Thread: HELMET FITTING

Spyder Garage

Default HELMET FITTING

I have a BELL "Pit Boss" helmet that fits a little tight around the temples causing headaches after about an hour riding. I really like the helmet. My Sena fits great in it and I'd hate to have to get another one. Loosening the adjuster in back doesn't help and a bigger size would be way too big for proper protection. Is there a way I can shave a bit off the temple area on both sides? Has anyone done anything like this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 40Xshooter View Post
    I have a BELL "Pit Boss" helmet that fits a little tight around the temples causing headaches after about an hour riding. I really like the helmet. My Sena fits great in it and I'd hate to have to get another one. Loosening the adjuster in back doesn't help and a bigger size would be way too big for proper protection. Is there a way I can shave a bit off the temple area on both sides? Has anyone done anything like this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
    I'm interested in this too, as I have had the same experience. I really like the looks and functionality of the Pit Bull, but I haven't purchased one due to the fit.

Spyder Garage

I don't know about shaving off the foam liner, but I know you can compress it a little. You don't want to compress it where it makes your helmet too loose, but if you do it a bit at a time you can get a perfect fit. You can use a hammer to 'tap' the foam in the area that is uncomfortable, or use a pair of channel locks to squeeze the area (pad the pliers so you don't scratch your helmet) I'm sure there are going to be a good many that will say this is unsafe, or will ruin your helmet, and of course it is your choice. I have done a couple of helmets like this and it has made my helmet wear much better. I Hate the thought of tossing a couple of hundred dollar helmet away because it gives me a headache after a couple of hours on the road. Good luck in what ever you do.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought 2 of these same helmets last summer when we were in South Carolina. mine gives me a headache after about an hour also. the wife's causes her to hurt just in front of her ears just below her temples. Ours sit on the shelf. We wear our HJC's.

Spyder Garage

I have a Bell Revolver Evo helmet size XL that also gave me a headache after about an hour. I contacted Bell and they suggested that I replace the liner with an XXL. Really easy to do, as the liner snaps out and the new one snaps right in. Took me less than 10 minutes to change. This might be a solution for you guys. You can call BRG Sports Customer Service @ 800-776-5677. I would bet that they have liners for their other helmets as well.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Go in the kitchen

and get a large spoon from the drawer. Use the spoon to apply pressure to the foam in the helmet. This will compress it a bit and is better than trying to trim or pound on it. Take your time and do it bit by bit. Not every helmet fits all head shapes well. I love my HJC's, but I can't get a Nolan helmet to fit me at all.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have a Bell Revolver Evo helmet size XL that also gave me a headache after about an hour. I contacted Bell and they suggested that I replace the liner with an XXL. Really easy to do, as the liner snaps out and the new one snaps right in. Took me less than 10 minutes to change. This might be a solution for you guys. You can call BRG Sports Customer Service @ 800-776-5677. I would bet that they have liners for their other helmets as well.
    Just got off the phone with BRG. I was told that the liner of the Pit Boss CAN"T be replaced. They offered no other solution. They also informed me that ANY modifications I elect to do to the helmet would void the warranty. (I kinda figured that) Soooo, I like the "SPOON" idea! I'm not about to trash a perfectly good (new) helmet because it gives me headaches!

WE'LL SPOON TIL IT FITS!

Bill

Spyder Garage

Just got off the phone with BRG. I was told that the liner of the Pit Boss CAN"T be replaced. They offered no other solution. They also informed me that ANY modifications I elect to do to the helmet would void the warranty. (I kinda figured that) Soooo, I like the "SPOON" idea! I'm not about to trash a perfectly good (new) helmet because it gives me headaches!

WE'LL SPOON TIL IT FITS!

Bill
    That is interesting that they are implying that replacing the helmet liner would void the warranty. When I contacted them, it was their suggestion that I do so. Guess the lawyers got involved.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    That is interesting that they are implying that replacing the helmet liner would void the warranty. When I contacted them, it was their suggestion that I do so. Guess the lawyers got involved.
    He didn't say that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    He didn't say that.
    Ha, I was just about to say that!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    and get a large spoon from the drawer. Use the spoon to apply pressure to the foam in the helmet. This will compress it a bit and is better than trying to trim or pound on it. Take your time and do it bit by bit. Not every helmet fits all head shapes well. I love my HJC's, but I can't get a Nolan helmet to fit me at all.
    I've had to compress the foam liner in 2 Shoei helmets so far. Both gave me the same headache after an hour of ryding. I took a 13/16" deep socket and rolled it inside the forehead area until the foam was compressed enough to eliminate the headache, about 1/8"
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Done the same thing myself on one helmet.

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS!

You guys are TERRIFIC with your solutions! The "socket Solution" sounds good, too!!

Spyder Garage

The basic problem is that the helmet does not fit. It is likely that your head is rounder than the helmet is designed to fit. There is more to head size alone that goes into a well fitting helmet. But, unfortunately, this is common and not always easily corrected.

If you are tight on the sides and roomy front to back, then the helmet you have is too narrow for your head (or you can look at it as your head being too round for the helmet). The opposite is true if you get too much pressure on your forehead but your helmet will move left and right on your head due to too much room side to side.

Web Bike World has a great rundown on helmet head shapes. (admittedly, mostly full face and Flip-Up helmets). If you have a helmet that is giving you grief somewhere on your head you can probably find it on their list and then look for a helmet brand/model that will better accommodate your head shape.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Crushing the styrofoam will reduce the amount of protection your helmet can afford to you. But frankly, Shorty helmets don't give you much protection anyway. I'd go with the spoon!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-14-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    The basic problem is that the helmet does not fit. It is likely that your head is rounder than the helmet is designed to fit. There is more to head size alone that goes into a well fitting helmet. But, unfortunately, this is common and not always easily corrected.

If you are tight on the sides and roomy front to back, then the helmet you have is too narrow for your head (or you can look at it as your head being too round for the helmet). The opposite is true if you get too much pressure on your forehead but your helmet will move left and right on your head due to too much room side to side.

Crushing the styrofoam will reduce the amount of protection your helmet can afford to you. But frankly, Shorty helmets don't give you much protection anyway. I'd go with the spoon!
    Thanks Ron. I'm sure you're right. I kinda figured that when BRG told me I'd void the warranty if I messed with anything. However, without getting into a discussion on to wear or not to wear helmets, I was never a "helmet guy" anyway. I just started wearing one when the wife is with me-for communications-Sena-stuff like that. I will use either the "Big Spoon From the Kitchen" or the "Big Socket From the Garage" method (or both) to get the thing to fit comfortably. I still think this is GREAT to have discussions like this. The information here is golden!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron. I'm sure you're right. I kinda figured that when BRG told me I'd void the warranty if I messed with anything. However, without getting into a discussion on to wear or not to wear helmets, I was never a "helmet guy" anyway. I just started wearing one when the wife is with me-for communications-Sena-stuff like that. I will use either the "Big Spoon From the Kitchen" or the "Big Socket From the Garage" method (or both) to get the thing to fit comfortably. I still think this is GREAT to have discussions like this. The information here is golden!
    Everyone has to decide what is best for them. 33 years in the fire service talked me into a proper fitting, full face helmet. It's all in what you're looking for.

Not sure how much a warranty is going to do for you on that helmet anyway. Not really much to go wrong. And you don't have to tell them that you altered the Styrofoam. Besides. what has that got to do with a buckle or snap coming loose (very unlikely in any event).

A helmet that makes your head hurt isn't worth wearing. I had to do just a bit of the forehead on an HJC I owned awhile back. It seemed to fit fine when I tried it on. But after an hour or so it was like wearing a bad fitting rock against my forehead. My weapon of choice was a spoon and it worked great.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I bought a new G-Max helmet a couple of years ago and had an issue with it hurting my forehead. It actually left a red mark. The helmet fit good other than that and the next size up was too big. I ended up removing the liner and with a dremel tool I cut away some of the Styrofoam from the forehead area. No more hurting or red marks. Wayne

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wrb3004 View Post
    I ended up removing the liner and with a dremel tool I cut away some of the Styrofoam from the forehead area. No more hurting or red marks. Wayne
    DREMEL TOOL! Never thought of that! I like it!

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet fit

Deflate a football or a soccer ball, put it in the helmet, inflate it and leave it for a couple of days, worked for me!!

Dave
    2011 Spyder RT Limited, drive daily (except when it's snowing)
    2012 Honda Fury VT1300
    1974 850 Norton Commando, drive daily, praying that it keeps running!
    2009 Goldwing GL1800 AD, traded in
    2009 Suzuki M109, (fast bike), traded in
    2011 Nissan Murano SL, S, ride to work

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DRTSB View Post
    Deflate a football or a soccer ball, put it in the helmet, inflate it and leave it for a couple of days, worked for me!!
    Dave
    Bryan