Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I hope I'm wrong for your sake too.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    Jees, I sure hope you're wrong.....I passed a lot of coffee shops during my first 2,000 miles. Just an observance; You must need a lot of gear to go to the coffee shop. That must be what the trailer is for...Carrying all the "fix it" parts you need.

(lol) Just messing with you man. No malice intended.....Ride on!

Bill
    No sweat Bill, I like your style!

I'm always game for some good humor. Fact is, I like the Spyder very much, but its reliability has been an issue for a while now.

Under 20,000 miles on the clock

Ball joints - replaced

Front wheel bearings - replaced

Radiator fitting broke during service (known problem) - replaced Radiator

Water pump leaking - replaced

Fuel lines at the fuel pump all leaking at fittings(major leaking) - replaced

Over 25,000 miles on the clock

P0174/0171 lean fuel codes(repeated problem - codes cleared on BUDS - and then return - sometimes in a few hundred miles and once after a thousand miles)

Replaced wiring harness(did not fix), new fuel pump/sending unit being replaced(is this the fix? - won’t know until i’ve gone around the block a few times - not about to leave on an extended trip - not knowing whether it will code out again). Over a $1000.00 dollars into chasing a fix for this problem. Ridiculous for sure.

Bent rear wheel drive pulley. (no frigging idea how it could have happened - unless something happened when the dealer last replaced the tire). One thing I know for certain. I damn sure didn’t bend it.

Based on the above info. Perhaps I should get a license to pull TWO trailers. Ya think?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

20,000 miles on my 2015RT. Haven't had an issue, in shop for basic service. Been throughout Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, and Florida without an issue. Went from Goldwing to Spyder, and have no regrets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It probably could have happened to any of us...
    But if you believe what you read in other forums about other vehicles (or anything else!); it happens to them as well.
    Not necessarily. The Yamaha FJ-09 forum is actually kind of boring as there is nothing to complain about. There is the usual banter about what is the best windshield or comfort seat or about what tire is recommended, but that is about all. I can handle boring because it means reliable. When I take the FJ-09 out for a ride I never, ever worry about a breakdown - never. And before someone jumps in with complaints about me posting about another brand I have owned 2 Spyders and liked both of them. However I could never relax on either due to concerns about the "orange screen of death" which happened to me twice. I still lurk here to see what is happening in the world of Spyders. I'm hoping to one day see that Can Am has rectified the breakdown problems. As of now it seems they have not, but maybe next year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Not necessarily. The Yamaha FJ-09 forum is actually kind of boring as there is nothing to complain about. There is the usual banter about what is the best windshield or comfort seat or about what tire is recommended, but that is about all. I can handle boring because it means reliable. When I take the FJ-09 out for a ride I never, ever worry about a breakdown - never. And before someone jumps in with complaints about me posting about another brand I have owned 2 Spyders and liked both of them. However I could never relax on either due to concerns about the "orange screen of death" which happened to me twice. I still lurk here to see what is happening in the world of Spyders. I'm hoping to one day see that Can Am has rectified the breakdown problems. As of now it seems they have not, but maybe next year.
    The FJ is a very nice motorcycle if it suits your style.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm ready to bet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    So you're dealer works on other bikes?
    That's not a good sign in my book.. it means they'll put guys on it that would rather work on whatever other brands they sell. When you go to a dedicated Spyder dealer the techs work on them all day and will know them better. You might feel they're nice and a great dealer.. but in the end they haven't fixed your problems.

Just my .02.
    ... that they are not even a certified service center..... most of the time, that type of shop are the ones creating problems by not knowing what they do. For example, that post a few days ago about a "dealer" that wanted to change everything because the belt was not staying in its position when backing.....!!!!!! .....you know what, I can understand BRP to refuse to cover such a claim for warranty coverage... !!!!!

"Jacks of all trades" are rarely good at anything beyond basic repairs..... JMHO

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default What a dealer says......

Quote Originally Posted by acpd22 View Post
    My dealer has about 6 mechanics, one I have worked with in the past. He told me that BRP is tight on the purse strings when it comes to paying for warranty work and the time book the mechanics go by is ridiculous. But far be it for BRP to be the only culprit. He told me that Polaris was worse. I just hope I get as many miles as I have on my other bikes as I do my Spyder.
    .... is rarely the exact truth..... especially when it comes to a warranty claim..... anybody have seen different?????

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

1 set of Hankook V4

Spyder Garage

Default Ever suspected.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    No sweat Bill, I like your style!

I'm always game for some good humor. Fact is, I like the Spyder very much, but its reliability has been an issue for a while now.

Under 20,000 miles on the clock

Ball joints - replaced

Front wheel bearings - replaced

Radiator fitting broke during service (known problem) - replaced Radiator

Water pump leaking - replaced

Fuel lines at the fuel pump all leaking at fittings(major leaking) - replaced

Over 25,000 miles on the clock

P0174/0171 lean fuel codes(repeated problem - codes cleared on BUDS - and then return - sometimes in a few hundred miles and once after a thousand miles)

Replaced wiring harness(did not fix), new fuel pump/sending unit being replaced(is this the fix? - won’t know until i’ve gone around the block a few times - not about to leave on an extended trip - not knowing whether it will code out again). Over a $1000.00 dollars into chasing a fix for this problem. Ridiculous for sure.

Bent rear wheel drive pulley. (no frigging idea how it could have happened - unless something happened when the dealer last replaced the tire). One thing I know for certain. I damn sure didn’t bend it.

Based on the above info. Perhaps I should get a license to pull TWO trailers. Ya think?

.... your dealer is not "the best in the west" ? Like breaking things while trying to fix something else, or trying to get rid of a problem by erasing error code.....like not knowing how to dismantle rear axle....etc, etc,etc...... something to consider.....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

1 set of Hankook V4

Spyder Garage

Default No disagreement from me

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    .... your dealer is not "the best in the west" ? Like breaking things while trying to fix something else, or trying to get rid of a problem by erasing error code.....like not knowing how to dismantle rear axle....etc, etc,etc...... something to consider.....
    My honest opinion. None of them are(BEST IN THE WEST). But, they're the only game in town(100 miles away).

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Believe it or not: you can actually learn a lot about the shop, by looking around in the Service Area a little bit...
    If the Technicians have graduated from a BRP course: there'll be some paperwork hanging on the walls, for everyone to see...
    If not: ask the folks at the Service Desk about the amount of training that the Techs have: They'll know the answers.

Salesman: they don't know squat about service...

Factory trained is what to look for. A lot of these "certificates" are online courses and not the same. I have

a fantastic mechanic/technician and a lousy dealer. He takes good care of me and is the only person that I

will let touch my Spyder. Find out who has been "factory" trained and stick with him. Be specific about who

is to work on your Spyder. I always wait for my service to make sure he is doing the work and talk to him

for a few minutes after the work is performed.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default May I suggest...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    My honest opinion. None of them are(BEST IN THE WEST). But, they're the only game in town(100 miles away).
    ... you contact BRP care, and express your concern ? I am convinced they will act and see that, if they are authorised dealer, they get their act together, and get on par with the BRP minimum requirement. I once heard that they must have at least one "factory trained" mechanic to keep their BRP banner....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

1 set of Hankook V4

Spyder Garage

Everyone makes a lemon here and there. Honda, BMW and even Harley. Not an excuse, just reality. Not even saying your Spyder is a lemon. A bad dealership can turn an otherwise minor issue into a lemon scenario sometimes. A minor problem in the hands of the wrong tech just gets worse. It's what happens when you have a problem that makes all the difference. The dealership is the main cog in this wheel. Admittedly, Harley has a better dealership network than Can-Am. But there are a great number of very good Can-Am dealerships out there.

I've had customers tell me that their dealer said BRP would not cover the work, parts back-ordered, etc., etc. Only to find out that the dealer never contacted BRP about the problem. Not to say that parts can't be back-ordered or that BRP will not cover the work. But again, we go back to the main cog, the dealership.

Mechanical issues leave a bad taste in your mouth that are hard to wash out. I know how you feel. The dealer is telling you one thing, your buddies are telling you something else, and we here at Spyderlovers are definitely full of opinions. But all you know is your Spyder isn't right and it does not seem to be getting right. Been there myself. It's no fun.

I have an original Premier 08 GS that I've ridden from East Tennessee to California 3 times. Canada twice. Florida at least 3 times, Kansas several times and many shorter trips. I did have the dreaded DPS failure. But that was corrected by the dealership pretty quickly. My Spyder has been as bullet proof as any other bike I've ever owned. And there are many more duplication's of my story than yours. You just don't hear them.

I am not trying to Poo-Poo your experience. I know it is real. Just trying to put it in perspective and give you some hope of a light at the end of the tunnel.

There are hundreds of satisfied Spyder customers for every dissatisfied one. But you're not going to get much confirmation of that here. This forum is the 'Doctors Office' for Spyders. For the most part, you're going to hear sick Spyder stories. A doctor isn't surprised that it's this way. It's the same with every forum.

There is no finer ride than a Can-Am Spyder that is right. But there may not be a more aggravating machine than a Can-Am Spyder when it isn't.

My worthless advise... Take your Spyder to another dealership (a verified good one if that is possible). Work with them and see if you can get your ride straightened out before you throw in the towel. Not only do I predict that you'll keep it and love it. But you're not selling grief to the next guy!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-16-2017 at 05:22 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE HONEST GOD TRUTH ABOUT SPYDERS

" Well said Ron , Well said ................ Mike

Spyder Garage

BajaRon ... ... ALL - good points.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't care what brand you buy a certain percentage will have more than their share of problems. I once read that cars/bikes statistically will experience a 3% break down issues. Always hope I'm not in the 3% group. When one looses confidence in his ride it might be the time to switch and move on. Just do what makes you happy, after all it's your money and experience. Good luck and happy riding. Now that's my 2 cents sooooo let's put a Rider on the Spyder.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default I'm Happy Now.

2100 miles so far. blackvrod.jpg

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ooppsss!!! I hope someone told you the engine has to come out of this to adjust the valves. I don't remember how many mile though. Enjoy the new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by sg2848775 View Post
    Sorry, just a bad rumor that got started when they first released.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 05-16-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That is really nice. Is that the V-Rod?Which model? You should get a lot of miles out of that.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default I'm Happy Now.

2017 V Rod Muscle. Lots Of Fun. Very Fast. Hope To Put Lots Of Miles On It As Summer Approaches.
    blackvrod.jpg
    BlackVrod2.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to lots of Happy miles & smiles for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Question

2017 V Rod Muscle. Lots Of Fun. Very Fast. Hope To Put Lots Of Miles On It As Summer Approaches.
    blackvrod.jpg
    BlackVrod2.jpg
    I noticed that you wrapped the pipes, does it run a little hot?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    Ooppsss!!! I hope someone told you the engine has to come out of this to adjust the valves. I don't remember how many mile though. Enjoy the new ride.
    (OP Update)
    Sorry, just a bad rumor started when they first released.

Post I found which clarifies this rumor.

'The "Remove Engine Rumor" is related to the valve adjustment. You cannot remove the rear valve cover with the engine bolted in. But, all that is done to permit the rear valve cover to be removed is to support the engine with a small flat scissors jack then remove the bolt on the front engine mount. Once the bolt is removed lower the engine 13mm ( 1/2 inch ) and the valve cover can be removed.' Other items like exhaust & hoses may or may not need to be removed to accommodate this engine rotation.'

Maybe we need a Snops for motorcycles!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-16-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Everyone makes a lemon here and there. Honda, BMW and even Harley. Not an excuse, just reality. Not even saying your Spyder is a lemon. A bad dealership can turn an otherwise minor issue into a lemon scenario sometimes. A minor problem in the hands of the wrong tech just gets worse. It's what happens when you have a problem that makes all the difference. The dealership is the main cog in this wheel. Admittedly, Harley has a better dealership network than Can-Am. But there are a great number of very good Can-Am dealerships out there.

I've had customers tell me that their dealer said BRP would not cover the work, parts back-ordered, etc., etc. Only to find out that the dealer never contacted BRP about the problem. Not to say that parts can't be back-ordered or that BRP will not cover the work. But again, we go back to the main cog, the dealership.

Mechanical issues leave a bad taste in your mouth that are hard to wash out. I know how you feel. The dealer is telling you one thing, your buddies are telling you something else, and we here at Spyderlovers are definitely full of opinions. But all you know is your Spyder isn't right and it does not seem to be getting right. Been there myself. It's no fun.

I have an original Premier 08 GS that I've ridden from East Tennessee to California 3 times. Canada twice. Florida at least 3 times, Kansas several times and many shorter trips. I did have the dreaded DPS failure. But that was corrected by the dealership pretty quickly. My Spyder has been as bullet proof as any other bike I've ever owned. And there are many more duplication's of my story than yours. You just don't hear them.

I am not trying to Poo-Poo your experience. I know it is real. Just trying to put it in perspective and give you some hope of a light at the end of the tunnel.

There are hundreds of satisfied Spyder customers for every dissatisfied one. But you're not going to get much confirmation of that here. This forum is the 'Doctors Office' for Spyders. For the most part, you're going to hear sick Spyder stories. A doctor isn't surprised that it's this way. It's the same with every forum.

There is no finer ride than a Can-Am Spyder that is right. But there may not be a more aggravating machine than a Can-Am Spyder when it isn't.

My worthless advise... Take your Spyder to another dealership (a verified good one if that is possible). Work with them and see if you can get your ride straightened out before you throw in the towel. Not only do I predict that you'll keep it and love it. But you're not selling grief to the next guy!

Good Luck!
    Well said and of course
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default 2017 V ROD MUSCLE

Yikes! I think my calves and ankles would get fried so close to that engine!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Long post but wanted to see where it went..........

Of all the rice burners, American and European made bikes I've owned, not one of them can match the shop time my spyder has racked up. I belong to a small group of fair weather riders who meet every couple of months and ride about as often. A couple of us do ride much more often than just occasionally riding. There were two trikes in the group when I joined. I've sinse bought a spyder and three others have now also purchased trikes. Total of six trikes in the group, All three new trikes were HD's, simply because of the reliability factor either known, or rumored about spyders. My spyder has yet, never left me stranded and has been running right along with the HD's, and has never dropped out. But, that doesn't alter the fact that somebody knows somebody who's spyder has left them stranded for whatever reason. $$$ was never an option for these fellows who bought their trikes, their choices were all based on reputation. Not saying HD's don't have issues and don't break down, because they do. Maybe it comes down to what a poster here said; HD has a better dealer network than BRP. BTW, I love my dam spyer and wouldn't part with it for the world.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    These are the posts that scare me from getting Spyder, been looking since Dec and finally finally enrolled in a motorcycle class so that I can actually test drive one!
    I usually join the forums before I purchase a new vehicle to see what's being said about the vehicle. I understand how the comments may cause some concern, but I've never experienced any of the problems that were mentioned through the years with quite a variety of vehicles. I expect the same to be true with my new 2016 F3T. Don't worry, go for it!

I'm taking my class for 3-wheelers next month in Knoxville, TN.