Thread: 2012 RSS Help

Spyder Garage

Unhappy 2012 RSS Help

Last year the wife was having trouble shifting into gears and got an error check transmission scroll. Sent it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission switch housing module. I think that's what it is called. Well since then it's been running fine until today. When you start it, it won't go into neutral and it idles rough. It won't go into reverse or second gear. The dealer isn't open until Tuesday. I thinks it's the rubber boots from the throttle body. What are your thoughts?

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 RSS did the same thing about 3 months ago. Sometimes after about 15-20 minutes it would be fine.
    Mine ended up being the transmission cylinoids (there are 3). It is not a cheap or easy fix. Fortunately the dealer worked with me and gave me a pretty good deal. Even though the buds software showed it to be the shift cylinoids, they tried changing the filters first (they needed it anyway), but unfortunately, that wasn't the issue. Cylinoid replacement cost was between $700 & $800 bucks.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Was that $700-$800 each or for all three? The B.E.S.T warranty ends this June.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

Start with the oil level and condition. On the SE models especially and the V-twins do use oil so you need to check it often if you have not done it already. The gear positioning sensor was what they probably changed the last time. On the manual it usually is the fluid level in the master cylinder that gives you this kind of problem....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myersd802003 View Post
    Was that $700-$800 each or for all three? The B.E.S.T warranty ends this June.
    The price for all 3 was approx. $700. Installation and testing took about 4-5 hours, but they only charged me for 1 1/2 hours. As stated above, check the oil level first, and pray that is the issue. But, mine had the same symptoms as yours. Good Luck.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Dealership just picked up the wife's Spyder this afternoon. I will let you guys know what the verdict is when I get it. Told the service manager that I think it might be the throttle body boots due to the bogging or shifting solenoids. He said he just had to replace some on a different Spyder. So, that's it for now.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Spyder Garage

I got the Spyder back on Friday. They said the bolt from the arm to the transmission had fallen out. They replaced the bolt and put locktite on it and now switches gears. Simple fix, but it could have been anything.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myersd802003 View Post
    I got the Spyder back on Friday. They said the bolt from the arm to the transmission had fallen out. They replaced the bolt and put locktite on it and now switches gears. Simple fix, but it could have been anything.
    I am really happy for you. That was one of those best case deals. Hopefully you will have no more problems. I must say, I am loving mine more every time I ride it. Going to get a laser alignment on Tuesday, and then an oil change. Then I will be ready for riding season.