Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something new

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Something new

So, yesterday we were in having the fuel pump assembly replaced(30K). BIG job, as far as disassembly of the bike goes. Because the fuel tank has to be out of the Spyder for replacement. Anyway, that phase of the job was complete and the technician has now jacked the Spyder's rear wheel up so he can run it through the gears and finish whatever diagnostics needed to be done. It is hooked up to BUDS and I have no idea at this moment why he needed to do it but, I'm sure glad he did. I'm beyond glad I was there watching. Because what I saw blew me away. The rear wheel drive sprocket was wobbling like a spinning dinner plate on the end of a stick! The tire and wheel itself were running quite true.

The Spyder spent the night in the hospital, a friend drove the 100 miles to pick me up.

I've requested they replace all bearings associated with the rear wheel and drive sprocket(repeat of what was done just 11K ago), plus they have my approval to replace anything else they find bad, once torn down. Since it will be apart the rear tire with only 11K on it will be replace too.

Top Tier touring bike my A..

Again, I truly love the Spyder as a platform.

But the maintenance requirements of this particular Spyder, and life span of its parts, is worse than any aircraft I ever worked on.

What next?

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The sprocket just sort of "plugs" into the rubber dampers, that hold it to the rim. Could they have been worn, or perhaps they just got knocked around, and un-seated during all of what was going on?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The sprocket just sort of "plugs" into the rubber dampers, that hold it to the rim. Could they have been worn, or perhaps they just got knocked around, and un-seated during all of what was going on?
    Agree... This is probably the cause since no bolts hold the sprocket on.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up I agree with your diagnosis

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Agree... This is probably the cause since no bolts hold the sprocket on.

Bob

It's the what next part that makes it very hard to ride it any further than around the block. And, you both know that's not how I roll.

Thanks for your input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck; I hope that the solution is a quick and easy one to find!
    Please let us know...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks, I hope so too, and I wil

Good luck; I hope that the solution is a quick and easy one to find!
    Please let us know...
    Trying to get it ready for a trip the second week of April.

Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Colorado, South Central Utah, Nevada(Valley of Fire), Death Valley, and then over to Bishop, Ca. and finally home. Nine days in total.

This will be the second planned outing on the Spyder that has had to be scrubbed and another bike used. Pretty disheartening.

Spyder Garage

Default Tank removal

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REPAIRS ????????????

If the only work you have EVER had done on your Spyder ....has been done by DEALER - Mechanics .....I would have some serious concerns about what has and hasn't been done while they have had it ...... This is not a normal issue..............................jmho ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default If I din't trust them I wouldn't use them

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If the only work you have EVER had done on your Spyder ....has been done by DEALER - Mechanics .....I would have some serious concerns about what has and hasn't been done while they have had it ...... This is not a normal issue..............................jmho ........ Mike
    Hi Mike,

I agree it's not normal - that said,

I'm fortunate enough to have a dealer that does ride in appointments for me and as can be seen by the photo's, I get to monitor all work that's being done. Has been this way over the five years I have owned the Spyder. While it was under warranty(first 5 years) I had them do the maintenance because I wanted the paper trail. Expensive, but necessary, in light of all the problems I've had. It has made it much easier for them to go to bat for me with BRP.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default If BRP............

If BRP would stop buying their lousy cheap a$$ parts and installing them on their expensive products, I believe we'd all be better off in both the short and the long term. We would all save money, including BRP, and the downtime would all but vanish and we could then enjoy a greater confidence in our machines. I'm just say'n...........that's my opinion an I'm stick'n to it.

Spyder Garage

Default Really. ...😲

The sprocket does have two bearings. One ball bearing and one double row bearing. If they did tire change this one thing that should be checked and overlooked by many who do their own wheel removal. Really glad it was caught before you go off into the wild blue yonder... I always have a set on hand though the manuals are less tough on those bearings....you'll be good to go soon enough good to have a friend to drive 100miles to get you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The sprocket does have two bearings. One ball bearing and one double row bearing. If they did tire change this one thing that should be checked and overlooked by many who do their own wheel removal. Really glad it was caught before you go off into the wild blue yonder... I always have a set on hand though the manuals are less tough on those bearings....you'll be good to go soon enough good to have a friend to drive 100miles to get you....
    Bearings ???? ......... from the OP's description of events and His observations ....How could the SPROCKET be wobbling ....... and NOT the WHEEL & TIRE ....... if the BEARINGS were the issue ????? ...... The BEARINGS are in the HUB and ALL the above parts are attached to that HUB !!!!!!!! ..... or did I miss something .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Don't know how .... a reassembly mishap or the race seat is a gonner....

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bearings ???? ......... from the OP's description of events and His observations ....How could the SPROCKET be wobbling ....... and NOT the WHEEL & TIRE ....... if the BEARINGS were the issue ????? ...... The BEARINGS are in the HUB and ALL the above parts are attached to that HUB !!!!!!!! ..... or did I miss something .... Mike
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Will keep watching. Some machines seem to require more repairs than others. I consider myself very lucky. I am not as patient as you--for sure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting.........

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Will keep watching. Some machines seem to require more repairs than others. I consider myself very lucky. I am not as patient as you--for sure.
    Well akspyderman, you just may be on to something here.

Spyder Garage

Default Update:

Service writer says the rear drive pulley is bent. Go figure! It's beyond me. Last it was off was the last time the tire was replaced and they did that. I know for a fact the Syder hasn't encountered anything that would have, or even could have, been the cause. I'm perplexed.

Something doesn't add up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post

Something doesn't add up.
    I agree, it would take something massive to bend that sprocket!

bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Question All, in under 30,000 miles

Under 20,000 miles on the clock

Ball joints - replaced

Front wheel bearings - replaced

Radiator fitting broke during service (known problem) - replaced Radiator

Water pump leaking - replaced

Fuel lines at the fuel pump all leaking at fittings(major leaking) - replaced

Over 25,000 miles on the clock

P0174/0171 lean fuel codes(repeated problem - codes cleared on BUDS - and then return - sometimes in a few hundred miles and once after a thousand miles)

Replaced wiring harness(did not fix), new fuel pump/sending unit being replaced(is this the fix? - won’t know until i’ve gone around the block a few times - not about to leave on an extended trip - not knowing whether it will code out again). Over a $1000.00 dollars into chasing a fix for this problem. Ridiculous for sure.

Bent rear wheel drive pulley. (no frigging idea how it could have happened - unless something happened when the dealer last replaced the tire). One thing I know for certain. I damn sure didn’t bend it.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-25-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

Arrow i hear ya

I agree, it would take something massive to bend that sprocket!

bob
    The only thing I can speculate (speculate, not accuse) is the last time the rear tire was replaced the entire unit fell onto the pulley side and bent it. I cannot think of any other feasible way it could have happened. That said, I'm open to speculation.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 03-25-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

Watch this video near the end and I show how that pulley goes on.
    Hard to believe even dropping it would bend it!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hmm

Watch this video near the end and I show how that pulley goes on.
    Hard to believe even dropping it would bend it!

Bob
    Thanks Bob.

I'm at a total loss as to how in the heck it could have gotten bent/warped.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RT and 3 warranty fixes. First was the instrument cluster, Second was the air compressor and third was the fuel pump/ sending unit. I did my own oil changes and rear tire changes. There was no problem with the warranty doing my own maintenance. Never had to cancel a trip or worry about it. 32,000 miles when I traded it for a 2016 F3 Limited.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Wobbling Drive Sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Thanks Bob.

I'm at a total loss as to how in the heck it could have gotten bent/warped.
    I would be suspicious that the Sprocket bearing has either failed or not been installed, that would allow the sprocket to wobble. The sprocket is cast and there is no way you could bend it by riding. The wheel itself is riding on two bearings and you say it was running true so that leaves either a failed sprocket bearing, no bearing installed at tire change, or someone dropped or mistreated the sprocket during tire change. My $.02 .

Spyder Garage

Default Perplexed

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    I would be suspicious that the Sprocket bearing has either failed or not been installed, that would allow the sprocket to wobble. The sprocket is cast and there is no way you could bend it by riding. The wheel itself is riding on two bearings and you say it was running true so that leaves either a failed sprocket bearing, no bearing installed at tire change, or someone dropped or mistreated the sprocket during tire change. My $.02 .
    I hear you. All I have to go on at the moment is what the service writer told me over the phone - "the sprocket is bent". The dealer is a hundred miles away, so won't see it for myself until I go in. That said, the service writer is a very competent and trustworthy fellow. Same with the tech.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Trip long planed, rooms reserved, and near ready for launch, but

the ride of choice for the trip has been in the shop for a week(again). Last word from anyone was Friday past. Not going to bug them because that'll not help resolve a thing. They'll be in touch. In the mean time, and because I'd be screwed without back up. The Indian is going in for it's 10K service and it looks like the Spyder will stay home again. Last time the Spyder failed to be trip ready, we took the FJR.

I see a pattern here.

Yes I do.