Thread: GPS

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

what is a good GPS that you use

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gena1364 View Post
    How budget constrained are you, if any? Do you want to keep it under $300 or so or are you ready to spend up to $1000?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Also, what Spyder are you considering this for?
    All Spyders can use a cell phone's GPS, there's different mounts that allow a cell phone to be mounted between the middle of handlebars, on one side of the bars, or over the dash.
    I mounted my cell over the top of the dash like this.

It has constant power and sits at a good angle.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    How budget constrained are you, if any? Do you want to keep it under $300 or so or are you ready to spend up to $1000?
    lol I guess I am on a budget not 1000.00 but 300 would be ok

Spyder Garage

Default GPS

You can use free Google maps if you have a smart phone but it uses a lot of data. For less than $300 you can get a really nice Garmin or TomTom GPS that is for automobiles but will work on the Spyder. But it won’t be waterproof and won’t be Bluetooth capable if you wish to hear turn by turn directions thru your headset. What you spend depends on what type of bells and whistles you want.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What do you want it for exactly?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I would recommend the Zumo series by Garmin. I am putting a 595LM on my 2018 RTL. They are a bit pricy but worth the money if you do a lot of riding in places you have never been before. I know someone will say that the built in maps on the 2018 (with a smart phone) are there so why use a Garmin.... but anyways... We just did an 11 day ride from CO to Vancouver Island and I was able to plan the whole trip on my Mac before hand and transfer it to the Garmin. As with anything on these machines, it is a personal preference thing.

willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Garmin 595. We liked it so much we put one on the Spyder and the Ducati. Fantastic device.
    2016 F3 Limited in Pearl White-LaMonster GPS mount, LED fog lights, BajaRon anti-sway bar, Doc Humphrey's vibration dampener
    2013 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout CVO/ 110ci of potato-potato goodness
    2016 Ducati Xdiavel/ A street demon with a belt and forward controls

Spyder Garage

I use the nuvi 57 Garmin the same one I use for work. Bought the ram ball to Garmin adapter so I could use the regular mount for the Garmin. I works good and very little issue with not being able to see the screen. Remember that any apps for phone mapping do not work when you do not have cel service and those are the times that the mapping can be very useful. The Garmin does not have this issue.
    http://www.gpsbikemount.com/ramtogarminadapter.html
    2015 RTS, Corbin armrest, Lamonster Spyderdock outfitted for Garmin mount, Spyder cuff with cup holder, highway pegs, Lidlox, Bumpskid, Swaybar, XM dock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What do you want it for exactly?
    just to find my way home if I get lost lol I would like it to be bluetooth

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a Samsung tablet, Tab A 8.0, with Sygic nav app. Nice big screen and can check email during stops! Not waterproof but I haven't found that to be a real issue. One time during rain I put it into the trunk and since I have it BT connected via a BT receiver into the GPS input I kept getting the turn by turn verbal instructions!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I've tried phone/tablet, car GPS and motorbike GPS.

If your going to use it all the time, do long journeys, want to operate it while riding/wearing gloves, ride in the rain etc. Then I'd recommend a proper motorbike one e.g. Garmin 595 or 396.

If its just occasional use, you don't need to operate it while riding or try and avoid the rain then the phone/tablet works fine.

I found a car one tends to be too much of a compromise either way.

If you go the phone/tablet route then there are plenty of available mounts, though something that uses the ram mount system is probably the best way to go. Don't bother with a Ram Aquamount though because in my experience they are useless (a ziplock bag works better). I'm not a fan of using google maps on the move because its reliant on data all the time - so if you get lost where there's no signal your stuck. There are several GPS apps available, just choose one that can work 'off-line' i.e. has built in maps & routing and if possible a motorbike mode. The problems with the phone option is that they are difficult if not impossible to use when riding and the screens can be made unreadable by the sun (though car GPS's are normally even worse for this), can be fiddly to remove from your Spyder when you stop at a gas station etc.

Why I think a Garmin motorbike one is the answer if you have serious need are:
    • Can be operated on the move and have screens that can be easily operated with gloves
    • Screens work in sunshine
    • Come with all the stuff you need to wire them in and mount them + can me removed in a second when you stop
    • Waterproof and rugged (I've dropped my 590 a couple of times to no ill effect).

Of course the big problem with Garmin ones are the cost as they are expensive for a dedicated use item - though you can use them in your car/truck as well.

Spyder Garage

If you have a smartphone use WAZE and get the required mounts.
    If you want dedicated GPS, Garmin Zumo, but the accuracy and correctness of WAZE will be far superior.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

As you can see, if you ask 10 people, you'll get 12 answers....

My preference is the Tomtom Rider 400.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Red face

I am a big fan of refurbished electronic....same warranty as new.. recently bought a Garmin 50 DriveSmart auto gps for $90 🇨🇦

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just to find my way home if I get lost lol I would like it to be bluetooth
    IF....you already have a smart phone, then the answer to that probably is easy......and cheap: zero dollars to use a free GPS app and the bluetooth capability already built into the phone. They really do work quite good.

Battery life might be a consideration though. In GPS use, the phone uses quite a bit of power, especially if you keep the screen ON all the time.

Spyder Garage

Default gps ideas thanksk

I use a Samsung tablet, Tab A 8.0, with Sygic nav app. Nice big screen and can check email during stops! Not waterproof but I haven't found that to be a real issue. One time during rain I put it into the trunk and since I have it BT connected via a BT receiver into the GPS input I kept getting the turn by turn verbal instructions!
    Thanks so much

Spyder Garage

Default gps

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Also, what Spyder are you considering this for?
    All Spyders can use a cell phone's GPS, there's different mounts that allow a cell phone to be mounted between the middle of handlebars, on one side of the bars, or over the dash.
    I mounted my cell over the top of the dash like this.

It has constant power and sits at a good angle.

ok great help thanks I have a f3 limited

Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Zumo

I have had a Zumo for 5 years and use it biking, ATVing and snowmobiling. Works great. Has free BaseCamp software for making turn-by-turn routes on computer and transfer to gps. Garmin has very good tech support also. Much more capability (tire pressure sensing for instance) than you get with the phone apps. More cost also of course.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

Default Zumo 550

I have a Zumo 550 I just updated with 2019 North America maps I now longer have a use for. Left hand controls for a motorcycle with bluetooth. Would sell worth the money

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    If you have a smartphone use WAZE and get the required mounts.
    If you want dedicated GPS, Garmin Zumo, but the accuracy and correctness of WAZE will be far superior.

AJ
    I just loaded the waze , it looks good thanks

Spyder Garage

Default I haven't read every post but

if you plan to use your phone as the GPS unit, you should look at Genius Maps, the APP for the 2018 BRP Connect. You can use that APP on your phone directly if you do not have a 2018 model. The maps are downloaded and stored on the phone so no data. You can download only the maps you need as they are separated by region within North America and also Europe. There are fees to download so you must compare there fees gainst buying a standalone GPS unit.

Full disclosure, I have a 2018 F3L and have tried to use Genius maps thru the display. It's a bit small and too far for my eyes, so I am using as well my BMW Navigator V from my previous bike. That said, it's nice to have the APP on my phone in case I don't have the GPS with me and got lost.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

awesome idea

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    if you plan to use your phone as the GPS unit, you should look at Genius Maps, the APP for the 2018 BRP Connect. You can use that APP on your phone directly if you do not have a 2018 model. The maps are downloaded and stored on the phone so no data. You can download only the maps you need as they are separated by region within North America and also Europe. There are fees to download so you must compare there fees gainst buying a standalone GPS unit.

Full disclosure, I have a 2018 F3L and have tried to use Genius maps thru the display. It's a bit small and too far for my eyes, so I am using as well my BMW Navigator V from my previous bike. That said, it's nice to have the APP on my phone in case I don't have the GPS with me and got lost.
    I have a smart phone that I can use but I thought a gps it would be easier on the eyes , thanks for you help

Spyder Garage

Just replaced an old Nuvi 1450 that I paid over $300 for years ago, with a new Garmin Drive 5. Got it for half the price I paid for the Nuvi, and it does more than the Nuvi did. Used it today to get us around Deadwood and the sites with a route I uploaded to it from Tyre.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White