Spyder Garage

Default Tried to buy....

A dealer in the Los Angeles area is offering SE5s for $15.9 - I tried to buy one, but was told I had to pay CA sales tax AND buy a stupid trip permit to ride it home!! Neither are required here (no sales tax at all ). Is this true everywhere outside of Oregon, or just an attempt to block out of state sales??

The sales tax alone pushed the price above MSRP (forget about discounts)...

Spyder Garage

Default taxation without representation

Use to be you got a choice:
    pay the tax in the selling state and pay any additional taxes in the state that you put the plate on...
    or just pay or not pay in the state you register it in.

Bought a car in Michigan, plated it in Florida (no taxes at that time 1977)-no tax
    Bought a truck (07) and a motorcycle(2000) in Michigan, paid the 6% in Michigan and when I plated them, paid the extra 1/2% in Ohio
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    A dealer in the Los Angeles area is offering SE5s for $15.9 - I tried to buy one, but was told I had to pay CA sales tax AND buy a stupid trip permit to ride it home!! Neither are required here (no sales tax at all ). Is this true everywhere outside of Oregon, or just an attempt to block out of state sales??

ah everyone would have to pay CA sales tax just like if you went and bought in seattle you would have to pay wa sales tax. I do not know what that trip permit is about. I would buy locally at SK Northwest.

Spyder Garage

Not sure about any riding permit, but why would you think you don't have to pay sales tax?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

All the states around here you have the option to pay that states sales tax or pay the exact cost offered and pay local sales tax. Not sure why you would have to pay the CA tax when you live in another state normally you just pay your residing states sales tax. Sounds like the dealer or the peoples republic of CA want to make more money off you.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

When I purchased a car outside CA, the rule was you paid the other state's sales tax but, if it was lower than CA, you owed CA the difference. CA is about to raise their sales tax to 8 1/4 percent so you may not want to wait if you buy it there. And watch out for county sales tax. By the time you're finished, you could be paying over 10%. Sort of negates the good deal from the dealer
    Last edited by irish2themax; 04-16-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Oregon has NO sales tax. On anything. License fees are $60 for three years, and you have 90 days to get a license.... guess I'm just spoiled. SK wants MSRP - period, just like the old Hardley days..

Spyder Garage

Hence why Californians go to Oregon to buy big ticket items. I know I'm just loving this 9.5% sales tax. NOT!
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

I fell into a similar situation. I live in AZ, bought in CA. You are stuck paying CA sales tax... but if you don't ride it on CA highways, you do not have to pay CA registration. I trailered mine back to Tucson. I had to pay Az registration when I got home, but better than paying twice.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have bought 3 motorcycles outside of Georgia. 2 in NC and 1 in Tenn. In all 3 cases when I bought the bikes I paid NO sales tax or registration fees. Was given a temporary tag to get them home. When I went to register them in Ga, I had to pay my registration fees and the sales tax due in my county, which is lower than most counties in Metro Atlanta.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

One other option to consider... if you have the Spyder delivered to you in Oregon, you do not have to pay CA sales tax or registration. However, the transport must be done by a licensed commercial carrier (can't do it yourself, or by your brother in law). I checked this out, but it didn't work for me since AZ tax was almost identical, and I was already avoiding CA registration by trailering it home. If Oregan has no sales tax, you might look into it. Could save you $500, even if it cost $500 to ship it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are dealers charging for the Spyder in Oregon? I was think coming up to OR to buy since my Godfather lives there

Spyder Garage

Default My experience - and a recommendation.

I shopped around all over the country for a good deal on my SE5.
    In all the cases (MI, IL, NC, TN, TX, AZ, CO, MO, OH, UT, WY), I would bring the Spyder back home and pay the New Mexico sales tax title & registration. In NM, you have 30 days to do this. The dealerships I talked to had other documentation fees and prep costs and etc. that varied wildly. I talked to a couple of dealers in CA and we never got close enough to a number to discuss how sales tax would work.

I ended up getting mine in Arizona - the best deal and it turned out to be a great dealer experience. You might consider looking at the Spyder dealerships around Lake Havasu, it is just over the border from California and not far from Las Vegas. ( and only 550 miles from me )

I know many have ridden their Spyders 100s of miles out of the dealerships and I was going to. My salesman, was great and very nicely, with great diplomacy, recommended that I not ride it home. I have been riding motorcycles since the mid-60s and was really up for the ride home - and besides, "EVERYBODY else is doing it!!!"

Well life happens and Spyders are NOT motorcycles. In a moment of rare humility, I took my salesman's advice, rented a great tilt load flatbed trailer, drove out and bought it and chauffeured it home. I am so glad I did. Temperatures in the single digits, expressways closed for hours by accidents, high winds, 4 inches of snow in places and no vacancies anywhere. And there was more; it also turned out I had to be back home ASAP, so I drove the whole 1,100 miles in just under 24 hours. The 5 hours of expressway closures really killed me.

Now that I have put 600 miles on the Spyder in the few weeks I have had it, I realize that ( for me ) the trailer was the best option. Given my experience on bikes, the Spyder is different and I highly recommend some practice - or at least a lot of leisurely time for the long drive out of the dealership.

Despite all the problems, it was a great experience, but I would not have wanted to do it on a new Spyder I was breaking in. It was cheaper than having it shipped, but I love driving anyway - especially here in the Southwest.

Best of luck and joy in whatever you decide to do. Also, try not to personally bail California out of its financial problems. They will come looking for you next year when they find themselves in the same hole.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There is no one size fit's all rule regarding sales and use tax, you need to check each state's rules independently (don't trust the salesman or a private party, call the DMV in that state to confirm their requirements).

In Florida motor vehicle dealers are required to collect sales tax on all vehicles sold UNLESS they are shipped by a licensed common carrier out of state or sold to another licensed dealer.

We do have one thing that's decent, if you buy out of state and must pay sales tax there, Florida only charges you the difference between what you paid and what you would have paid in FL when you get it home. For example, I buy a bike in a state with 5% sales tax and pay the tax at the dealership. When I get to FL and go to the DMV to register it I only owe them another 1% to get to the 6% FL tax rate. I have heard of some states not honnoring the taxes paid to another state. If you are buying something in FL and taking it back to a state that doesn't honor the tax you must pay here when you buy from a dealer you WILL be double taxed.
    Last edited by mjw930; 04-17-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

People whine about taxes then turn around and vote for Democrats. Stupid.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oregon has NO sales tax. On anything. License fees are $60 for three years, and you have 90 days to get a license.... guess I'm just spoiled. SK wants MSRP - period, just like the old Hardley days..
    Screw SK, talk to Micky (as in Mouse) down at Cycle Sports. He won't get you the $15.9k deal but if you go down there in person to talk to him and show him that you are serious about getting an SE5 from them, I'm positive he'll work out some kind of deal (like around $200 off of MSRP) if you get the extended warranty (which he might also give you a discount on, say $1000 - or lower - instead of $1300) and possibly (if you are nice and more than willing to get one with in a short period of time or by having the 'check' in hand) he may waive the delivery and prep fee's (around $400 total) too.

Don't ask me how I know though....