Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Reconnect air duct 2014 RT

I had to take the frunk off of my 2014 RTS in order to clean grasshopper remains from off the radiator. Here is one of the steps in taking it off.

Frunk remove step.JPG

Real great instructions, aren't they! It was a pain to get it loose but I managed! The installation instructions are to reverse the removal steps. Yeah, right!

So tell me, how the H*** do you get the air duct reconnected to the air box? I just about tore up my hands trying to get it back on! What do we need? Some mice to crawl around in there to slip the duct back on?

Anyone who has agonized through this process, how did you do it?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Why do anything that's gonna perpetuate the problem??

Since it's at least partly off already, just get ALL of it off & buy/fit one of JT's replacement air filters & simply leave all that bloody painful & overly cumbersome air box & ducting off forever!! You'll save yourself the hassle of going thru all of this ever again

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default putting trunk on a 1330

I have a cart that the trunk sets on ...Spray boot with silicone...I use a cotter pin puller to stretch the boot around the pipe...Sometimes it requires some 4 letter words...Once you do it several times it get a little easier...

PS You may be able to use a creeper and some blocking in place of a cart...

I sure some others will chime in with their method...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Since it's at least partly off already, just get ALL of it off & buy/fit one of JT's replacement air filters & simply leave all that bloody painful & overly cumbersome air box & ducting off forever!! You'll save yourself the hassle of going thru all of this ever again
    Does not fit the 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have a cart that the trunk sets on ...Spray boot with silicone...I use a cotter pin puller to stretch the boot around the pipe...Sometimes it requires some 4 letter words...Once you do it several times it get a little easier...

PS You may be able to use a creeper and some blocking in place of a cart...

I sure some others will chime in with their method...

larryd
    Cotter Key tooL, is the trick. Just be careful not to puncture the rubber boot.
    Last edited by PMK; 07-27-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Just went through the same issue on my 2015, had removed the frunk to plasti-dip to a new color. Had the wife and son helping hold it in place as close to the bike as possible. Meanwhile I had to reach from the bottom side and do the best I could to wedge my hand behind and push in while wiggling at the same time. Was a complete pain in the arse. Persistence was the key. My dad always said work is a dirty 4 letter word.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Black and Silver

Spyder Garage

I didn't think about the silicone. That has got to help, for sure. The frunk is hanging on the bike with two of the top four screws. I loosened the plastic around the fog light and the top of the grill below so I have a little bit, but not much, wiggle room for my hands.

Sure wish I would have thought to have ordered Lamont's LED fog light bulbs. Would have been an ideal time to change them out! Also found a headlight/fog light vent tube when I pulled the frunk off. Not missing off the fog light so either it fell off a headlight, or someone at the factory lost one putting the byke together.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I had to take the frunk off of my 2014 RTS in order to clean grasshopper remains from off the radiator. Here is one of the steps in taking it off.

Frunk remove step.JPG

Real great instructions, aren't they! It was a pain to get it loose but I managed! The installation instructions are to reverse the removal steps. Yeah, right!

So tell me, how the H*** do you get the air duct reconnected to the air box? I just about tore up my hands trying to get it back on! What do we need? Some mice to crawl around in there to slip the duct back on?

Anyone who has agonized through this process, how did you do it?
    The Answer is " DON'T " ..... It's not needed, in fact remove the rubber elbow entirely...... The Spyder will breath better ......... if your going to be at Spyderfest we should get together and you can see what I've done ......... I can actually re-move or re-attach my FRUNK in 10 minutes or less ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The Answer is " DON'T " ..... It's not needed, in fact remove the rubber elbow entirely...... The Spyder will breath better ......... if your going to be at Spyderfest we should get together and you can see what I've done ......... I can actually re-move or re-attach my FRUNK in 10 minutes or less ........... Mike
    I was thinking that you or someone had mentioned this some time back. That is an option I will seriously consider.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default ELBOW REMOVAL

I was thinking that you or someone had mentioned this some time back. That is an option I will seriously consider.
    Well in truth - the entire plastic Air Intake is long gone ....... When I changed the angle of my front shocks ( increased them ) the upper part came in contact with the Intake ..... so it was either cut a piece out or remove it .... I removed it - - then added a 3 inch pipe out the side , connected to the Air Box with a SLIP connection and Electric Fan ( forced air ) ......yada yada ................ We should connect

Spyder Garage

Silicone spray did the trick! Thanks LarryD.

Mike, I decided to give the silicone a try. Getting the boot onto the air box actually ended up being easier than getting it off the air duct would have been, I think. I tried earlier getting it off the duct and decided that was a no go since the clamp wasn't reusable.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default ELBOW REMOVAL

Silicone spray did the trick! Thanks LarryD.

Mike, I decided to give the silicone a try. Getting the boot onto the air box actually ended up being easier than getting it off the air duct would have been, I think. I tried earlier getting it off the duct and decided that was a no go since the clamp wasn't reusable.
    .... glad it worked out ...... but the next time just grab that sucker with a vise grip and pull it will come off ........ imho, after looking at the plastic Air Intake ( off the spyder ) it is soooooooooo restrictive I find it hard to believe the engine isn't STARVED for AIR.

Spyder Garage

Default air hose

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

What is JT,s replacement

Spyder Garage

Default JT's replacement

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    What is JT,s replacement
    Your question was answered by " PMK " a few posts back ............ It really pays to read ALL the posts on a THREAD , it's amazing what will be learned....... You even get answers to questions you hadn't even considered ....YET ........Mike

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    What is JT,s replacement
    <br>
    <br><br>http://spyderstore.com/index.php?rou...amp;path=59_68
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

This topic is kinda old. FWIW, the JT airbox that so many folks keep mentioning does not fit nor work on the 2014 RT that is in the title of this topic.
    the JT airbox only works on the V twin Spyders and adding links or suggestion to install one simply confuses a lot of people and essentially is sharing inaccurate information.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Your question was answered by " PMK " a few posts back ............ It really pays to read ALL the posts on a THREAD , it's amazing what will be learned....... You even get answers to questions you hadn't even considered ....YET ........Mike
    Thanks actually I did I guess it flew over the cuckoos nest lol