Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  68
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 83
  1. #1
    SpyderLovers Founder Lamonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    15,601

    Thumbs up Lamonster Approved Wheel Balancers for your Spyder

    We have good stock now.

    Lamonster Garage
    has been working exclusively with Centramatic in developing a wheel balancer for the Can Am Spyder. This project has taken over a year with many prototype units and redesigns. When we first started the project there were a limited amount of wheels on the market for the Spyder. The first set we made worked great on some of the wheels, but not all of them. There were clearance issues with the caliper and taper of the back of the wheel. After we worked that out we had to determine the right amount of weight to add to the rings to get the best effect and to overcome a tire that needed a lot of weight to balance. It's not unusual for a Spyder tire to take 3 to 4 oz to balance out. I had two front tires on my F3 that had a bounce I couldn't get rid of. I could see it in my fenders and sometimes it shook so badly, I thought it was going to break my fender supports. After changing to new tires it was better but still had a shake and that was with 3.5 oz of weight. After getting the finished product a few months ago I was pleased to see the fenders no longer shook and the ride was smooth as glass. Both Joan and I have ridden many thousands of miles since then will great results.
    http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...cers-full-set/




  2. #2
    Very Active Member trikermutha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    I have my set and getting ready to install soon.

    All I was worried about was the rear clearance.

  3. #3
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    81,893

    Default

    This looks like a very interesting and useful product!
    I have never been comfortable with pumping a tire full of beads or goop. to balance them. I sort of figured that changing that tire would always be a huge mess!
    This solves that issue completely!

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Gone; not forgotten!)

  4. #4
    Member Igofshn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lemoore, Ca
    Posts
    29

    Default

    BB's are a lot cheaper and do the same thing.

  5. #5
    Very Active Member Y Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    918

    Default

    I have a 2011 RTL with 14" front wheels. According to your video the wheel balancers won't work on 14" wheels. Is there going to be a version that will work?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops

  6. #6
    Active Member papanorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    central texas
    Posts
    169

    Default

    I had them on my Goldwing for years and never had a problem. I enjoyed wheels that were always balanced as well as a more stable bike. Centramatic makes a fine product.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Igofshn View Post
    BB's are a lot cheaper and do the same thing.

    No,
    they do not.

    First they wear and end up as steel dust in the tires. Second they settle out each time you slow or stop and cause shimmy each time you take off or speed up as they rebalance. There was a lot of research that went into these balancers and the product has been on the market in the heavy equipment and other motorcycle markets for years. Its well proven. Not a new fad. Read up. Your comment and ones like it have been hashed out over and over in other markets where these have launched. They eventually fade as the product proves itself in yet another application. The difficulty was fitting these to the Spyder, took a great deal of trial and refit and testing.

    The centramatic balancers are a one time permanent solution.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 03-21-2017 at 06:38 AM.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Occoquan, VA
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Igofshn View Post
    BB's are a lot cheaper and do the same thing.
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    Chris

    2016 F3-T SE6

  9. #9
    Very Active Member wyliec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    5,836

    Default

    I'll stick with RideOn. That was the flavor of the day when I first came on here, and my ride has been smooth all that time.

  10. #10
    Very Active Member wyliec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    5,836

    Default

    I didn't realize we had to get permission to post.

  11. #11
    Member Igofshn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Lemoore, Ca
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    No,
    they do not.

    First they wear and end up as steel dust in the tires. Second they settle out each time you slow or stop and cause shimmy each time you take off or speed up as they rebalance. There was a lot of research that went into these balancers and the product has been on the market in the heavy equipment and other motorcycle markets for years. Its well proven. Not a new fad. Read up. Your comment and ones like it have been hashed out over and over in other markets where these have launched. They eventually fade as the product proves itself in yet another application. The difficulty was fitting these to the Spyder, took a great deal of trial and refit and testing.

    The centramatic balancers are a one time permanent solution.
    Definitely not speaking from experience.

  12. #12
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,700

    Default

    Having used both dynabeads and centramatic balancers, I can tell you first hand there is a big difference in actual use. Easier install and one time purchase are just additional benefits. Before these were available to Spyder owners, in tire balancers were about the best you could do. Time moves on, better products become available.

    I can tell you if you try them, you will notice the difference. Its not subtle.

    Look, I don't make money off Lamont selling these. Was just involved in the product development and have prior history with them. I have seen this same set of arguments and discussions in the Gold Wing and Harley Forums. Old news. If you have not tried them, you have no valid opinion. Loose beads in a tire vs heavy metal in a viscous fluid, contained in a tight circle react very differently during driving dynamics. Value for the money is a different issue and we each place a different scale on that.

    Its much like sway bars. They work, not doubt about it. Worth is for each person to decide.

    At least now, thanks to Lamont and others, the Spyder community has the choice of a better option. The crappy Kenda tires make it all the more useful on newer bikes. I suppose there is some down side to making Kenda tires last longer.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S.

  13. #13
    Very Active Member PaladinLV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    723

    Default

    I'm so thankful we have these "experts" with Engineering degrees to explain who is correct and who is not!
    Well as the saying goes, "Opinions are like A--holes. Everybody has one!"

    AJ


    2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna


  14. #14
    Active Member SpyderSteveFL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    309

    Default

    I appreciate Lamont always looking to improve things. Sure it can be frustrating investing in something and months later there is something different or better, but that's life. There's no need to argue about different methods or technologies. To me it's simple - understand the options and make a choice. What works for one doesn't always work for another. I really do hate coming to this community and watching people cop attitudes, name call and hurl insults. So, with all that said... I'd like to just understand better...

    I too have Ride-On in my tires as it was recommended about a year ago. I am about ready to change tires so this option has an appeal. I can put these and not worry about some other internal tire stuff like Ride-On, etc. or, I can do Ride-On again. I do like the instant road hazard fix aspect of the Ride-On or AmerSeal as Lamonster is currently recommending so that begs the question to me if I will put something in tire anyway, why not just Ride-On again and get the balancing aspect again. Yes, one negative they say about Ride-On is when tire is not spun in a while the stuff settles and there can be a little time for it to even out again. That hasn't typically been an issue for me because here in FL I am riding usually AT LEAST once a week usually more 365 days a year. The Ride-On does seem to smooth things out.

    So here's the real thing for me... Ride-On, at least for me, riding often enough, is always 'ready' and working, no thuds or start up time. Looking at the demonstration video on the Centramatics it looks like they balance perfectly at speed, probably highway speed but they seem to wobble starting up or slowing down. So it looks like this would be perfect for full time highway riding, but what about city riding with alot of < 50mph stop and go? It almost seems the Centramatics will constantly be spinning up and settling almost always being out of balance? I can see the application on trucks traveling cross country all the time but I am concerned about local riding.

    Anyone have experience with these and real life experience in stop/go riding? Do you not notice anything at slower speeds or is there 'wobble' at ramp up/slow down periods?
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

  15. #15
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    I appreciate Lamont always looking to improve things. Sure it can be frustrating investing in something and months later there is something different or better, but that's life. There's no need to argue about different methods or technologies. To me it's simple - understand the options and make a choice. What works for one doesn't always work for another. I really do hate coming to this community and watching people cop attitudes, name call and hurl insults. So, with all that said... I'd like to just understand better...

    I too have Ride-On in my tires as it was recommended about a year ago. I am about ready to change tires so this option has an appeal. I can put these and not worry about some other internal tire stuff like Ride-On, etc. or, I can do Ride-On again. I do like the instant road hazard fix aspect of the Ride-On or AmerSeal as Lamonster is currently recommending so that begs the question to me if I will put something in tire anyway, why not just Ride-On again and get the balancing aspect again. Yes, one negative they say about Ride-On is when tire is not spun in a while the stuff settles and there can be a little time for it to even out again. That hasn't typically been an issue for me because here in FL I am riding usually AT LEAST once a week usually more 365 days a year. The Ride-On does seem to smooth things out.

    So here's the real thing for me... Ride-On, at least for me, riding often enough, is always 'ready' and working, no thuds or start up time. Looking at the demonstration video on the Centramatics it looks like they balance perfectly at speed, probably highway speed but they seem to wobble starting up or slowing down. So it looks like this would be perfect for full time highway riding, but what about city riding with alot of < 50mph stop and go? It almost seems the Centramatics will constantly be spinning up and settling almost always being out of balance? I can see the application on trucks traveling cross country all the time but I am concerned about local riding.

    Anyone have experience with these and real life experience in stop/go riding? Do you not notice anything at slower speeds or is there 'wobble' at ramp up/slow down periods?
    With the dyna beads I noticed the wobble at low speeds. With the centramatics there is none, or far far less.

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S.

  16. #16
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    Correct me if wrong,

    Centramatic should perform a balance better than gel or beads within a tire, simply because the balance disc is round, unlike a tire with a perpetually moving flat spot.

    In regards to Centramatic balancers, yes these are a dynamic balance simply on account of motion.

    In regards to the Centramatic balancer, the balance is accomplished on a single rotating plane, which is a step up from a rotating conventional static balance where all weights are applied in the same rotational plane.

    Compared to a balance using weights, done as a common dynamic balance on a car, the weights are installed on two rotating planes, one on the rims inboard edge and one on the rims outboard edge or similar. Doing this type balance overcomes precession or rotating wobble.

    Is the Centramatic balancing disc able to accomplish dual plane anti precession type balance control? On a narrow aspect ratio of diameter to width, single plane balance seems adequate. The wider the aspect ratio, it would seem the greater the need for an inner and outer balancing disc. Granted, the rear wheel is wheel mounted to reduce precession.

    The gel type product has capability to flow laterally effectively providing dual plane balance.

    Not bagging on the product or concept. Simply wanting to understand it more. Based on experience, I find that a two plane balance out performs a single plane balance with solid weights. Just curious if these can outperform an accurate two plane balance with solid weights.
    Last edited by PMK; 03-21-2017 at 11:51 AM.

  17. #17
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    To be accurate about use and added expense. It seems that gel type balance products could be used in a replacement tire, simply by using a squeegy to scrape from the old tire, and apply into the new tire before mounting.

    Correct or incorrect?

  18. #18
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    81,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    To be accurate about use and added expense. It seems that gel type balance products could be used in a replacement tire, simply by using a squeegy to scrape from the old tire, and apply into the new tire before mounting.

    Correct or incorrect?
    How would you transfer it into the new tire?
    Don't you stand to have it run out?
    (Unless you are VERY careful about how the tire is handled?)

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Gone; not forgotten!)

  19. #19
    Very Active Member wyliec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    5,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How would you transfer it into the new tire?
    Don't you stand to have it run out?
    (Unless you are VERY careful about how the tire is handled?)
    The few times I had my tires changed, I purchased new RideOn. After the tire sits, and I don't know the exact time, the RideOn puddles at the bottom of the tire. I guess if you want to save money, you could scoop it out and reuse. Then again, when you put the tire on the machine to install on the rim, some may come out.

    I'm sure Lamont's balancer is better. It was just an alternative I mentioned after someone else did.

  20. #20
    Very Active Member PMK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    SoFlo
    Posts
    1,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How would you transfer it into the new tire?
    Don't you stand to have it run out?
    (Unless you are VERY careful about how the tire is handled?)
    I don't want to dillute the Centramatic topic, but I did not have issue when I changed Rafaels tire. Rafael wore out Kenda rear #1. I installed my worn, but still with some life left oem Kenda onto his RTS. To balance it with use a bottle of Ride On. When I installed Rafaels Yokohama, I noticed the Ride On was gelled in the cool tire. Nothing ran or drained or leaked from inside the tire. Had I thought of it, I could easily have scraped it out of the old tire and placed it into the new Yokohama, saving him the cost of a bottle of Ride On. Assuming it can be done.

  21. #21
    Active Member papanorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    central texas
    Posts
    169

    Default

    I remember reading that Ride On doesn't recommend reusing their product out of an old tyre


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Very Active Member jcthorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    3,700

    Default

    Final version Centramatic balancers installed!

    20170321_173510.jpg

    Blue Flame Spyder F3-S.

  23. #23
    Very Active Member bmccaffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    rome new york
    Posts
    1,887

    Default

    YIKES

    THE GLASS HALF FULL OR HALF EMPTY

  24. #24
    SpyderLovers Founder Lamonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    15,601

    Default

    Joan and I rode over 400 miles yesterday and the ride was smooth as glass. Remember I went from thinking my fender mounts were going to break to this. I'm very pleased with the results.

    We good stock now too if you've been waiting

  25. #25
    Eponymous Member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Grahamsville, NY
    Posts
    81,893

    Default

    Hi Lamont!
    The front ones look pretty easy to install.
    If the rear one hides behind the disc; I'm guessing that it's a chore best undertaken during a tire change?

    2010 RT A&C ................................. 2014 RT Limited.
    (Gone; not forgotten!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •