Spyder Garage

Default 2008 Spyder GS main drive belt out of alignment'

I recently purchased a 2008 Can Am Spyder GS with 7200 miles, I took it to our local Can Am dealer for a service and to give it a good going over before riding season I also had them to replace the rear tire. While doing the service they tell me the main drive belt is damaged and shows signs of rubbing so I had the belt replaced now they tell me the belt is not tracking properly. I have been reading posts here and I gather that these belts are almost indestructable, what could cause this. There is no sign of damage. Any body deal with this before. I rode the Can Am Spyder in 2008 at the Sturgis bike rally. I fell in love with the Spyder and it took me 8 years to get one. I can't wait to get it back and ride!!!!
    Thank you for any help I can get I need it.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Go back to the dealer

Ask them for the old belt, and keep it they are $$$$$ and you will have it for a spare.
    belts are easy to track I doubt you have a bad belt. it should run in the center of the
    drive it runs on a little left or right is no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodaddy18 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2008 Can Am Spyder GS with 7200 miles, I took it to our local Can Am dealer for a service and to give it a good going over before riding season I also had them to replace the rear tire. While doing the service they tell me the main drive belt is damaged and shows signs of rubbing so I had the belt replaced now they tell me the belt is not tracking properly. I have been reading posts here and I gather that these belts are almost indestructable, what could cause this. There is no sign of damage. Any body deal with this before. I rode the Can Am Spyder in 2008 at the Sturgis bike rally. I fell in love with the Spyder and it took me 8 years to get one. I can't wait to get it back and ride!!!!
    Thank you for any help I can get I need it.

Spyder Garage

IMO it is not tracking properly because they did not take the time to do it properly. It can be quite a time consuming job to get it tracking correctly.

I would keep the so called worn one as a spare as it probably has years of life left in it.

There are threads here that explain & show how to align the belt. It does take a bit of mechanical knowledge to do it & is not for the faint of heart.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

When tracking correct it will be away from the inner edge on the rear sprocket and you can see about the thickness of a hacksaw blade. Only check it after running it forward. Backing up will give you a false reading. Standing behind the bike if the belt is rubbing against the flange loosen the left side 1/8 and tighten the right 1/8 turn. Tighten the axle back up and ride and check it. Do this until you have about the thickness of a hacksaw gap between the flange and belt. Now if it is tracking to the outside do just opposite on the adjusting bolts. Only do 1/8 turn at a time and ride and check. I take a 8mm allen wrench and roll it in the belt and sprocket and this keeps it pulled tight while you tighten the axle back up.
    regards, David

Spyder Garage

Suspect here is that the dealer did not properly install the new belt. They did a lot of rear end stuff with changing the tire and the belt. Something could have gone wrong.

A new belt at 7,200 miles seems a bit on the low side. Rock damage is the only reason that should cause premature replacement of the belt. The belts should go 50K plus miles in "normal" use.

Hopefully you can get the original belt back from the dealer. The deed has been done (replacement), but if the OEM belt did not need replacing, you then have a spare if an when you need another.

Let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Not seeing the beld it is hard to tell but even a belt that is missaligned will not be damaged in 7200 miles. If they replaced it they should have aligned it or if it should be another reason (engine not centered properly) they should have corrected that or not replaced the belt and let you know. Try them again or if possible try another shop...actually most shops that do belt drive vehicles could do it for you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default ROCKS

hopefully you are now all fixed up and ready to ride....

i trashed a belt on my RS a few yrs back.... i ran over some gravel in the road, and some of the rocks got between the belt & sprocket... knocked the belt-teeth off a bit...
    as for the 'alignment'... i with the other guys here... the tech at your dealers must not know what he/she is doing... when the belt is properly set, you have have a 1/8inch gap between the belt and the flange of the read sprocket...
    these belts aren't cheap, make sure they at least SHOW YOU THE OLD BELT before you pay the $300 plus for the new one....
    jmho
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to say this... but I think that they had a belt to sell... and had you in the shop!
    And then: they couldn't get things lined up correctly!!
    Go get your old belt, and find yourself a new dealer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bike is still in the shop. I was told belt tracks fine when rolling forward, but comes out of alignment when moving backwards.

Spyder Garage

Default Normal behavior....!!!

Bike is still in the shop. I was told belt tracks fine when rolling forward, but comes out of alignment when moving backwards.
    As long as it stays inside the sprocket, it is normal. It will return it place when going forward....

Richard

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

You can't go by that. They should know that. It will track off while rolling backwards. As long as it tracks correct going forward.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Tech sounds a little 'New'

As has been said, they all go off track some in reverse, and, find home as soon as you're going forward again. Beside all that has been said, and considering you do not know the exact history of the bike, here's something you want to remember. Should it end up not tracking properly going forward. This would be my last concern, and likely the last thing to check but, the motor has an alignment tool, that must be used before tightening the motor mounts. Not trying to alarm you, or say that's the problem. It's simply worth knowing.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

This is normal. Any reputable mechanic in any reputable shop would know and understand this. If I were you, I'd find another shop!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    As long as it stays inside the sprocket, it is normal. It will return it place when going forward....

Richard
    That's just the nature of how these belts dance around on the sprockets...
    It's perfectly normal, and ANY dealer would know that!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black