Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Why you need KOTT grills

Last fall going from Wing Ding in Montana to visit my son in Eastern Iowa I drove through zillions of grasshoppers in Iowa. When I went to the car wash in Muscatine the factory grills were packed solid with grasshopper remains. I don't know why the engine didn't overheat, but it didn't! Didn't think to take a pic of them. As you can see in the pics below a lot of remains made it through the grills and onto the radiators. Power washing and compressed air from the backside did little to clean them out. The only way to get the radiators clean was take the frunk off so I could get on them directly.

Right radiator before.jpg Left radiator before.jpg

After a good dose of Pledge, Simple Green, and hot water followed by brushing with an old toothbrush and vacuuming, this was the result.

Right radiator after.jpg Left radiator after.jpg Vacuuming.jpg

They aren't perfectly clean, but sure a whole lot better than before. A flashlight shines through nice and bright. I used a small nozzle on the shop vac to create as high an air velocity as possible. It was a challenge to brush the remains out without pushing them into the fins. And you have to be careful not to bend the fins over. It's easy to do!

I bought SyderPop's KOTT grills at Red Rocks last fall and am now getting ready to install them. I sure hope they keep this from happening again!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Last fall going from Wing Ding in Montana to visit my son in Eastern Iowa I drove through zillions of grasshoppers in Iowa. When I went to the car wash in Muscatine the factory grills were packed solid with grasshopper remains. I don't know why the engine didn't overheat, but it didn't! Didn't think to take a pic of them. As you can see in the pics below a lot of remains made it through the grills and onto the radiators. Power washing and compressed air from the backside did little to clean them out. The only way to get the radiators clean was take the frunk off so I could get on them directly.

Right radiator before.jpg Left radiator before.jpg

After a good dose of Pledge, Simple Green, and hot water followed by brushing with an old toothbrush and vacuuming, this was the result.

Right radiator after.jpg Left radiator after.jpg Vacuuming.jpg

They aren't perfectly clean, but sure a whole lot better than before. A flashlight shines through nice and bright. I used a small nozzle on the shop vac to create as high an air velocity as possible. It was a challenge to brush the remains out without pushing them into the fins. And you have to be careful not to bend the fins over. It's easy to do!

I bought SyderPop's KOTT grills at Red Rocks last fall and am now getting ready to install them. I sure hope they keep this from happening again!
    x 2. My radiators looked like yours. The KOTT grills do the job nicely. Thank you SpyderPop.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Prior to KOTT guards, we had similar concerns and bugs in the radiators. I did remove the frunk a couple of times to clean the radiators.

I read on here about using Hydrogen Peroxide to clean away dead bugs in the radiators.

Now, with the radiators cold, as I prep the bucket and soap, the radiators are soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide I spray on them. So figuire they get a few minutes to soak and dislodge abit. Then prior to washing the rest of the machine, I will rinse the radiator with water.

The Hydrogen Peroxide does nothing to prevent the bugs, or bug build up, simply helped in the aftermath.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

For the smaller bugs screen door screen behind the grills work well.

Used this on my 1984 Goldwing for years and always had clean radiators.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Prior to KOTT guards, we had similar concerns and bugs in the radiators. I did remove the frunk a couple of times to clean the radiators.

I read on here about using Hydrogen Peroxide to clean away dead bugs in the radiators.

Now, with the radiators cold, as I prep the bucket and soap, the radiators are soaking in Hydrogen Peroxide I spray on them. So figuire they get a few minutes to soak and dislodge abit. Then prior to washing the rest of the machine, I will rinse the radiator with water.

The Hydrogen Peroxide does nothing to prevent the bugs, or bug build up, simply helped in the aftermath.
    I always carry a small spray bottle of peroxide with me. Nothing beats it for removing dead bugs from windshields and body work. Spray it on, wait a couple minutes and hose it off. Now here is another reason to carry it.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

This is a good reason to check there often. I have seen folks with wrappers, paper, weeds etc. It's like a wide mouth bass trolling for plankton.... with both radiators up there..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Grill Guards

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    This is a good reason to check there often. I have seen folks with wrappers, paper, weeds etc. It's like a wide mouth bass trolling for plankton.... with both radiators up there..
    Will the KOTT grill guard fit a 2012 RT

Jim

Spyder Garage

I believe they have them for your year and model. Check spyderpops on the home page...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The KOTT Grilles were my first farkle. In almost 22K miles including two trips to Spyderfest there's one small bug that's made it to the left radiator.

According to Spyderpops' catalog there are no grilles for the 2012 RT.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default BUGS

1059.jpg
    AGREE....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Dan!
    What did you do: run though a flock of sparrows???

Spyder Garage

Default NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hey Dan!
    What did you do: run though a flock of sparrows???
    Not exactly Bob.....
    it's a combination of bugs from: Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Californicate, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky & Tennessee to back home in South Carolina........ but it was 6500 miles of SMILES....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could do a search for Bug & tar removers on e bay etc
    There appears to be many who claim to work on all types of vehicles and surfaces
    Although fitting an extra grill will limit those kamikaze bugs trying to ruin your pride and joy
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

I bought the grills from Pierre ( SpyderTV) here is are some pictures: Spyder Grills RT 003.jpg I bought these last year @ Spyderquest( Lake George, New York) . Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Kansas bugs

Here is what my Kott grills looked like after riding thru Kansas last june.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    That's a light spattering compared to what I had after crossing Iowa!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default What is the difference

So what is the difference between the grills from Pierre ( SpyderTV) and the KOTT grills? Is one easier to clean than the other, easier to install, durability, and costs?

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    Pit appears to me that scraping them off mixing in a little molten chocolate that you should have plenty of snacks to share at Spyderfest. You did savethem, right?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    So what is the difference between the grills from Pierre ( SpyderTV) and the KOTT grills? Is one easier to clean than the other, easier to install, durability, and costs?
    In my opinion, it is mostly the appearance that is different. I can't remember about cost but that should be easy to determine by going to Can Am Spyder Accessories which is Pierre and Spyderpops whose site you can find here as a sponsor. As far as I know, they are mounted the same way and therefore equally easy to install or remove. I have Pierre's and they are made of thin stainless steel. I like their appearance better but that is a personal choice. I can't really speak to durability but I assume that if either type takes a large chunk of something like a rock thrown up they will show being hit. Bugs and trash is not a problem. I took mine off once to clean with no issues.
    In my opinion, either one will let some bug bits through the holes when they hit the grills but will keep a lot of crap out.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Not exactly Bob.....
    it's a combination of bugs from: Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Californicate, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky & Tennessee to back home in South Carolina........ but it was 6500 miles of SMILES....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

You should be glad that you didn't go through Arkansas. We have some really big bugs, they are called the Arkansas Swamp bugs. Funny thing they only dive bomb motorcycles.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    You should be glad that you didn't go through Arkansas. We have some really big bugs, they are called the Arkansas Swamp bugs. Funny thing they only dive bomb motorcycles.
    Kind of like this; right?

Spyder Garage

When I was living in Orlando in the '70s, we had love bug season twice a year. A common accessory on most cars was a rectangular bug screen on elastic cords, that went across the front of the cars. Quite effective at stopping the bulk of bug splatter. Some bug juice still made it through to the bodywork, but it made cleanup much easier.

Something similar might be the ticket for the few times you go cross-country. I can see a little screen that covers the radiator intakes, that hooks around to catch the edges of the bodywork where the front suspension exits the Tupperware. Just the thing for us cheap Charlies who don't want to fork over the cash for a KOTT kit, or don't otherwise travel as extensively as to warrant them.