Thread: Wiring

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wiring

Hello, could anyone point me towards a thread or video that can show me how to wire up a usb plug to my bars. Mainly in looking for the best way to route the wires. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtnapper73 View Post
    Hello, could anyone point me towards a thread or video that can show me how to wire up a usb plug to my bars. Mainly in looking for the best way to route the wires. Thanks.
    Not sure what model F3 you have, but Lamonster's YouTube videos are a good start point.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfC9JzV93Q

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY

GO DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY...
    I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT TRY TO TAP INTO THE 'OEM' WIRE HARNESS AT ANY POINT... BAD BAD BAD....
    HERE'S WHAT I DID ON MY F3...
    20150309_153119.jpg
    I MOUNTED A X-MEMBER TO MY WINDSHIELD SUPPORTS, AND MOUNTED THE USB TO THAT, ALONG WITH MY RADAR DETECTOR & GARAGE DOOR OPENER....
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT...
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry i forgot to mention it is a 2016 F3-s, thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's strange i was under the impression that the battery was under the seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Battery is in the frunk on f3s. Was under seat on earlier models. Just take out frunk liner via four push tabs, and there's the battery.

you could use the customer accessory circuit located under the safety card little panel and feed wire up to where you want it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Battery is in the frunk on f3s. Was under seat on earlier models. Just take out frunk liner via four push tabs, and there's the battery.

you could use the customer accessory circuit located under the safety card little panel and feed wire up to where you want it.
    Cool thank you very much, you made it a lot easier.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    GO DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY...
    I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU NOT TRY TO TAP INTO THE 'OEM' WIRE HARNESS AT ANY POINT... BAD BAD BAD....
    HERE'S WHAT I DID ON MY F3...
    20150309_153119.jpg
    I MOUNTED A X-MEMBER TO MY WINDSHIELD SUPPORTS, AND MOUNTED THE USB TO THAT, ALONG WITH MY RADAR DETECTOR & GARAGE DOOR OPENER....
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT...
    DAN P
    SPYD3R
    NOPE...

Just Nope. While a direct connect to the battery is an option there are two problems with that.

1. Unless your USB socket has a separate on/off switch, that USB socket will ALWAYS draw power regardless of whether or not a usb device is plugged in... So you'll have perpetual parasitic draw 24/7 or if it has a switch and you forget to turn it off.

2. BRP provides 3 accessory hookups. One at the Frunk and battery, One on the left side for the bars, and one under the rear seat. They are a switched circuit that only energizes with the engine and are probably the best option for most people.

I have a direct connect to the battery too for when I need it, but it is just a powerlet and not a USB port so no parasitic power consumption when parked and not on a battery tender.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER