Spyder Garage

Thumbs up New GROM WirelinQ radio interface product works!

<<Grom Audio is coming out with a smart interface cable that will enable iPod-like control for your Android device. It's available now for pre-order for shipment in the next month or so.
    I ordered the USB-C version for my HTC-10 phone, and I am hopeful that it will work on my RTL.>>

Here's the link: http://gromaudio.com/wirelinq/

Here's the latest:
    I got loud, clear music through my Spyder speakers tonight using the WirelinQ adapter and my HTC 10 Android 7.0 phone!

I started to make a video, but as soon as I hit "record" the sound disappeared. I'll have to borrow another phone.

It turns out that the DashLinQ app launcher needs to be up and running before you turn on the Spyder. This initializes the WWirelinQ and starts the Apple emulation, preventing the Spyder from ever seeing the phone as an Android. The Spyder head unit can't cope with a hot switch from Android to iOS, and if it gets an initial flash as an Android it freaks out when it transmogrifies into an Apple.

If you want you can mute the speakers and use Bluetooth to connect to your headset instead.

There are some quirks that can be annoying. This is also true of the GROM-USB3 adapter that I installed in my Honda Ridgeline.
    • Through DashLinQ you get album cover artwork, handlebar controls (track select (l-r), and volume control).
    • With DashLinQ running in the background, you can stream from other Android apps, like DoggCatcher, but you must not kill the DashLinQ app or the cable stops emulating iOS.
    • Selecting music tracks can be tricky.

One more thing: the phone needs to be accessible, because you have to use the screen to select stuff. The DashLinQ app is designed for driving, with huge buttons to jab at, but you can't avoid using them. Putting the phone in the trunk will work if you want to stream or have set up a playlist and get it going before you hit the road, but you're going to have to stop to change it.
    This why I want to extend the USB port from the trunk to the dash. With the phone mounted on the dash, and running DashLinQ, I can use the WirelinQ for audio, and keep an eye on the traffic with Waze or another nav program.

One question: How can I use my Sena 10-S as a mic for my phone for voice commands?
    Last edited by Stumpy6Guns; 05-24-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: To update OP with news
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

How would this cable connect to the Spyder RT?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

For most model spyders you still connect with hardwire in trunk or my favorite (blue tooth through fm radio.
    If you use amazons app & download the songs you have 1000s of choices, words on screen of phone and ability to skip rewind etc. Using phone.
    Volume wi b on handle bars.
    Unless the forementioned device can b mounted & use it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default I Dunno...

I watched the video. It uses an app that you launch and they specifically say for CAR RADIOS 2008+. That leads me to believe there is a standard the radios use. The Spyder (IMHO) would use a proprietary interface that is far different. The Spyder interface has set screens, and cannot add a screen to "pair" with a phone app (I would think) on the fly as it were. That dongle does look pretty darn cool though, thinking of getting it for my wife's car now! Instead of XM she can use our Amazon Prime Radio & music. Saves $. On that note thanks for the heads up.

I personally plugged in an headphone extension cable from Radio Shack to the existing harness on my 2016 RTS (I know you prob don't have - would need the adapter for your radio), and put my phone on an X mount from Pierre (sponsor on this site - his replacement bolt setup works great! check out spyderaccessories.com). That way I set up the GPS and play the music at the same time, just plug the audio cable and set to AUX. Lamonster made a video of how to connect a headphone jack to the Spyder radio (two unused pins), if you are of a technical mind. He did for his GPS but it is the same AUX input. Then mount a 12V outlet to a speaker cover for a USB power, good to go.

Just my 2 cents!

Steve

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It connects to a USB port that supports iPod control via car radio controls. Supposedly what the cable does is makes the car audio think there is an iPod attached and converts iPod control signals into whatever works to control and Android, so you have somewhat the same control over the Android you have over the iPod. It ought to work with 2016 and newer Spyders that have the USB audio port in the trunk. It might even work with the iPod to USB adapter that Finless writes about here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?102426-Make-sure-I-understand-Radio-talk&p=1237252&viewfull=1#post1237252

Stumpy, be sure to let us know if it works!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    I watched the video. It uses an app that you launch and they specifically say for CAR RADIOS 2008+. That leads me to believe there is a standard the radios use. The Spyder (IMHO) would use a proprietary interface that is far different. The Spyder interface has set screens, and cannot add a screen to "pair" with a phone app (I would think) on the fly as it were. That dongle does look pretty darn cool though, thinking of getting it for my wife's car now! Instead of XM she can use our Amazon Prime Radio & music. Saves $. On that note thanks for the heads up.

I personally plugged in an headphone extension cable from Radio Shack to the existing harness on my 2016 RTS (I know you prob don't have - would need the adapter for your radio), and put my phone on an X mount from Pierre (sponsor on this site - his replacement bolt setup works great! check out spyderaccessories.com). That way I set up the GPS and play the music at the same time, just plug the audio cable and set to AUX. Lamonster made a video of how to connect a headphone jack to the Spyder radio (two unused pins), if you are of a technical mind. He did for his GPS but it is the same AUX input. Then mount a 12V outlet to a speaker cover for a USB power, good to go.

Just my 2 cents!

Steve

The Spyder does not use a proprietary interface. It uses USB as the connection protocol and then uses Apple's specific media protocol inside that.
    No other way as that is all an iPhone /iPod has. The radio has to "talk" Apples protocol.

This cable and Android app obviously emulates an Apple Media Device protocol. How they do that without violating Apples Patent is interesting.

As for the 2 wires for input (I assume you are talking about the GPS input wires??) that I a mono connection not stereo. Good for GPS but your music will not be stereo.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-22-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default It's shipping!

I got an email from Grom Audio letting me know that the cables have arrived, and they will be shipping out tomorrow 5/18/17.

I'll let you know how it goes - maybe a video-
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile

Spyder Garage

Unhappy WireLinq from Grom Audio

Got the adapter today and tried it out with mixed results. The bike sees it as an iPod and I can switch tracks, but I can't get audio out of the speakers. I'm hopeful that there is a firmware update that will address this.

I put it in my wife's 2013 MINI Cooper, and it flat out rejected it. The radio told me to get that d*mn counterfeit cable out and use the real one that came with the car. Well, actually it said "The cable you are using is not supported. Please insert the Apple adapter supplied with the car."

I put in a support ticket with Grom. They usually respond pretty quick.

Oh- one more thing. I want to mount my phone on the dash, not in the trunk. Has anyone extended/relocated the USB input to the dash? Power is one thing, but I want the actual USB input.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    Got the adapter today and tried it out with mixed results. The bike sees it as an iPod and I can switch tracks, but I can't get audio out of the speakers. I'm hopeful that there is a firmware update that will address this.
    You do have the volume turned up to max on the player, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Yes. The phone speaker should mute and the audio should route through the Spyder's audio system.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Spyder Garage

bump
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post

I put it in my wife's 2013 MINI Cooper, and it flat out rejected it. The radio told me to get that d*mn counterfeit cable out and use the real one that came with the car. Well, actually it said "The cable you are using is not supported. Please insert the Apple adapter supplied with the car."

I put in a support ticket with Grom. They usually respond pretty quick.

Oh- one more thing. I want to mount my phone on the dash, not in the trunk. Has anyone extended/relocated the USB input to the dash? Power is one thing, but I want the actual USB input.
    Whatever happened with your Grom audio project?

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage