Spyder Garage

Default Spyder leaking gas from Right Side when started after 5 months

Hello,

I finally went to storage and pulled out the bike and tried to start it and it fired up right away. After a while I smelled gas and initially thought since it hasn't been on for 4+ month that was normal but after a while I saw there was a slow stream on the right side of the bike. It's not there when the bike is on and I didn't have my tool kit to open up the side panel and the tool for the saddle bag so I just took pictures. Any help would be appreciated as to why this would be the case.

It was started once in the entire 5 months sitting there and nothing else could have touched it / caused this. I wanted to take it for a ride but was scared if it would be spark or something. I hope she is ok and doesn't need too much work.

IMG_20170325_154141.jpgIMG_20170325_154136.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    Hello,

I finally went to storage and pulled out the bike and tried to start it and it fired up right away. After a while I smelled gas and initially thought since it hasn't been on for 4+ month that was normal but after a while I saw there was a slow stream on the right side of the bike. It's not there when the bike is on and I didn't have my tool kit to open up the side panel and the tool for the saddle bag so I just took pictures. Any help would be appreciated as to why this would be the case.

It was started once in the entire 5 months sitting there and nothing else could have touched it / caused this. I wanted to take it for a ride but was scared if it would be spark or something. I hope she is ok and doesn't need too much work.

That's where the gas filter is located most likely the hoses have come off or broken .It is right above the exhaust pipe so bring your marshmallows
    Last edited by jtoro1; 03-26-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hello,

If it is your gas filter be careful when removing the line for it may be under pressure and will spray gas on you. Don't use regular worm clamps on the line. Get you some clamps that are for fuel injection lines. Like these.
    https://www.delcity.net/store/Fuel-I...98729.h_798815
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a handful of fuel related components right there. Your going to need to pull the panels and have a look. Otherwise it's just a guess. Good thing is that leak is really bad, so it should be easy to spot the source. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Second all these. Plus two more things come to mind also. A critter sharpening his teeth on your fuel line - since it's been in storage for awhile. And every so often one of those quick disconnects on the top of the fuel tank will start to leak. I guess all the models have the same two - the fuel pump outlet and the return from the throttle body. Fuel pump pressure is nominally 75# so it can spray a bit. Sometimes all you need to do is take it off and put it back on, but most folks replace it.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-25-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above

And agree your gonna have to pull the panels to see whats going on behind there. Loose connections and such don't generally leak that much so be careful when going in there....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much all for the reply. I just need the givi saddle bag tool to pull off the saddle bags and then I'll be able to see what's going on behind there. I will update you guys soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hope the gas tank seam isn't leaking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    hope the gas tank seam isn't leaking
    I'm just ordered the tool to get the saddle bag off so I'll open the right side panel and then I'll post pictures of exactly what could be leaking

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

hows the insurance?

fire it up in driveway and then go for a walk

just kidding , hope its not serious and its a quick fix

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the suggestions. So the weather in NY finally got good enough to work on it. Pulled the fairing and then pulled the black nozzle which connects to the thinga majige and inside there the seal (rubber piece) broke. Replaced it with a new one and that did the trick.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the suggestions. So the weather in NY finally got good enough to work on it. Pulled the fairing and then pulled the black nozzle which connects to the thinga majige and inside there the seal (rubber piece) broke. Replaced it with a new one and that did the trick.
    Glad to hear problem solved. Thank you for posting that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I'm glad you got it fixed!

I'm glad you got it fixed without a major overhaul or fire from the leaking gas! Enjoy your spring season riding!

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the help/suggestions. I took the bike to work and LOVED every minute of it. WOOOHOOO! Finally riding season

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're "Back on Three"!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black