Spyder Garage

Default K&N filter for RT's with 998

I have a K&N air filter that I bought from Bajaron, excellent condition, only used for 200 miles before taking out. Make me an offer or maybe you have something to trade of equal value.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you don't me asking, why did you decide to remove the K&N filter ??

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    I have a K&N air filter that I bought from Bajaron, excellent condition, only used for 200 miles before taking out. Make me an offer or maybe you have something to trade of equal value.

Spyder Garage

Dealer said that's what caused my throttle body issue. Had to have it replaced so if I want them to warranty the new TB I had to replace with a OEM filter.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Dealer said that's what caused my throttle body issue. Had to have it replaced so if I want them to warranty the new TB I had to replace with a OEM filter.
    That sounds like a load of c**p to me. More like "I don't know what the problem is, so I'll just make something up". I have been running K&N filters in my cars for decades with no problems whatsoever. Find another dealer.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm not as polite as oldguy. Dealer is full of ! OTOH, under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, BRP would have to prove the K&N actually caused the throttle body failure which, in all probability it did not, given the known problem with the TBs. Question comes down to how deep your pockets are if you wanted to fight such a corporate claim. Best course of action is find a new dealer.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    That sounds like a load of c**p to me. More like "I don't know what the problem is, so I'll just make something up". I have been running K&N filters in my cars for decades with no problems whatsoever. Find another dealer.
    I know, I know, BRP covered the replacement of the TB and the dealer covered the labor being over a year out of warranty. So basically they put it to me this way "If you want us to cover this problem if it arises again, you need to replace with an OEM filter". I can't complain too much because in no way did I want to pay for the part of labor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I'm not as polite as oldguy. Dealer is full of ! OTOH, under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, BRP would have to prove the K&N actually caused the throttle body failure which, in all probability it did not, given the known problem with the TBs. Question comes down to how deep your pockets are if you wanted to fight such a corporate claim. Best course of action is find a new dealer.
    I agree but I have found another dealer. They're a little farther away but less traffic to deal with. But the case was documented with BRP so I don't want to have to pay either way. It took a little work to get them to cover any of the work so I can't be too pushy.

Spyder Garage

Wow! What will they come up with next!?

My DPS went out and the dealership told me it was because I had installed an aftermarket cruise control unit! Seriously! I told them to go back and think up something a bit more plausible. Next they'll be saying your horn quit because you installed an aftermarket rear tire!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

This story is as bad as running car tires, nonBRP oil, and now K&N air filter. Would love to hear them try and explain how the K&N air filter did this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    This story is as bad as running car tires, nonBRP oil, and now K&N air filter. Would love to hear them try and explain how the K&N air filter did this?

I asked for an explanantion and this is what was told, " The K&N filter has oil which gunks up on the throttle body shaft and causes them to bind therefore causing the throttle body code". They could have cleaned it but BRP suggested a replacement since others have had that problem on the older models.

I agree is horse crap but I dont want to pay that $1300 if it happens again.

Spyder Garage

Yeah I feel for you.

Spyder Garage

I asked for an explanantion and this is what was told, " The K&N filter has oil which gunks up on the throttle body shaft and causes them to bind therefore causing the throttle body code". They could have cleaned it but BRP suggested a replacement since others have had that problem on the older models.

I agree is horse crap but I dont want to pay that $1300 if it happens again.
    So, if your throttle body goes bad again, put in an OEM filter and take it in for service that way.

The K&N does use an oil attractant for dirt particles. But it stays on the filter. It doesn't migrate to the throttle body. And if it did, it would be such a small amount I can't see it creating any issues. What about the crank case ventilation circuit that runs crank case gases into the throttle body?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    So, if your throttle body goes bad again, put in an OEM filter and take it in for service that way.

The K&N does use an oil attractant for dirt particles. But it stays on the filter. It doesn't migrate to the throttle body. And if it did, it would be such a small amount I can't see it creating any issues. What about the crank case ventilation circuit that runs crank case gases into the throttle body?
    I have heard of car dealerships claiming the same thing with cars and the map sensors getting coated with oil. First I have heard of a MC shop claiming that.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default K & n FILTER BULL SH*T

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

If this is BRP's claim ........ Then why hasn't the OIL that practically SPEWS from the Breather into the AIR-BOX caused them to FAIL .......... Bet they don't have an answer for that ....... what a crock .... Mike