Spyder Garage

Default Mac mini and Thunderbolt 2 question...

I've done research on Thunderbolt 2, and I'm still confused. Before I ask the questions, anyone with a MAC mini, as I just purchased one.

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry...🤔

I don't do apple....and the wife is out of town...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have 2 Mac Mini's what do you want to know? email me at motorcycledave@mac.com or call 209-887-3283
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I've done research on Thunderbolt 2, and I'm still confused. Before I ask the questions, anyone with a MAC mini, as I just purchased one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have 2 Mac Mini's what do you want to know? email me at motorcycledave@mac.com or call 209-887-3283
    Dave
    Sent e-mail. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Also a Mac Guy

Sent e-mail. Thanks
    Shout anytime with questions.

Spyder Garage

I have 3 of them,not sure if the newer one hasT hunderbolt2 or not as i am using only
    the USB ports. What do you need to know?
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

I'll be connecting the mac mini to a monitor. The monitor has an HDMI connection, as does the Mac mini. Would it be of any benefit to purchase a Thunderbolt 2 to HDMI adapter, and connect the monitor to Thunderbolt on the mac mini? I'm kind of fuzzy on the Thunderbolt connection, other than it's faster than USB 3.0, and HDMI.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For a standard monitor, even a 4K monitor, use the HDMI. For video, the issue isn't so much about bus speed, it's about bandwidth. That port has duel functionality - Mini DisplayPort when used for video, and Thunderbolt when used for data. So those adapters only utilize the Mini DisplayPort functionality of that port for video anyway, not the Thunderbolt data function. Same port, two functions, apples and oranges. The HDMI port is more than adequate and is designed for high definition audio and video. Don't over think it. Instead, save the Thunderbolt 2 port for one of these and use it for connecting peripherals. You'll be able to connect anything under the sun then.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thun...derbolt2-Dock/
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 03-15-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Thunderbolt connections should be thought of more as a chaining feature rather than a digital link. As an example, I have an Elgato box with both Thunderbolt and USB connections, as well as video and audio. When I plug my laptop into it, it connects it to my Apple video display, and any phones or my iPad automatically connect.

Unless you buy other Thunderbolt peripherals, use HDMI for connections.

Spyder Garage

Yup, what the last two posters said. In reality, without Thunderbolt peripherals, it's really just a DisplayPort connection. HDMI is best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    The Thunderbolt connections should be thought of more as a chaining feature rather than a digital link. As an example, I have an Elgato box with both Thunderbolt and USB connections, as well as video and audio. When I plug my laptop into it, it connects it to my Apple video display, and any phones or my iPad automatically connect.

Unless you buy other Thunderbolt peripherals, use HDMI for connections.