Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Lamonster Approved Wheel Balancers for your Spyder

We have good stock now.

Lamonster Garage
    has been working exclusively with Centramatic in developing a wheel balancer for the Can Am Spyder. This project has taken over a year with many prototype units and redesigns. When we first started the project there were a limited amount of wheels on the market for the Spyder. The first set we made worked great on some of the wheels, but not all of them. There were clearance issues with the caliper and taper of the back of the wheel. After we worked that out we had to determine the right amount of weight to add to the rings to get the best effect and to overcome a tire that needed a lot of weight to balance. It's not unusual for a Spyder tire to take 3 to 4 oz to balance out. I had two front tires on my F3 that had a bounce I couldn't get rid of. I could see it in my fenders and sometimes it shook so badly, I thought it was going to break my fender supports. After changing to new tires it was better but still had a shake and that was with 3.5 oz of weight. After getting the finished product a few months ago I was pleased to see the fenders no longer shook and the ride was smooth as glass. Both Joan and I have ridden many thousands of miles since then will great results.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...cers-full-set/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have my set and getting ready to install soon.

All I was worried about was the rear clearance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This looks like a very interesting and useful product!
    I have never been comfortable with pumping a tire full of beads or goop. to balance them. I sort of figured that changing that tire would always be a huge mess!
    This solves that issue completely!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

BB's are a lot cheaper and do the same thing.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RTL with 14" front wheels. According to your video the wheel balancers won't work on 14" wheels. Is there going to be a version that will work?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

I had them on my Goldwing for years and never had a problem. I enjoyed wheels that were always balanced as well as a more stable bike. Centramatic makes a fine product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Igofshn View Post

No,
    they do not.

First they wear and end up as steel dust in the tires. Second they settle out each time you slow or stop and cause shimmy each time you take off or speed up as they rebalance. There was a lot of research that went into these balancers and the product has been on the market in the heavy equipment and other motorcycle markets for years. Its well proven. Not a new fad. Read up. Your comment and ones like it have been hashed out over and over in other markets where these have launched. They eventually fade as the product proves itself in yet another application. The difficulty was fitting these to the Spyder, took a great deal of trial and refit and testing.

The centramatic balancers are a one time permanent solution.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 03-21-2017 at 06:38 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Igofshn View Post
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I'll stick with RideOn. That was the flavor of the day when I first came on here, and my ride has been smooth all that time.

Spyder Garage

I didn't realize we had to get permission to post.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    No,
    they do not.

First they wear and end up as steel dust in the tires. Second they settle out each time you slow or stop and cause shimmy each time you take off or speed up as they rebalance. There was a lot of research that went into these balancers and the product has been on the market in the heavy equipment and other motorcycle markets for years. Its well proven. Not a new fad. Read up. Your comment and ones like it have been hashed out over and over in other markets where these have launched. They eventually fade as the product proves itself in yet another application. The difficulty was fitting these to the Spyder, took a great deal of trial and refit and testing.

The centramatic balancers are a one time permanent solution.
    Definitely not speaking from experience.

Spyder Garage

Having used both dynabeads and centramatic balancers, I can tell you first hand there is a big difference in actual use. Easier install and one time purchase are just additional benefits. Before these were available to Spyder owners, in tire balancers were about the best you could do. Time moves on, better products become available.

I can tell you if you try them, you will notice the difference. Its not subtle.

Look, I don't make money off Lamont selling these. Was just involved in the product development and have prior history with them. I have seen this same set of arguments and discussions in the Gold Wing and Harley Forums. Old news. If you have not tried them, you have no valid opinion. Loose beads in a tire vs heavy metal in a viscous fluid, contained in a tight circle react very differently during driving dynamics. Value for the money is a different issue and we each place a different scale on that.

Its much like sway bars. They work, not doubt about it. Worth is for each person to decide.

At least now, thanks to Lamont and others, the Spyder community has the choice of a better option. The crappy Kenda tires make it all the more useful on newer bikes. I suppose there is some down side to making Kenda tires last longer.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I'm so thankful we have these "experts" with Engineering degrees to explain who is correct and who is not!
    Well as the saying goes, "Opinions are like A--holes. Everybody has one!"

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I appreciate Lamont always looking to improve things. Sure it can be frustrating investing in something and months later there is something different or better, but that's life. There's no need to argue about different methods or technologies. To me it's simple - understand the options and make a choice. What works for one doesn't always work for another. I really do hate coming to this community and watching people cop attitudes, name call and hurl insults. So, with all that said... I'd like to just understand better...

I too have Ride-On in my tires as it was recommended about a year ago. I am about ready to change tires so this option has an appeal. I can put these and not worry about some other internal tire stuff like Ride-On, etc. or, I can do Ride-On again. I do like the instant road hazard fix aspect of the Ride-On or AmerSeal as Lamonster is currently recommending so that begs the question to me if I will put something in tire anyway, why not just Ride-On again and get the balancing aspect again. Yes, one negative they say about Ride-On is when tire is not spun in a while the stuff settles and there can be a little time for it to even out again. That hasn't typically been an issue for me because here in FL I am riding usually AT LEAST once a week usually more 365 days a year. The Ride-On does seem to smooth things out.

So here's the real thing for me... Ride-On, at least for me, riding often enough, is always 'ready' and working, no thuds or start up time. Looking at the demonstration video on the Centramatics it looks like they balance perfectly at speed, probably highway speed but they seem to wobble starting up or slowing down. So it looks like this would be perfect for full time highway riding, but what about city riding with alot of < 50mph stop and go? It almost seems the Centramatics will constantly be spinning up and settling almost always being out of balance? I can see the application on trucks traveling cross country all the time but I am concerned about local riding.

Anyone have experience with these and real life experience in stop/go riding? Do you not notice anything at slower speeds or is there 'wobble' at ramp up/slow down periods?
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    I appreciate Lamont always looking to improve things. Sure it can be frustrating investing in something and months later there is something different or better, but that's life. There's no need to argue about different methods or technologies. To me it's simple - understand the options and make a choice. What works for one doesn't always work for another. I really do hate coming to this community and watching people cop attitudes, name call and hurl insults. So, with all that said... I'd like to just understand better...

I too have Ride-On in my tires as it was recommended about a year ago. I am about ready to change tires so this option has an appeal. I can put these and not worry about some other internal tire stuff like Ride-On, etc. or, I can do Ride-On again. I do like the instant road hazard fix aspect of the Ride-On or AmerSeal as Lamonster is currently recommending so that begs the question to me if I will put something in tire anyway, why not just Ride-On again and get the balancing aspect again. Yes, one negative they say about Ride-On is when tire is not spun in a while the stuff settles and there can be a little time for it to even out again. That hasn't typically been an issue for me because here in FL I am riding usually AT LEAST once a week usually more 365 days a year. The Ride-On does seem to smooth things out.

So here's the real thing for me... Ride-On, at least for me, riding often enough, is always 'ready' and working, no thuds or start up time. Looking at the demonstration video on the Centramatics it looks like they balance perfectly at speed, probably highway speed but they seem to wobble starting up or slowing down. So it looks like this would be perfect for full time highway riding, but what about city riding with alot of < 50mph stop and go? It almost seems the Centramatics will constantly be spinning up and settling almost always being out of balance? I can see the application on trucks traveling cross country all the time but I am concerned about local riding.

Anyone have experience with these and real life experience in stop/go riding? Do you not notice anything at slower speeds or is there 'wobble' at ramp up/slow down periods?
    With the dyna beads I noticed the wobble at low speeds. With the centramatics there is none, or far far less.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Correct me if wrong,

Centramatic should perform a balance better than gel or beads within a tire, simply because the balance disc is round, unlike a tire with a perpetually moving flat spot.

In regards to Centramatic balancers, yes these are a dynamic balance simply on account of motion.

In regards to the Centramatic balancer, the balance is accomplished on a single rotating plane, which is a step up from a rotating conventional static balance where all weights are applied in the same rotational plane.

Compared to a balance using weights, done as a common dynamic balance on a car, the weights are installed on two rotating planes, one on the rims inboard edge and one on the rims outboard edge or similar. Doing this type balance overcomes precession or rotating wobble.

Is the Centramatic balancing disc able to accomplish dual plane anti precession type balance control? On a narrow aspect ratio of diameter to width, single plane balance seems adequate. The wider the aspect ratio, it would seem the greater the need for an inner and outer balancing disc. Granted, the rear wheel is wheel mounted to reduce precession.

The gel type product has capability to flow laterally effectively providing dual plane balance.

Not bagging on the product or concept. Simply wanting to understand it more. Based on experience, I find that a two plane balance out performs a single plane balance with solid weights. Just curious if these can outperform an accurate two plane balance with solid weights.
    Last edited by PMK; 03-21-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

To be accurate about use and added expense. It seems that gel type balance products could be used in a replacement tire, simply by using a squeegy to scrape from the old tire, and apply into the new tire before mounting.

Correct or incorrect?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    To be accurate about use and added expense. It seems that gel type balance products could be used in a replacement tire, simply by using a squeegy to scrape from the old tire, and apply into the new tire before mounting.

Correct or incorrect?
    How would you transfer it into the new tire?
    Don't you stand to have it run out?
    (Unless you are VERY careful about how the tire is handled?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The few times I had my tires changed, I purchased new RideOn. After the tire sits, and I don't know the exact time, the RideOn puddles at the bottom of the tire. I guess if you want to save money, you could scoop it out and reuse. Then again, when you put the tire on the machine to install on the rim, some may come out.

I'm sure Lamont's balancer is better. It was just an alternative I mentioned after someone else did.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't want to dillute the Centramatic topic, but I did not have issue when I changed Rafaels tire. Rafael wore out Kenda rear #1. I installed my worn, but still with some life left oem Kenda onto his RTS. To balance it with use a bottle of Ride On. When I installed Rafaels Yokohama, I noticed the Ride On was gelled in the cool tire. Nothing ran or drained or leaked from inside the tire. Had I thought of it, I could easily have scraped it out of the old tire and placed it into the new Yokohama, saving him the cost of a bottle of Ride On. Assuming it can be done.

Spyder Garage

I remember reading that Ride On doesn't recommend reusing their product out of an old tyre

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Final version Centramatic balancers installed!

20170321_173510.jpg

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

YIKES

THE GLASS HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY

Spyder Garage

Joan and I rode over 400 miles yesterday and the ride was smooth as glass. Remember I went from thinking my fender mounts were going to break to this. I'm very pleased with the results.

We good stock now too if you've been waiting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Lamont!
    The front ones look pretty easy to install.
    If the rear one hides behind the disc; I'm guessing that it's a chore best undertaken during a tire change?