Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worried

Spyder Garage

Default Worried

Worried

I'm a new owner of a 2014 RT. Over the years I've been on many airplane and motorcycle forums. This seems to be a great spider forum. As I read through it I read horror stories about these Spiders breaking down. This is frighting to me, maybe because I'm coming from Honda's that didn't seem to have problems. So I'm looking for some stories that talk about how great the spider is. Does anyone have 50000 miles with no problems?
    Thanks nerve-is Neil 73 years old. Ridden motorcycles for 60 years still going strong.

Spyder Garage

We have a 2014 RT Ltd with 31,000 miles, no problems, plenty of farkles and totally enjoying it. First Spyder was a 2012 RT Ltd, 13,000 miles with no problems. Great bikes!

Sent from my HTC M10.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Rupp View Post

Worried

I'm a new owner of a 2014 RT. Over the years I've been on many airplane and motorcycle forums. This seems to be a great spider forum. As I read through it I read horror stories about these Spiders breaking down. This is frighting to me, maybe because I'm coming from Honda's that didn't seem to have problems. So I'm looking for some stories that talk about how great the spider is. Does anyone have 50000 miles with no problems?
    Thanks nerve-is Neil 73 years old. Ridden motorcycles for 60 years still going strong.
    Hey ....been riding harleys for 40 yrs...got 2014rts last yr...put 13k on it last year...no problems...nock on wood...grt ride...not as fun as 2wheels but getting there..got luck...go to Facebook club for better storys about fun😎😎😎

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

28,000 no problems

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    28,000 no problems
    Did u do brake pads yet

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Neil,
    It's just the nature of open forums: folks like to gripe about stuff!
    Besides: everyone who is out happily riding... is too busy to post about it!

Ride More Worry Less.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Neil, dont worry about it. The only thing you seem to read about on forums is the bad stuff. I see the same thing on the Victory, GL1800, and suzuki forums. You need to remember there are ALOT of people out there riding that are not on the forums or have not had a problem. You just dont know about them because they dont complain about the good stuff. Ride and enjoy!!!
    Well said

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Read between the lines...There's always someone that seem to have problems, doesn't matter if it's Harley, Honda, Suzuki etc. Spyder seems to be well engineered. As time goes on Can Am will have more dealers in place giving us more choices for service. I traded Harley Street Glide for my 2016 RT Limited, getting service on a Harley is no issue dealers are everywhere....They have had 100 years to get there. Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about it, I know that's what I'm doing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2013 RTL, with 21,000+ miles and I cannot remember having an issue. Knocking on wood, but I also love my dealer. There is a closer dealer, and he is fairly new to BRP, they sell most everything but HD. Used them once, mounted brakes wrong, took 3.5 weeks to do the 15K check, won't be back. Return to the dealer 50 miles away, always great, helpful and worth it.

Joe Bleau
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

The loudest people seem to be remembered the most on forums. When it comes to major complaints and issues, they get brought to the forefront, not the happy people who love their machines and are riding all the time.

I have a little experience. See my signature below. Been with the product from day one. First sold to a customer in Alaska. I bought at least three "new and untested" versions, and have been okay with all of them. I guess they called us "beta testers."

My advice, enjoy your . Don't worry about what "might" happen. The odds are that, like many others, you will be happy and not experience any bad issues. If things happen, that is what the warranty is for.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got 99 problems, but my Spyder ain't one
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy it and enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Default Nerve-is Neil, you should...

...get a Spyder. I too came from Honda - VTX 1800s - and loved that bike. But, as I aged we decided that 3 wheels would be better for us. Really glad we got Spyder RT. The only problem I've had is when I didn't check the oil and, of course, it let me know. My fault, not BRP. With a Spyder, you can ride another 60 years!!
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another way to look at this may be in how you view or plan a trip in your car or truck.

When I leave home with my GMC Terrain for a long trip, I try to check that everything is filled and secured, I know that someday this thing is going to fail, but I do not dwell on this point during my trip. By the way I just completed a trip from Ohio to Florida and not once during the trip did I think that I was going to be stranded, only before the journey began.

When I leave for a short or long trip with the Sypder, I do exactly the same prep and think the same concerns. I have not had issues, but someday I will, oh, not true, one time at the neighborhood gas station it would not start. My bad, the battery terminal was loose.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Buy it and enjoy.

Buy The Motorcycle.jpg

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Neil,
    I can understand where you might get a bad impression when reading about some problems that some folks have had. But as others have said, people don't usually come on here to talk about how nothing bad ever happens on their trips.
    I would bet very large amounts of money that there are far more people that have done numerous long trips with no problems than the ones that have experienced something negative.
    Are these machines perfect? No. But nothing is any more especially with all the high tech stuff in all machines now.
    My wife and I tend to ONLY use our Spyder for long trips and not much just around home. We've done I think 5 long trips on our 14, the longest being about 5,000 miles. Have not had a problem on the road yet but we could. But it isn't going to stop us however.
    This year we are going basically across Canada and back for the Homecoming event and beyond. I'm not worried about what might happen and if something does happen, we'll deal with it.
    I think that you just need to do some trips and build up your confidence in the Spyder. You might have an issue occur because nothing is guaranteed but I'm willing to bet that you will be more likely to be among the silent majority.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

I now have close to 40,000 with no problems. I was a mechanic for Honda, Suzuki, Kawazaki and polaris and believe me they all have issues. It's this new medium that can make and break products. So consider this.....there are 100,000 spyders out there. There are 23,000 members here (not all have spyders) of which maybe 1,000 post regularly. Out of those a small percentage have major problems and some of those are owner caused. Relax you have a great ryde enjoy it have seen some with over 100,000....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Atlas to see this post!

I am thankful that this post was originated. I am a NEW Spyder owner also. Just purchased a 2017 F3 Limitted after riding two wheels for 40 years and after reading many posts I started thinking oh my what did I do. Are these things junk after spending 30k I haven't been sleeping very well. I realize any bike can break down. Over 40 years of riding I had many obstacles to overcome on two wheels. It is nice to see the veteran Spyder owners speak up about the good qualities of these bikes. For instance I am anticipating the stock rear tire will not last to long and want to replace it with a quality car tire but not sure how that would ride. I also know that not many dealers will put a car tire on. My last ride was the big Kawasaki 2000 and went thru rear tires at 4500 miles but my dealer would not put a car tire on for me. Any good advise is very much appreciated to us newbeeeees!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will turn 100,000 mikes tomorrow or Monday on my 2014 RTS-SM6 with no issues.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

This is a great board for finding fixes and mods. The problems poster usually have a fix listed with it. Can't beat this a a great reference model of information. A lot of very negligible people here. Only real massive grip has been the tires that BRP uses. Total crap. For mounting a car tire any auto tire store will mount them only if you take in the tire and rim, not the bike.
    I have 20K on my 2014 and have never had an issue. Common down to Spyderfest and see what U can do to your 2014 and talk to the experts.

Spyder Garage

Default Worried

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The loudest people seem to be remembered the most on forums.
    Count me in as another one of the Spyder owners that have several thousand miles under my belt, and no complaints. I previously owned the 2013 RTS, and absolutely loved that thing, and it was even better when they added the air scoops for better heat management. I currently own the 2016 F3T and love it so much, I commute to work in Atlanta traffic, and arrive much happier than my "cager" counterparts.

The only time I post on here is if I feel I have something of value to add… Like figuring out a technical issue with an accessory. Otherwise I'm just a lurker on here, and have often used the information and guidance other forum members have provided with great success and satisfaction, but don't necessarily take the time to post replies/thanks, which I probably should do. I'm too busy riding!

The one thing that I am impressed with BRP … If there is an issue that needs to be corrected, they have no problems issuing a recall. Something I understand my Harley Davidson – riding friends rarely get to experience.

I've been riding Spyders for four years now and I'm so happy I found these machines. Today was yet another four hour, 200-mile adventure with the smoothest machine I've ever jumped on.

I think the length of everyone else's responses should show how happy we are as owners!

2016 F3 Limited - Triple Black Atlanta

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for your post

I want to thank all fellow Spider riders that replied to my post. Your comments were very helpful to me and I'm sure to others. Neil

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I will turn 100,000 mikes tomorrow or Monday on my 2014 RTS-SM6 with no issues.

Spyder Garage

Had my spyder now for 5-years and 34,200 miles. Only went back into shop for first oil change and check over @ 600 miles. Do all my own oil changes and servicing plus tire changing and change brake shoes. Will be changing battery today just because it is 5 years old but had no problems.
    All information as to "How to" is from Spyder Lovers forum,great info and a great machine.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Love my Spyder

I've had a couple of problems here and there, learning where to go for maintenance helped. I complained on the forum about my windshield lifter breaking; some one on the forum told me where to get a better part so that won't happen again.

I've ridden to South Dakota & to Nova Scotia (from Michigan). Still loving my Spyder.

My Honda had few problems, and it was easier to work on. I'd say it was even between the Spyder and the Honda. The difference was I understood the Honda a little more. The Spyder has more storage, more power and I can take a quick nap on it while parked.

~Sandee~

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Rupp View Post
    As I read through it I read horror stories about these Spiders breaking down. This is frighting to me, maybe because I'm coming from Honda's that didn't seem to have problems.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779