Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Can a USB port be added to the 2014 RTS? I assume the radios are the same, just some different wiring trickery.
    Nope.
    Its actually an updated radio and different wiring harness. For older Spyders, the ipod is the best option.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Sorry,
    but wrong information. The OP has a 2016 with USB ports, not the old apple connector. A standard flash drive loaded with MP3 files works great on 2016 and newer RT and F3 models that have factory radios.
    I'm also playing flac files on my 2016 RTS. Not sure what other files it will play but it's in the owner's manual. Has to be formatted FAT32 to work properly. I got burned with that.

Just be careful to keep your eyes on the road. I've been thinking about just setting up a music line up before I go on a ride & just let it play without touching the buttons.
    Last edited by SteveLaoyster; 03-20-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: FAT32 comment
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nope.
    Its actually an updated radio and different wiring harness. For older Spyders, the ipod is the best option.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Nope.
    I have been thinking about this. The iPod talks over a USB protocol and physical 2 USB data lines. So the top level protocol is USB. The same cable you use for a iPod to PC is a USB cable and protocol. Its all the Ipod knows and talks. The "protocol layer" underneath the base USB protocol is what is proprietary to Apple which allows the advanced control of an Ipod vs a MP3 player connected via USB. But again the top level protocol is USB spec.

This is why on new iPhones the Lightning connector adapter works. It's USB. Older spyders (mid 2012 and below) had a black box in the Ipod cable for voltage regulation nothing more. The 2 data lines are still USB protocol.

So I doubt the wiring is different on new Spyders. All they did was replace the 30 pin Ipod connector with a USB plug which is why you can still plug in an iPod to the new spyders USB plug.
    So more likely it's software in the radio that will recognize a flash drive vs an Ipod hooked up to the 2 USB data lines. e.g. like a "driver" on a PC when you plug something in via USB.
    It would be interesting to see what happens if you make a cable with a female USB plug and see what the older radios do when a flash drive is plugged in. It certainly won't fry anything trying it.

I may try this myself sometime

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-21-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

FYI the plug in the trunk has the following wires

+5
    Ground
    USB + (data positive)
    USB - (data negative)
    The 4 above are used for an Ipod / iPhone connection.

Audio ground
    Audio in left channel
    Audio in right channel.
    These 3 are used for a MP3 player 3.5mm audio.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-21-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

And here is an easy way to find out!

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Iphone-...WXV85EGW3S3FS3

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

USB is USB

Question is, do the old radios have the "driver" or software to recognize the flash drive!

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

So I am doing more research here.

1) Know what the 30 pin Ipod connector has for connections. And it has a lot of stuff that the new lightening connector does not have.
    Spec are here:
    http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

2) Understand what was eliminated from the 30 pin connector to the new lightening connector.
    Specs are here and a KEY PHRASE:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)

"The Lightning to 30-pin adapter supports only a limited subset of the available 30-pin signals: USB data, USB charging, and analog audio output (via the DAC inside of the adapter[8])."
    _________

So based on this, the interface to the radio from an Ipod with a lightening connector adapter IS in fact talking USB. Not serial (rs232) like the old 30 pin connector was also capable of (it also had USB). I was worried that maybe the older Spyders radio use Serial (RS232) to talk. Turns out RS232 was removed as a capability with the lightening connector. So it has to be using USB for control since we can use an adapter!

One question remains though an I will have to ohm out the Ipod cable on the spyder to find out.
    Is the actual Audio from the Ipod coming through the USB digitally? Or via the analog audio lines on the Ipod connector.
    The Ipod lightening connector supports both as did the 30 pin.

The reason I need to know this?
    If it is using the analog audio lines, then connecting a USB flash drive to the USB wires on older Spyders will not work. USB flash drives do not have analog audio out! USB flash drives feed digital audio over the USB data lines and the radio then converts that to analog via a DAC (Digital Audio Converter). So new radios might have this and old radios may not.
    If the Ipod is not using the analog audio lines and is sending digital audio over USB, then it may be that a USB flash drive can be used IF the radio has the "driver" to see it and support it.

Stay tuned... This should be fun

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob any new word on this?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Bob any new word on this?
    No sorry.... have not gotten around to ordering anything.
    Was hoping I would spot one in a store somewhere rather than order it.

Not in a rush to be honest.... But if I do, I will let everyone know.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black