Spyder Garage

Default Differences in 2015 vs. 2016 vs. 2017 Spyder F3-S?

I am still in the early stages on determining if I am going to get a Can-Am Spyder. I originally was strongly leaning toward an RT-S. But when I finally sat on one, I did not at all like the fact that it was so large and that I was sitting so high. It seemed more like an ATV than a motorcycle.

So, after reading more reviews, I am now leaning toward an F3-S, F3-T, or F3 Limited, as you sit in these rather than on these. The F3-S seems like the best choice for me. I realize that I do need to go and take a test ride. But I was wondering if there were major differences between the three model years that are available - 2015, 2016, and 2017. Does anyone know what differences there are in these model years? I have read posts about idler wheel pulley problems, cracked frame problems, and others, and I was wondering if these were addressed in the later models. If so, it might be more economical to buy a 2016 F3-S instead of a 2015 if I had to make a bunch of modifications on the 2015 that were addressed by BRP in the 2016 model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Wayne

Spyder Garage

Pretty much nothing in technology. New colors every year. The only way you are going to get a good idea is to go and do some test driving. Then you will know what suits YOU best.

Known problems on earlier models should have the fix in already. Double check with dealer to get history of the VIN.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The only issue with the 2015 was some frame cracking issues. This was fixed with a frame brace that bolts in. When I got my 2015 brand new from a dealer they had not done it. They sent me the parts and I did it myself. 2016 and later models have this part welded in place I believe.
    But they still ship them with the same crappy rear shock... all years I believe. The shock bounces up and down and causes fatigue on the frame. I replace my rear with the BRP 2-up shock which was $160. This would be an issue with a 16 or 17 as well. I couldn't spring (pun intended) on an Elka which is like $1100.
    I'm thrilled with my 2015 F3 that I picked up this past fall.
    The only real difference between the F3 and the 'S' model is the fenders are different and the 'S' comes with cruise. The cruise can be added to an F3 for $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 17 models get the extra hooligan button, sorry, sport mode. Husband has it on his 17 Daytona, not something he uses... Very happy with my 15.

ps I really can't believe brp don't provide the two up shock as standard ... The one they fit is clearly sub-standard, even one-up.
    Last edited by loisk; 04-06-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    The 17 models get the extra hooligan button, sorry, sport mode. Husband has it on his 17 Daytona, not something he uses... Very happy with my 15.

ps I really can't believe brp don't provide the two up shock as standard ... The one they fit is clearly sub-standard, even one-up.

I
    have no trouble being a hooligan on my 15. Have the black circles in a Harley parking lot to prove it....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

One difference is the 2015s all have a lifetime frame warranty.

There are more differences between an F3 and an F3-s than the fenders and cruise. They vary from year to year. Some colors and frames are only available in one or the other for instance. Transmission cover, instrument cluster support, seat upholstery and I am likely forgetting others.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    One difference is the 2015s all have a lifetime frame warranty.

There are more differences between an F3 and an F3-s than the fenders and cruise. They vary from year to year. Some colors and frames are only available in one or the other for instance. Transmission cover, instrument cluster support, seat upholstery and I am likely forgetting others.
    Fenders and cruise are the most noticeable.... the rest is cosmetic. I don't believe there are any differences in mechanicals other than the cruise... and the new 17's have the 'sport' mode.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!