Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What 14" tires are you running on the front?

I see a lot of discussion on the 15" tires, but not much on the 14" tries. I have a 2012 RSS and am getting a laser alignment done next Tuesday. I might be purchasing a new set of 14" front tires (165/65/14). What are most of you using for that? I have found a nice looking Arachnid for $73.49 on Amazon, but that appears to be all that I am able to come across. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Actually there are lots of car tires in that size. Even with a cheap one you will notice the stiffer side walls will give you better cornering then your oems or the Arachnids. I don't remember the ones I bought,they were not a famous brand but they have 17000 miles on them with no sign of wear,they handle much better the the stock Kendas and I think I paid $35.00 each for them. Since it was the fronts I let my local tire shop pull the wheels,mount and balance the tires. Including the tires and mounting and balance and disposal fee I was out of there under a $100.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use Bridgestone Potenza P165/65 R14 78S on my 2012 RT.

JT

Spyder Garage

Bridgestone Potenza.

Spyder Garage

Default New tires-14 inch

I purchased 2 General Altimax 175/65r14 from Discount Tires and had them mounted and balanced by them.
    I then went to a local Can Am shop for the alignment. The difference driving is amazing.

Spyder Garage

You need to be a little careful using car tires on the front because the Spyder puts a lot less weight on those than a car would, particularly as you've got an RS.

If you go for too high weight rating then the front could feel 'jittery'. The weight rating of the EOM Kenda tires is very very low, well below any standard car tire, which is why the side walls are so soft. My tire guy recommended going for one of the cheaper makes of tires just to keep a bit of flex in the sidewall. The fronts also have to be run at a lower pressure than you would normally on a car and having hard side walls would give you uneven wear on the edges.

I've ended up with Kingstars which are just rebadged Hankooks. Run them at 18psi. Grip is better than the Kendas which was my main reason for changing, though wear is better as well.

Spyder Garage

Went with Hankooks on 2 RT Ltds. No problems works great and would use them again.
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post
    Purchased these https://www.walmart.com/ip/175-65R14...Tires/52943309 before I read your post but your "tire guy" recommending "cheaper" car tires with flex sounds reasonable to me. No doubt made in the orient, just like most of the expensive brands, but I like the tread pattern and price.
    I really like that profile and thread pattern. I know the stock is a 165, Does the 175 work with no problem?
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    Also, the bike drives and handles nicely, but there is a little wear in the interior of the right front. I called a dealer about the laser alignment and they said they could do it, but the wear on the interior will still probably happen and that it is common. I told him that I had a 2014 RT that never had an alignment done and it never wore the stock tires like that, and I got approx. 17k on them. They still have thread left, but I switched rims so I bought new tires. What do you think?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I really like that profile and thread pattern. I know the stock is a 165, Does the 175 work with no problem?
    Also, the bike drives and handles nicely, but there is a little wear in the interior of the right front. I called a dealer about the laser alignment and they said they could do it, but the wear on the interior will still probably happen and that it is common. I told him that I had a 2014 RT that never had an alignment done and it never wore the stock tires like that, and I got approx. 17k on them. They still have thread left, but I switched rims so I bought new tires. What do you think?
    IMO ..... if that's what the dealer told you ..... they don't know what they are talking about, so talk to SpyderAnn about it ....... She does Lazer alignments for a living..........................Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLL

Purchased these https://www.walmart.com/ip/175-65R14...Tires/52943309 before I read your post but your "tire guy" recommending "cheaper" car tires with flex sounds reasonable to me. No doubt made in the orient, just like most of the expensive brands, but I like the tread pattern and price.
    Yes I always chose a piece of LIFE DEPENDENT equipment based on " how it looks " , but seriously there are better methods .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

I am running General Altimax tires on front. I really like them.

Spyder Garage

Agree with Mike with the head banging over the dealers comments:-)

Ok so I've had my tires laser aligned twice. First time I had wear on the inside of both tires. After laser alignment the tires wore evenly (and the next set I had fitted as well). Mine were only slightly out but it still made a difference to the tire wear, and after it was done I was surprised to find handling also improved.

About two years later one tire started wearing unevenly after hitting a pothole one weekend. Laser alignment fixed the issue.

Spyder Garage

Any input on these tires would be greatly appreciated thx

Spyder Garage

I see a lot of discussion on the 15" tires, but not much on the 14" tries. I have a 2012 RSS and am getting a laser alignment done next Tuesday. I might be purchasing a new set of 14" front tires (165/65/14). What are most of you using for that? I have found a nice looking Arachnid for $73.49 on Amazon, but that appears to be all that I am able to come across. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    a very good all weather tire, I have a 2011 RTS and run these 175/65 R14 Goodyear viva 2 front, and a 215/60 R15 general ultra max on the rear, mho

Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    a very good all weather tire, I have a 2011 RTS and run these 175/65 R14 Goodyear viva 2 front, and a 215/60 R15 general ultra max on the rear, mho speedo and GPS match up exactly.

Spyder Garage

We recommend and install the Bridgestone Potenzas on the 14" front rims. Great tire.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntherapy View Post
    I purchased 2 General Altimax 175/65r14 from Discount Tires and had them mounted and balanced by them.
    I then went to a local Can Am shop for the alignment. The difference driving is amazing.
    What tire pressure are You running on the Altimaxs'? I will be mounting a set on the front of My RS tomorrow. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I'm running the same tire on the rear except it is a 215/60/15. Seems to do good. Will see what mileage I get out of it. But then that doesn't matter because my next rear tire will be the Yokohama S drive. I just mounted one of those on my wife's spyder.
    David

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Mickster

Quote Originally Posted by tntherapy View Post
    Did they pull the tires off bike for you or did you pull them yourself?

Spyder Garage

Default Don't risk the shop damaging the stud if they over torque!

Quote Originally Posted by mickster View Post
    Did they pull the tires off bike for you or did you pull them yourself?
    Pull the wheels and take into tire shop.
    You may need to take to motorcycle shop to get them balanced - Discount did not have the correct adapter for the spin balance.

Spyder Garage

Default What tire pressure are you running in these tires?

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinslow View Post
    a very good all weather tire, I have a 2011 RTS and run these 175/65 R14 Goodyear viva 2 front, and a 215/60 R15 general ultra max on the rear, mho speedo and GPS match up exactly.
    Just installed on 2011 RSS-what pressure(PSI) are you set at? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default 175-65-14 works - will take some extra work mounting !

I have to loosen the bolts of the fender - back two about 1/2 inch out - to get some more room to align the wheel. Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I couldn't be happier than with my new Yokohama tires all the way around 175-65-14 on the front and the 205 on the back. I just replaced the Original Kenda fronts with 9,000 miles on them with a brand new set of Kenda fronts...57 miles and I replaced them with the Yokohama fronts. It's like a different machine and with about 3/8" of clearance they look great too. The back 205 S drive Yokohama is excellent as well. Money and time well spent as I thought it would be.

Spyder Garage

The Goodyear Potenza would have been my close second choice depending on size. Great tire but short edge life on the 2-3 sets I've had on a car.

Spyder Garage

I have a set of Generals new Altimax on my Subaru just 7,500 so we will see. So far they are as good as it gets with a slight nod to the Yokohamas I had on previously.