Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default F3 (1330) Oil Sump - can I drain thru dip-stick tube?

On my 2012 RT sm5 I go 3,000 miles and then (After a Ride) Quickly extract 2 Quarts of oil and replace with fresh Synthetic and then go 2,000 more miles and change oil. Replacing 2 quarts amounts to 50% New Oil and it may be overkill BUT I have done it on the RT and GS.
    Does the F3 have a sump OR can I extract a couple quarts of oil through the dip stick without draining the oil halfway through an oil change period?? Thanks

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On your new bike; why not just got the full 9300 miles (Or one year...), and do a complete oil and filter change?
    It IS what they suggest...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    On your new bike; why not just got the full 9300 miles (Or one year...), and do a complete oil and filter change?
    It IS what they suggest...
    Because I Changed the oil at 3,000 last March and I have 6,000 Now (I have 2 Spyders ) So my year is up BUT only 3,000 on the filter? I know ALL the courses of action BUT I wonder if you can extract 2 quarts of oil from the 1330 engine like you could do on the 998????

Spyder Garage

Default Yep- Sarge you can actually do a 60% oil change on the 1330

For those of us that like to tinker and use an oil extractor, the tube down the dipstick hole will extract 3 qts of your choice of oil (I also like to "refresh" my synthetic). Choose your interval, and do a complete change with filter every other change. I only wish I had oil analysis to backup the shear life of the Rotella T6. I think some have reported some loss of vis at 4-5000 miles.

If you're mid-season and don't want to down the bike a day for a complete change, the 60% new oil gives you some fresh vis for a weekend trip. YMMV
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    For those of us that like to tinker and use an oil extractor, the tube down the dipstick hole will extract 3 qts of your choice of oil (I also like to "refresh" my synthetic). Choose your interval, and do a complete change with filter every other change. I only wish I had oil analysis to backup the shear life of the Rotella T6. I think some have reported some loss of vis at 4-5000 miles.

If you're mid-season and don't want to down the bike a day for a complete change, the 60% new oil gives you some fresh vis for a weekend trip. YMMV
    Thanks! So it works on a warm 1330 engine. I like to do this after 3,000 miles because I Personally can't see leaving oil in there 9,000 miles on my Roadster?
    Now if your riding long distances in short periods of time that may be different?

Spyder Garage

Default I usually do the 60% (3 QT) swap at around 5,000 miles

I put 18,000 miles on last year, and the wife had 24,000 so it gives us some new oil halfway between the new oil changes. I just did a pre-season complete change with filter at 19,600 so I should be able to remember to do a 60% swap at around 25,000 miles in July. I usually use the Pella extractor with 5 qt capacity within an hour of coming in from a good ride, and then whatever the marked increment of oil that I get out, I put back in with fresh Rotella T-6. It always comes close to 3 qts swapped out. Have a good riding season!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss