Spyder Garage

Default Cheap Riser Idea

If you can find 4 matching 1-2 inch risers that would normally bolt to a standard M/C top clamp in 7/8" bar size, used of course. You can use a threaded stud to bolt them together then weld at joint, paint flat black or what ever, clamp one end to Spyder bar after removing the switch housings, saw off excess old 7/8 bar, that piece may not be long enough so we need a 7/8 donor handle bar to cut a straight end long enough to mount switch housings, grips and throttle. Mount in top clamp, you can make them any length using different length risers. I will prolly give this a shot once I leave my winter home in AZ and get back to my shop in NC in about 2 weeks.
    2010 GS SE5 red and black
    1982 Honda GL650 (showroom condition)
    2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RISERS

Quote Originally Posted by hungryeye View Post
    If you can find 4 matching 1-2 inch risers that would normally bolt to a standard M/C top clamp in 7/8" bar size, used of course. You can use a threaded stud to bolt them together then weld at joint, paint flat black or what ever, clamp one end to Spyder bar after removing the switch housings, saw off excess old 7/8 bar, that piece may not be long enough so we need a 7/8 donor handle bar to cut a straight end long enough to mount switch housings, grips and throttle. Mount in top clamp, you can make them any length using different length risers. I will prolly give this a shot once I leave my winter home in AZ and get back to my shop in NC in about 2 weeks.
    OR ......you can buy real ones from Denniskirk.com ..... in the snowmobile catalog ..... " RSI " brand come in sizes from 2" to 10 inches ( but just get the 4 in size ). For the new handlebar I bought a 2 ft piece of heavy duty 3/4 copper pipe from Home Depot and this worked fine. Under no circumstances that I could think of would you need SOLID METAL for the handlebars........ remember to cut all the cable ties under the Tupperware, and you will have plenty of cable - I've done Two risers this way ......Mike

Spyder Garage

I did find the snow risers on ebay they are 80 bucks which is much better than $200 and up. I never mentioned using a solid pipe, I have plenty of old 7/8 bars in my shop to cut the ends off. It looks like I can do the double ended riser thing for under $50. If I find used parts it could be as low as $20. I know this sounds cheap but thats because I am . If it looks like poop I would scrap them, spend the 80 bucks on ebay and end up spending more that I wanted and being annoyed with myself. When I buy gas for $2.10 a gallon and find a place a block away it $2.09 I become suicidal.

Spyder Garage

Hi hungryeye,

Re: need a 7/8 donor handle bar

I'm thinking this will be the critical part(s). My, 3rd party purchased, risers had the replacement bar(s) machined with slots, etc, to accept the various controllers that are mounted on the factory handle bars.

My Spyder is an '08; I do not know much about later years.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

This is what I used on my wife and mine. Worked very well. If you have the manual shift I had to grind part of it where the clutch master cylinder is.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1970s-DO...NUgK8g&vxp=mtr
    regards, David

Spyder Garage

Hey Hungryeye,

When did you pick up a Spyder?

Brian

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where are you located in NC? I am in the Apex area and would be interested in checking this out.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default RISER ----BINGO

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    This is what I used on my wife and mine. Worked very well. If you have the manual shift I had to grind part of it where the clutch master cylinder is.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1970s-DO...NUgK8g&vxp=mtr
    regards, David
    WOW - great find ....they no longer make this brand of Riser ..... This is the First one I bought back in 09 ...... If you get this one , put the double bolt end down ..... and the smooth curve towards the RESEVOIR ...... you can grind a little bit off with an Angle grinder and it will still look great ..... .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default DENNIS KIRK PART NUMBER

I did find the snow risers on ebay they are 80 bucks which is much better than $200 and up. I never mentioned using a solid pipe, I have plenty of old 7/8 bars in my shop to cut the ends off. It looks like I can do the double ended riser thing for under $50. If I find used parts it could be as low as $20. I know this sounds cheap but thats because I am . If it looks like poop I would scrap them, spend the 80 bucks on ebay and end up spending more that I wanted and being annoyed with myself. When I buy gas for $2.10 a gallon and find a place a block away it $2.09 I become suicidal.
    # 595895 ....... 4 inch $69.00 per pair .... I don't know what you found on E-bay !!!!!!!! ........... I'm sorry I mentioned the solid pipe thing ........... I just assumed you didn't have all the answers because .....you just asked a question .................. good luck............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    WOW - great find ....they no longer make this brand of Riser ..... This is the First one I bought back in 09 ...... If you get this one , put the double bolt end down ..... and the smooth curve towards the RESEVOIR ...... you can grind a little bit off with an Angle grinder and it will still look great ..... .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Hey Hungryeye,

When did you pick up a Spyder?

Brian
    Hey Brian, I thought I might run into you here. I got it 3 weeks or so ago, you may have read my comments about my nerve damage in my spine, pulling a clutch & brake is not easy anymore, I'm getting clumsy in busy parking lots on the Valk, I was going to sell it but now I think I will keep for long joy rides and use the Spyder for local errands, much safer. The 2 wheeler is much more controllable at high speed, I feel it is a lot of work to ride the Spyder at high speed. I'll be bringing it back to NC next week, I'll get it dialed in for comfort and control, I don't have a shop in AZ.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Where are you located in NC? I am in the Apex area and would be interested in checking this out.
    I am in the Climax area not far off the 421 hywy, I ride the 64 hywy a lot between Asheboro and Apex. I live in AZ for the winter, I'll be back in NC around 3/30/17. I don't know when I will get around to doing this, I'll prolly just go the snowmobile riser route. We should meet for coffee or moonshine in Siler City one day?