Thread: speedomoter

Spyder Garage

Default speedomoter

I was told that the lines on my speedometer when I start it up means that's the unit is going bad? Does anyone know if that is true or something that the salesman made u to get me to buy new one. Also another question my back wheel bearings seized up at 58,000 miles. the service manger said theta there is no way to grease them cause they are encased in hard plastic. I keep the bike serviced & hope the mechanics are doing things they are suppose to do just feel like the bike breaks down a lot. I bought the bike new 5 yrs. ago. I have a 2012 RTSE I bought it to ride & have fun which I do ride it a lot with 58,000 miles on it but likes the garages better. Am I the only one with having it break down & in the shop a lot?? Want to trade but want to know these answers before I do. Thanks

Spyder Garage

the wheel bearings are sealed and not relubeable. 58000 is problely about right. things do ware out the speedo may be a bad ground. I think the manuel says to change bearings at 10000 miles
    Last edited by Gary; 03-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Do the lines go away once the motor starts? A couple years ago I ran my battery low while using the radio with the motor off. I saw those lines myself due to the low voltage. Went away once I got it charged. In your case, I'm wondering if you're still on the original battery and you're getting the lines for the same reason. If it is the original battery, it's time for a change anyway. But I would rule out a voltage related cause first, i.e. battery, connections, etc. before I replaced the unit.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely get a new battery if that is your original, you're living on borrowed time.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default whell bearings

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    the wheel bearings are sealed and not relubeable. 58000 is problely about right. things do ware out the speedo may be a bad ground. I think the manuel says to change bearings at 10000 miles
    OK thanks for the info. Now I am wondering when I take it in for service at different mileage they never rpelace them. Now how do I check the ground for the speedo not original battery

Spyder Garage

Default speedometer

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Do the lines go away once the motor starts? A couple years ago I ran my battery low while using the radio with the motor off. I saw those lines myself due to the low voltage. Went away once I got it charged. In your case, I'm wondering if you're still on the original battery and you're getting the lines for the same reason. If it is the original battery, it's time for a change anyway. But I would rule out a voltage related cause first, i.e. battery, connections, etc. before I replaced the unit.
    Yes lines go away after it starts. No not on original battery. Will have hubby check connections. Don't want to replace unit not a $900.00 & then labor Thanks !! So what I am learning is maybe this salesman is telling me this to "scare" me into trading!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shoppersal View Post
    Yes lines go away after it starts. No not on original battery. Will have hubby check connections. Don't want to replace unit not a $900.00 & then labor Thanks !! So what I am learning is maybe this salesman is telling me this to "scare" me into trading!
    Well, you start the motor and the charging system raises the battery voltage to normal and the lines go away. A pretty good confirmation of what the problem is then. So, your salesman may be trying to scare you, or just may be a low information kinda guy. Back to the bike - if you're not using a battery tender over the winter in beautiful Geneva NY, using one will help keep your battery topped off. If you are, then put your battery on a good charger for a day or two. It's an AGM battery, so a charger with an AGM mode and a desulfation mode will perk that right up. As mentioned, the battery terminals WILL vibrate loose over the course of a season or two. Take Mike's advice and put some star washers on those connections. And you've also got that ground connection under the seat to check. Remember that there is a nut on the back side of that so you need to get a wrench behind there, otherwise it will just spin. Good luck and be safe.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-20-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238