Spyder Garage

Default Jump Starting a 2009 can am spyder GS

So I'm
    about to go to pull my bike out of storage and I'm worried it won't start since I haven't touched it all winter. In the case, I have to jump it I know under the seat there should be leads for positive and negative, but my only concern is when I'm jumping it do I need to have my car on or off. I remember when I had my motorcycle it was always that do not have the engine running of your car when jumping the bike. Please advise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    So I'm
    about to go to pull my bike out of storage and I'm worried it won't start since I haven't touched it all winter. In the case, I have to jump it I know under the seat there should be leads for positive and negative, but my only concern is when I'm jumping it do I need to have my car on or off. I remember when I had my motorcycle it was always that do not have the engine running of your car when jumping the bike. Please advise.
    Not running-You remembered right.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Not running-You remembered right.
    Thank you for the prompt reply. And thanks for the clarification.

Spyder Garage

Default Jumping a Can Am

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    So I'm
    I have a 2012 Can Am Spyder RT-S. One of things I had done, was to have the battery leads attached to the battery, for the Battery Tender I obtained, solely for the Spyder. That way you can keep the Spyder on the Tender all winter long. But in answer to you question, a car's fully charged battery should have enough juice to jump start your Spyder without the car running. And to be safe, it shouldn't be running.

Spyder Garage

Hi tecnodog7,

Re: So I'm about to go to pull my bike out of storage and I'm worried it won't start

Have you tried it yet? My first winter with my '08 sitting in my garage and no tender, it started right up after sitting about 5-6 months.

Now, to be on the safe side, I use a tender & start her up & get her warm every month or so during the winter.

Jerry Baumchen
    Last edited by JerryB; 03-25-2017 at 07:14 PM.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi tecnodog7,

Re: So I'm about to go to pull my bike out of storage and I'm worried it won't start

Have you tried it yet? My first winter with my '08 sitting in my garage and no tender, it started right up after sitting about 5-6 moths.

Now, to be on the safe side, I use a tender & start her up & get her warm every month or so during the winter.

Jerry Baumchen
    It started up right away but I have a different problem now which I'm going to open up a thread. I see on the right hand side there is a lot of gas leaking. SMELLS terrible and it's a drip. I don't understand what could cause this as I started the bike ONCE the entire winter and it hasn't been touched. Of course I didn't have all the tools with me so I couldn't open up the right side panel to see what could be the causes of it but any help would be appreciated.