Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP BELT IDLER

Just found out the idler only has 14 day return policy . I picked it up on Jan.28/17 so I am out of time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Only 14 days?
    That seems like an incredibly short period of time!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honda View Post
    Just found out the idler only has 14 day return policy . I picked it up on Jan.28/17 so I am out of time.
    For a return. Has BRP said anything about them coming apart in only 2500 miles?

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They should cover that as a defective product. If not a refund, then a defective exchange. And I would sure get a new one from them if for no other reason that to have the metal portion (spring & bracket, etc).

Want to bet the warranty is only good if: 1. The original part was installed by a BRP tech on a F3. 2. To replace the defective kit it would also have to be again installed (and paid for again) by a BRP tech.

Spyder Garage

Default Idler

I just put Doc Humphries on my Rt and ran it down the road noticed the difference for the better right away.Took less than an hour to install.
    Loving the RYDE

Spyder Garage

Default Install or not?

I just got my BRP idler kit and don't know if I should bother installing it or just order the upgrade from Doc? I planned on adding it during my springtime oil change in about a month. Would you run the factory idler 'till it breaks or just do it right the first time?

Spyder Garage

Well i will talk about the other end of the spectrum.

I have put 3,000 miles on my BRP idler arm on my F3 Limited and it is still working great, that don't mean it won't fail tomorrow but anything man made is subject to failure.

if you are running the F3 BRP idler on a RT with someone else's adapter, then you are not running a BRP idler as it was designed.

Cruzr Joe

Just my .02 cents worth.

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Question for you, Doc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    1/4"inch is too much play IMHO! Don't feel bad, several ryders have pulled them.
    Your upgrade kit is on the way. I think she sent it priority. Might want to check the belt tension and alignment also.
    My brand new BRP tensioner has quite a bit of play..... probably close to 1/8" . Should I adjust it as per your video, or is it ok since it is plastic and might expand with heat ?

Second question. Would you use USPS mail to ship to Canada? Reason for asking is that everybody else is charging custom even if it doesn't apply under $200.00. Customer does have the burden to claim back from governement after the fact.

Thanks for the replies....

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    My brand new BRP tensioner has quite a bit of play..... probably close to 1/8" . Should I adjust it as per your video, or is it ok since it is plastic and might expand with heat ?

Second question. Would you use USPS mail to ship to Canada? Reason for asking is that everybody else is charging custom even if it doesn't apply under $200.00. Customer does have the burden to claim back from governement after the fact.

Thanks for the replies....
    We have shipped several times to Canada and it is not much more than the US shipping. The BRP unit out of the baggie has play in the pulley, either by design or........ It cannot be adjusted as the bolt and nut are as tight as they can be made.

I have never seen a belt pulley made intentionally with that much slop, but I am not an expert on these matters as everyone knows.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by honda View Post
    Return
    policy is very different from warranty. The warranty for defective BRP Parts is indeed 90 days. If your dealer refused to honor that, contact BRP directly.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I am going to lay this out the way *I* see it.

Dealer to dealer pricing on this kit is $25. That means that the dealer probably is paying BRP $12-15 per unit. That means that they are costing BRP probably no more than $7.50 each to manufacture. That is nickels and dimes compared to the investment the end consumer (us) have shelled out for these bykes.

Successful car manufacturers learn form their customers on what works and what doesn't. They are making improvements every year to problem areas. This makes a better end product.

Now, I am going to give three examples for the Spyder:

Side cases on the RT. Weak plastic joints that break due to voids in the mold. This has been since 2010. They have never changed it and made it stronger even on the 2017's. Why? Even the warranty work alone is costing them a great deal of money and with the down time on the byke the consumer is not happy with a loss of ryding time. Cause let's face it, they don't break sitting in the garage wrapped up for the winter. Cost of our fix per unit? $80. Heck, I would even give them the concept to use.

Air Bag holes from rocks. Unless you have had this happen, you have no idea the frustration of it being typically misdiagnosed (bad compressor) and the service dept. is lazy is checking the bottom of the airbag. Again, time we can't ryde while the byke is repaired. Our cost for this fix? $30.

RT Vibration Damper. Those of us that have RT's and experience vibrations have been asking for a fix. Until the F3 came along, we were shot down at every turn. Now, since we have successfully used a idler (their word, not ours) that does stop all those vibrations, we proved it could be done. This should be something that is standard equipment on both the RT & F3. Cost for this improvement? $250 at the most including install.

Now, going by the first part on costs, BRP could greatly reduce costs on the above items by buying in volume.

They are not listening to us about this stuff. Many of you are going to Valcourt. Express your concerns to them. Fix the known problems. Listen to your customers. Make improvements on these bykes in the known problem areas. This will not make the company weaker it will make it thrive by having a more bulletproof Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not making accusations but a dealer who bashes a competitor leaves their statements very suspect in my book. I am awaiting the installation of the BRP idler and will make my own judgement. Rather then discussing a competitors possible shortcomings maybe detail how yours are superior, titanium this-scandium that, warranty that is outstanding etc.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Doc , I can't believe you didn't mention the windshield .....ARM... which been a problem since 2010 !!!!!! and the warranty fix on that is $ 700.00 ................ ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Doc Humphreys - one of the "Good Guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Not making accusations but a dealer who bashes a competitor leaves their statements very suspect in my book. I am awaiting the installation of the BRP idler and will make my own judgement. Rather then discussing a competitors possible shortcomings maybe detail how yours are superior, titanium this-scandium that, warranty that is outstanding etc.
    I think being relatively new here may have prejudiced your statement. Doc knows of what he speaks, and all he has spoken here, is the truth.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc is a "Keeper".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    I think being relatively new here may have prejudiced your statement. Doc knows of what he speaks, and all he has spoken here, is the truth.

And you know this how?

Spyder Garage

Question Clarity

And you know this how?
    Are you asking what I know about Doc?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Doc , I can't believe you didn't mention the windshield .....ARM... which been a problem since 2010 !!!!!! and the warranty fix on that is $ 700.00 ................ ..... Mike
    Dang, Mike! You are right! Someone should start a thread about the known issues of both bykes and then they can be addressed at Valcourt. if we band together on these issues, and enough of us do so, it *might* make them listen.

And, Roadkill, as far what I said about the problems, all of us "oldtimers" know about these problems. and they have been discussed many, many times. Especially the middle windshield racket that can suddenly break and throw the windshield back at you.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you remember what we were ALL saying about the "998 RTs": BRP did address that list thoroughly!
    So a bit of politely-worded "observations", can go a long way toward improving our bikes!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Are you asking what I know about Doc?
    Yes. What and how do you know him. Then the bigger question is who are you. I'm not intending to be insulting. I used to be an investigator and asking questions and questioning people are second nature to me. My thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Smile I'm not insulted. We all have our ways.

Yes. What and how do you know him. Then the bigger question is who are you. I'm not intending to be insulting. I used to be an investigator and asking questions and questioning people are second nature to me. My thoughts.
    Me, I'm no one special. Just another face in a sea of them.

How do I know Doc?

Years ago I purchased his product, have had phone conversations with him, and observed the way he treats people here. Both his customers and those that may not be. So, in short, for me, he has passed the test of time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... and for exactly the same reasons!
    (Although I probably have a couple more of his products on my bike... )

Spyder Garage

Re Idler failures

I have purchased the adapter kit for 15RT from Doc and also bought the BRP idler. I have not installed yet but am now hearing about failures or at least longevity issues. My question is should I proceed with the install of the BRP arm or bag the idea all together???
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Re Idler failures

I have purchased the adapter kit for 15RT from Doc and also bought the BRP idler. I have not installed yet but am now hearing about failures or at least longevity issues. My question is should I proceed with the install of the BRP arm or bag the idea all together???
    I'm aboard that same boat as you are. I have the adapter kit and the BRP belt tensioner and haven't installed mine as yet either. What do I do?? I'm not going to bag the entire idea, but Doc's double ball bearings makes a lot more sense to me than a single bearing.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

As far as using the BRP kit, it appears that the failure is just a lack of stopping the vibrations when it fails. So far, none of them have actually seized up, causing a tow. With that in mind, and the fact that others are getting good mileage out of theirs, you could go ahead and use them. Might even last this ryding season, then you can upgrade if you want after the ryding season. Obviously, you have to make your own decisions and that is just my .02 worth.