Spyder Garage

Default F3 (1330) Oil Sump - can I drain thru dip-stick tube?

On my 2012 RT sm5 I go 3,000 miles and then (After a Ride) Quickly extract 2 Quarts of oil and replace with fresh Synthetic and then go 2,000 more miles and change oil. Replacing 2 quarts amounts to 50% New Oil and it may be overkill BUT I have done it on the RT and GS.
    Does the F3 have a sump OR can I extract a couple quarts of oil through the dip stick without draining the oil halfway through an oil change period?? Thanks

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On your new bike; why not just got the full 9300 miles (Or one year...), and do a complete oil and filter change?
    It IS what they suggest...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    On your new bike; why not just got the full 9300 miles (Or one year...), and do a complete oil and filter change?
    It IS what they suggest...
    Because I Changed the oil at 3,000 last March and I have 6,000 Now (I have 2 Spyders ) So my year is up BUT only 3,000 on the filter? I know ALL the courses of action BUT I wonder if you can extract 2 quarts of oil from the 1330 engine like you could do on the 998????

Spyder Garage

Default Yep- Sarge you can actually do a 60% oil change on the 1330

For those of us that like to tinker and use an oil extractor, the tube down the dipstick hole will extract 3 qts of your choice of oil (I also like to "refresh" my synthetic). Choose your interval, and do a complete change with filter every other change. I only wish I had oil analysis to backup the shear life of the Rotella T6. I think some have reported some loss of vis at 4-5000 miles.

If you're mid-season and don't want to down the bike a day for a complete change, the 60% new oil gives you some fresh vis for a weekend trip. YMMV
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    For those of us that like to tinker and use an oil extractor, the tube down the dipstick hole will extract 3 qts of your choice of oil (I also like to "refresh" my synthetic). Choose your interval, and do a complete change with filter every other change. I only wish I had oil analysis to backup the shear life of the Rotella T6. I think some have reported some loss of vis at 4-5000 miles.

If you're mid-season and don't want to down the bike a day for a complete change, the 60% new oil gives you some fresh vis for a weekend trip. YMMV
    Thanks! So it works on a warm 1330 engine. I like to do this after 3,000 miles because I Personally can't see leaving oil in there 9,000 miles on my Roadster?
    Now if your riding long distances in short periods of time that may be different?

Spyder Garage

Default I usually do the 60% (3 QT) swap at around 5,000 miles

I put 18,000 miles on last year, and the wife had 24,000 so it gives us some new oil halfway between the new oil changes. I just did a pre-season complete change with filter at 19,600 so I should be able to remember to do a 60% swap at around 25,000 miles in July. I usually use the Pella extractor with 5 qt capacity within an hour of coming in from a good ride, and then whatever the marked increment of oil that I get out, I put back in with fresh Rotella T-6. It always comes close to 3 qts swapped out. Have a good riding season!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seems like a lot of work and a possible waste of oil without oil analysis. I just got a new F3L so I will be testing the Amsoil after the break in change to see how it holds up. The BRP oil in our 998 was ready for change at 4,600 as per analysis.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 03-21-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Sure....

as long as you put it back.... most oils I have seen tested here have started breaking down at around 4,000 miles so the 9,000 recommended change on the 1330 seems a bit long IMO. The partial oil change will extend but don't know that it is worth it what with the filter already loosing its filtering capasity in the end. I do do that for my brake and clutch fluids to help keep it clean.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default I appreciate the reply and your testing of the Amsoil ..

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Seems like a lot of work and a possible waste of oil without oil analysis. I just got a new F3L so I will be testing the Amsoil after the break in change to see how it holds up. The BRP oil in our 998 was ready for change at 4,600 as per analysis.
    I don't find it much work as no fittings or panels need be removed, and only about 5 or 10 suction strokes on the extractor get 60% of the contaminated oil out and a "supplement" of new vis for the remainder of the 9-10,000 mile cycle. The 3 qts Rotella T6 costs me about 16 bucks if I catch it on sale and 5 minutes time is less than it take to clean my windshield.
    Different strokes for different folks I should send off the Rotella next time I pull some at 5,000 or at the end of the mixed oil change would probably be better

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    I don't find it much work as no fittings or panels need be removed, and only about 5 or 10 suction strokes on the extractor get 60% of the contaminated oil out and a "supplement" of new vis for the remainder of the 9-10,000 mile cycle. The 3 qts Rotella T6 costs me about 16 bucks if I catch it on sale and 5 minutes time is less than it take to clean my windshield.
    Different strokes for different folks I should send off the Rotella next time I pull some at 5,000 or at the end of the mixed oil change would probably be better
    If you do it after a ride you have 2-3 Quarts out in about 5-10 Minutes and then Pour in the Same quantity and Bingo ---Feel Good for another 3,000 knowing your taking care of the engine? Just did my snow blower this afternoon- 21 ounces out and 21 ounces in after fogging the cylinder and running it dry with a stabil mix. The oil extractor makes servicing your Household machines Much Easier. I always use Castrol S 4T or equivalent because of the Jaso MA 2.

Spyder Garage

You know, it only takes about a half hour to do the job the right way.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oil changes viscosity as it wears down. So you wanna save a few bucks on an expensive machine by subjecting it to different and potentially damaging viscosities? LMAO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Oil changes viscosity as it wears down. So you wanna save a few bucks on an expensive machine by subjecting it to different and potentially damaging viscosities? LMAO
    It does seem a bit like buying your underwear at Wal-Mart, and wearing it under your favorite Hugo Boss suit...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It does seem a bit like buying your underwear at Wal-Mart, and wearing it under your favorite Hugo Boss suit...
    Now
    wait a minute....what is wrong with buying skivvies at WalMart?....Then again, I don't own a Hugo Boss suit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You know, it only takes about a half hour to do the job the right way.
    Exactly.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White