Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Alarm

Do I have a problem or am I just clumsy? I was wearing a pair of boots that I don't usually ride with the other day and my orange screen came up with the brake failure warning ⚠️ with flashing red brake symbol and all that. The brakes were working fine. I was a mile or so from home so I just kept going. When I got home I turned it off and waited a bit and started it back up to find everything was good 😊 I checked the fluid levels, no leaks, nothing obvious. I decided my feet were too big and I was touching the brake pedal. It has happened a couple of times since then but everything is working fine. Anyone have a suggestion? Big feet or do I need to get something fixed?
    Its a 2015 RTL with 12000 miles
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

2015 RTL "intense red pearl"

Spyder Garage

It is sounding like the good ol, new boots, foot touching brake syndrome. If it does not come back, you are good.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It's possible you tapped it with your foot. Mine was a loose brake cable and about 1 tablespoon short of full in the reservoir. I wouldn't think it would be the cable with yours since it's only a couple of years old though. I've seen stranger things on here too....
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Spyder Garage

We had that problem and it was a bad sensor. Everything seemed to be working when it happened. Took it to the shop, they put in a new sensor, and we haven't had any more problems with it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Same problem with Brake failure warning

s
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel53 View Post
    Do I have a problem or am I just clumsy? I was wearing a pair of boots that I don't usually ride with the other day and my orange screen came up with the brake failure warning ⚠️ with flashing red brake symbol and all that. The brakes were working fine. I was a mile or so from home so I just kept going. When I got home I turned it off and waited a bit and started it back up to find everything was good 😊 I checked the fluid levels, no leaks, nothing obvious. I decided my feet were too big and I was touching the brake pedal. It has happened a couple of times since then but everything is working fine. Anyone have a suggestion? Big feet or do I need to get something fixed?
    I ADDED BRAKE FLUID, AND BY TOPPING OFF THE RESERVOIR THE LIGHT WENT OUT, TRY THAT. P GARCIA
    Ryde often and safe, chase the wind every chance you get. Make a great day today.
    Farkles: Tric-LED safety package, mirror turn signals, 3rd and 4th rear light, fender lights,m, mini iPad Ram Mounts to make my mini iPad my GPS, front A Frame LEDs, Luggage rack on the trunk, sheep skill seat cover for comfort.

Spyder Garage

Default Your right....

You may have been resting on the pedal. This will cause a failure as well as a sticking brake light switch. Check both and the level is always a good thing to check from time to time...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am guessing you just had your foot barely resting on the brake pedal. Happened to me during the first couple weeks I had my bike. Happens to everyone.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Check your brake fluid!!!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Lots of guessing going on here on what it COULD be. If you pull the codes and post them here, several of us can tell you exactly what the nanny is complaining about. Until you do, its just guessing.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Pulling codes

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Lots of guessing going on here on what it COULD be. If you pull the codes and post them here, several of us can tell you exactly what the nanny is complaining about. Until you do, its just guessing.
    How do you pull the codes?
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

Spyder Garage

Get the app for your smart phone 'spydercodes'

The instructions and the codes are in the app.

While the bike is on but not running, press the mode, set and turn signal cancel buttons simultaneously.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 03-27-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 2015 RTL did that too, and it was low brake fluid. My display screen told me that, by alternating a text of the failure (not the code) with the "orange screen." Maybe yours didn't stay on long enough to cycle the message output? Anyway, I added fluid with an eyedropper, and the error went away.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Where did it go

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    My 2015 RTL did that too, and it was low brake fluid. My display screen told me that, by alternating a text of the failure (not the code) with the "orange screen." Maybe yours didn't stay on long enough to cycle the message output? Anyway, I added fluid with an eyedropper, and the error went away.
    If it is suddenly low on fluid and you don't see any leaks, where is the fluid going?
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

Spyder Garage

Default Tried it

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Get the app for your smart phone 'spydercodes'

The instructions and the codes are in the app.

While the bike is on but not running, press the mode, set and turn signal cancel buttons simultaneously.
    Pushed all the buttons and just get a front screen that is blank in the middle
    Mike Campbell
    Amarillo, Texas

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My F3-T has done it a few times. It usually stops after I turn it off and back on. I've tried adding a little brake fluid, but it didn't seem to help. It hasn't happened in about a month or so, so I don't think it is anything serious. First time it happened to me was at Spyderfest last year. A BRP tech looked at it and said everything was fine.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Pushed all the buttons and just get a front screen that is blank in the middle
    It only works when the fault is active. So the next time the fault shows up and the fault lights are still on. Then do the three button press.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yeah, the 3 button sequence only shows active codes. Stored codes can only be retrieved with BUDS.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it is suddenly low on fluid and you don't see any leaks, where is the fluid going?
    I really don't know! And here's the deeper mystery: after doing this FOUR times, it has quit now for a couple months (and I ryde almost daily). The first time, all I got was the BRAKE FAILURE orange screen. I was near my dealer so I hustled on over and the tech pulled the code, added a little fluid, and I was on my way, no charge. A week or two later it happened again so I bought a 12-oz can of DOT4, poked a hole in the foil just big enough for an eyedropper, and topped it off. Then it happened 2 more times, and I thought Well I'm faced with doing this regularly! But it then quit just as suddenly as it started, and I dunno where the fluid went.

I only remember seeing the Text message (Low Fluid, or something) on ONE of those four occasions; I don't recall which one. And I just recently had the full 30K service (at 32,000+ miles) and no mention was made of anything unusual about the brakes or the fluid.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Do I have a problem or am I just clumsy? I was wearing a pair of boots that I don't usually ride with the other day and my orange screen came up with the brake failure warning ⚠️ with flashing red brake symbol and all that. The brakes were working fine. I was a mile or so from home so I just kept going. When I got home I turned it off and waited a bit and started it back up to find everything was good [emoji4] I checked the fluid levels, no leaks, nothing obvious. I decided my feet were too big and I was touching the brake pedal. It has happened a couple of times since then but everything is working fine. Anyone have a suggestion? Big feet or do I need to get something fixed?
    Fyi my front brake sensor failed (covered extended warranty) had almost identical symptoms but mines ST 32k miles had to pull up codes for tech fyi C0048. https://youtu.be/2ORFxBtyJU4

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevetoney View Post
    We had that problem and it was a bad sensor. Everything seemed to be working when it happened. Took it to the shop, they put in a new sensor, and we haven't had any more problems with it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    I just went threw that, but after a tire change, It went bad. If it was the speed sensor, the Spyder would go into limp mode till it got fixed though. I just got it done this morning.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic