Spyder Garage

Default Increasing Height of RT Front End

I'd like to get about another 1" of road clearance on the front end of my 2014 RT Ltd.
    I've got more than my money's worth out of my SpyderPops Bumpskid. I've only have 2 1/2 to 3" clearance up front and just want to raise it a bit.
    Would switching out the stock shocks to a Fox or Elka shock increase the height?
    Any other options that might improve height?
    All opinions welcome including the Fox vs Elka debate!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

You could take of the bumpskid that would increase clearance. But I have several friends that use the Elka Shocks and that has given that increase of about an inch.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post

I have them on my 2014 RT....I had them adjusted 3 turns for about an inch more clearance. However, I backed them down to 2 full turns to improve ride quality and still lift up the front end (not quite 1")....

You can adjust them to your needs...the higher you go, the stiffer your front suspension. You will need to rent (or buy) the spring compressor tool to make your install easier.

Certainly a less costly way to go than replacing your shocks with Fox, Elkas, etc. Good luck!

Here's my post from 2015:

Just installed - front shock adjusters
    The install was very easy and Ron's directions were "great" as normal. I also got a few hints from SpyderCruiser - very helpful - thanks!

I have not rode the bike with them installed other than to set them in and have an initial setting. Now the fun begins to tune them in....

I think they are very well made and install was pretty easy. Biggest issue is the top shock bolts...tough area to reassemble. I did the right side really quickly, but the left side was an issue for me. So......I used Ron's directions about the nut to the backside and it worked well...saved me a lot of work!

I have a pic of the tools used - 15mm....I took SpyderCruiser's advice on the breaker bar with socket - worked great! I used a ratchet box end wrench as well. If you have the tools, makes the job go so much easier!!

BTW - Ron's coil spring compressors are well worth it - easy to use - worked well! HINT: I used vice grips to help stabilize the spring compressor when tightening - no problem - worked great and is a good way to keep your hands away from the coil!!

We have 20,000+ miles on our 2014 RT Limited - awesome bike - now onto the next 20,000!

Here's a few pics:

Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 03-24-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RTL and Len at Pitbull installed a set of Elka shocks and were also checked by the Elka rep. I have 6" of clearance at the lowest point at the front end. I like the clearance and can also role a 3 ton floor jack under the front end. I do not have a bumpskid.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I alao did BajaRon adjusters and got an increase in height.
    I have the video of some of the work
    https://youtu.be/d2sOACUyYjo

CapeSpyder
    Sent From my Note 5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please throw another vote on the pile for BajaRon's shock adjusters...They ROCK!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Do be aware that lifting your Spyder suspension much at all WILL adversely effect the camber on your front wheels due to the fixed arc of travel inherent in the front end suspension design and impact on your toe in/out as the suspension articulates! Adjusting the shocks &/or springs might raise the static ride height a little (skewing your alignment as it does) but there is still a limit to how hard you can tighten them up & yet still have operating suspension! So the only real way to increase ground clearance without stripping the tupperware off &/or adversely impacting the front end alignment or suspension operation is to fit taller tires &/or rims so that their rolling radius is greater when the arms are holding the wheels at the correct camber settings, thereby lifting everything that much higher off the ground!!

That is one reason I'm very intrigued about R FUN's 6" of front end clearance on his 2012 RT when it seems everyone else's has no more than about 3-4" max, including my 2013?! Surely there's not that much difference between the various year/models?

I've already got taller tires & still only manage 100mm/4" clearance while it's completely unladen, & I'd dearly love another inch or two of clearance while ryding without replacing the shocks & springs with solid steel bars; but I can't see how 6" of clearance is even possible with bigger tires & rims front & rear that will still fit under the std guards & fenders, at least not without some significant re-arrangement/alignment of the front end geometry &/or mods to the A-arms & swing arm - so I'd really like to know how it was achieved? Any chance you've got any pics showing the A-arms & clearance R FUN? Please??

Without mods or significant adjustments to my2013 RT, there's NO WAY that it'll ever achieve anything much more than its current 4" max of clearance without skewing the suspension alignment massively, and 6" of clearance would be leaning the tires out at the top so far it would scrub the outside of the tires out extremely rapidly as well as making it virtually unrideable?!? That degree of lift would also push the toe adjust to the extreme limits of its adjustment, if not beyond; and there'd also be no droop left on the front suspension travel either; the arms would be pushed fairly hard against their lower travel limits & the consequent ride would be bloody awful as well as unsafe & dangerous for that & so many other reasons?!? How on earth some can manage 6" while the rest of us are stuck with 3-4" of clearance is beyond me?!?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    I'd like to get about another 1" of road clearance on the front end of my 2014 RT Ltd.
    I've got more than my money's worth out of my SpyderPops Bumpskid. I've only have 2 1/2 to 3" clearance up front and just want to raise it a bit.
    Would switching out the stock shocks to a Fox or Elka shock increase the height?
    Any other options that might improve height?
    All opinions welcome including the Fox vs Elka debate!
    The question to consider is where does the suspension settle / ride with a rider aboard in the seat?

Somewhere I have a chart that was published that shows desired ride height vs rider weights.

Suspension, beyond the front arm geometry can get complicated.

Springs have a certain rate, typically lbs/in or kg/cm. A heavier rider or more performance based rider may require a a firmer spring. The casual rider or someone on more bumpy roads may prefer the softer spring.

Here is the kicker in all of it. Ride height is important, you wish to increase yours. When ride height is increased and the same spring is utilized, the spring rate does not change, however the spring force is increased along the suspension movement.

The downside of this increased preload to raise the vehicle is the initial bump compliance is not as supple.

With a firmer spring, less preload is required. Yes the rate is firmer, and the same net spring force is required to support the vehicle. The difference is the firmer spring running less preload most times can provide a better ride quality since the end force is often lower. More importantly, the firmer spring, running less preload reduces the harsh tendency of making the shock top out.

Raising the front will not change the castor angles. The camber angles will change, whether they will go more positive as Peter mentioned or my thought was more negative, but I did not go look at the arms initial position, can be a benefit or detriment. If your oem suspension has settled, adding some preload may improve handling and offer some ground clearance. If the supension is riding low on account of the rider and payload, then firmer springs may be needed.

So, without debating Fox vs Elka, since I would prefer Ohlins anyway, I think you should bring in all parameters, ride height increase, suspension wear, rider size, rider performance desires, how much junk in the frunk etc, then decide if you need spring rubbers, BajaRon adjustable preload collars, new aftermarket front shocks or maybe get a warranty replacement of the oem fronts if possible.

Whatever you decide, it will need an alignment if you raise the front. These vehicles have very simple designed front suspension and steering geometry. Basically a go kart with a little bit of suspension. Because of the direct linkage without idler arms or rack and pinion ends placed further outboard, as the suspension moves, both up and down, the front wheels will toe in or out constantly changing. Technically, the term is excessive bump steer.

All the best with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I put on the

I put the spring adjusters on my 2015 RT, works well for me.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mr. Gasket #1287 or #1901 (can't remember which one) Donut Style Coil Spring Spacer is what I used to raise my spyder 1" and stiffen the front suspension. The cost was about $4 each and a little cutting and fitting along with some Dawn dishwater soap and "walla," they slipped right in. Jack up the front end to release some of the spring pressure and it makes the install much quicker and easier. Got the idea from the internet where a person who installed a snowplow on his quad had the weight of the plow compressed his front shocks just enough to make it hit the ground. The Polaris dealer where he bought the quad and the snowplow GAVE him the rubber donuts and it solve his problem.