer search myself overnight & check tire stock.)
    True all. Dairyland and AMA limit the miles needed to tow at roughly 35-50 miles. AAA offers up to 200 miles for extra (always extra!). I currently have AAA for my car at 100 miles and had it for more than 20 years without a single use. AAA RV seems VERY attractive because of their policies. BRP "seems" too restrictive at both the miles and the $200 which is VERY cheap as towing gets VERY expensive when your pants are down in zombie country. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Do any of the above --^^^^^^^ in particular AAA, do a short term coverage -- say for a couple of months ?
    Have to do some research

Spyder Garage

Default AAA with Motorcycle endorsement

I seem to recall that they cover tow up to 200 miles. i can not confirm right now.

Spyder Garage

Default Roadside Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The standard Spyder warranty covers 2 years. The BEST covers you for however many years extra you may have purchased.
    I also have Dairyland insurance on my Spyder which comes with roadside coverage.
    Over 100,000 miles and never had to use any of it.

But it probably goes without saying that as soon as you drop the roadside coverage, you're going to end up needing it the next time you ride. And then, what? Not too many handy good samaritans around in time of need with a trailer large enough to transport a Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    But it probably goes without saying that as soon as you drop the roadside coverage, you're going to end up needing it the next time you ride. And then, what? Not too many handy good samaritans around in time of need with a trailer large enough to transport a Spyder.
    With Dairyland there is no option to 'drop' the roadside coverage.. if you insure through them you get it automatically.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Roadside Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    With Dairyland there is no option to 'drop' the roadside coverage.. if you insure through them you get it automatically.

I have Geico currently, but they will only transport up to 20 miles, before you're charged so much for each additional mile. And the insurance company for the cars which gives excellent service for veterans, does not insurance for motorcycles. I'd have an extended warranty as well, if there were reliable, inexpesive, full service warranties to be had.

Spyder Garage

Default ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE

I have had AAA insurance for over 20 years and added the premium coverage when I bought my first Spyder in 2013. They will tow my Spyder up to 200 miles for free. I have had to use it once from my house to my dealer 90 miles away. Well worth the extra coverage IMO.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Good Sam Club

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Hello all. Befuddled by the moaning about a "maybe-might-possible-could happen" tow made me think about Roadside Insurance. I looked at the BRP 2 year policy and it only insures up to $200 USD and even indicates there are areas not covered. I looked at AMA and they are one step up but will only tow 35 miles at best.....then you are on your own. I also looked at AAA and they want an extra (currently I have this for my car) $50.00 for their "recreational" toy policy. Geico is currently charging me $7. yearly for roadside but with very vague terms.

Thoughts anyone as to who has what and if the policy was ever used. By the end of this year I plan on putting 15,000 miles on my beast and would like to know the Billy-Bob tow crew () will not be cleaning me out should I need help.

I see where the Good Sam Club has a new membership deal for $79 per year, and they do cover motorcycles. And will tow an unlimited number of miles. GS was initially created for RV owners, but has expanded to motorcycles. The $79 offer, expires in something like 8 hours plus. But I think I'll be joining this next payday.