Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better Seating?

Spyder Garage

For about 15+ years, I've used an Alaska Sheepskin seat cover, first on my BMW RT, now on my RT-S. It does OK for most rides. For a while, I experimented with a layer of bubble wrap under the sheepskin. Yep, it works, somewhat. Adds a few more hours of tolerance.

I looked into Ultimate seats. I see a big drawback in that they recommend a rain cover if riding in the rain or parked in the rain. It's bad enough that I have to do the roadside chicken dance to get into my rain suit; now I also have to fuss about putting on a seat cover?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    For about 15+ years, I've used an Alaska Sheepskin seat cover, first on my BMW RT, now on my RT-S. It does OK for most rides. For a while, I experimented with a layer of bubble wrap under the sheepskin. Yep, it works, somewhat. Adds a few more hours of tolerance.

I looked into Ultimate seats. I see a big drawback in that they recommend a rain cover if riding in the rain or parked in the rain. It's bad enough that I have to do the roadside chicken dance to get into my rain suit; now I also have to fuss about putting on a seat cover?

Thinking back to when I had my BMW K1200 packed full while on a trip and riding with the sheepskin when I got hit with a down pour and was soaked before I could find a safe place to stop. Not only was I soaked but now I am setting on a sponge and no where to put it out of the rain, that was the last time I used the Sheepskin.
    Almost any seat (if kept protected) will hold out water for a while and it is easier to put on a cover.
    My last 3 seat (RDL's) were leather and never had a problem riding in the rain But when parked for the night they were covered.
    I find rolling up the seat rain cover and storing it between the back of the seat and the trunk is easier that trying to find a place to hide the sheepskin.
    PS
    I had to laugh about the Bubble wrap, I too had tried that and as you said it added a extra hour or so to the comfort
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Default comfort seat

here are my suggestions. get rid of all those pegs and get floorboards.I have a rts and a sts they came with floorboards and I love them. hated the ultimate seat,did nothing for me, but then I'm 6'1" brp comfort seat triax handle bars 30 dollar gelseat from cycle gear and I put on 470 miles in one day with no backrest, no problems.
    Paul

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=amelectricdavid;1234528]I just use sheep skin...

Same here Black sheepskin from and rear

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default air hawk R Large or small for 2016 rt

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Air Hawk "R" cruiser size for the RT
    any info would be great

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ZENspyderman View Post
    Large or small for a RT
    Bumped. Still looking for an answer also. Large or small Cruiser R cushion?

Spyder Garage

Default Better Seating?

20170302_122329.jpg Sorry tried to get picture turned but won't and I followed suggestions on this site. Anyway, after a number of years and trials and errors I finally learned it was cheaper in the long run to go with a custom Russell Day Long seat for me and the wife, no more problems, 3 russell seats , 3 different bikes later out of a number of bikes....just saying. safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

That seat in the pic looks GREAT. Lots of cush for the passenger and back support for the driver. BUT how do you lift it to get under the seat? Looks to have NO hinge clearance at the passenger back rest.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    20170302_122329.jpg Sorry tried to get picture turned but won't and I followed suggestions on this site. Anyway, after a number of years and trials and errors I finally learned it was cheaper in the long run to go with a custom Russell Day Long seat for me and the wife, no more problems, 3 russell seats , 3 different bikes later out of a number of bikes....just saying. safe riding!
    Sounds like my story.

I went with Russell seats on my last two Harley's, but on the Spyder I went with the BRP's heated comfort seat. Found out that didn't work for me and sold it for half of what I paid. Put the stock seat back on and purchased an Air Hawk R, and found that did little for me so I sold that for half of what I paid for it. Loved the look of the Ultimate seat in two tone black and white so purchased that and put it on just before a 3000 mile trip. I soon discovered that it pressed on my legs in a certain spots due to my short legs resulting in pain after 50 miles. The company was great and took the seat back so I was only out the $100 for shipping costs.

After all this fun and being out around $800 I went back to Russell and had them make me one. Now I can ride as many miles and for as long as I want. I should have just started with the Russell and saved $$ and pain.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Seat searching

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Sounds like my story.

I went with Russell seats on my last two Harley's, but on the Spyder I went with the BRP's heated comfort seat. Found out that didn't work for me and sold it for half of what I paid. Put the stock seat back on and purchased an Air Hawk R, and found that did little for me so I sold that for half of what I paid for it. Loved the look of the Ultimate seat in two tone black and white so purchased that and put it on just before a 3000 mile trip. I soon discovered that it pressed on my legs in a certain spots due to my short legs resulting in pain after 50 miles. The company was great and took the seat back so I was only out the $100 for shipping costs.

After all this fun and being out around $800 I went back to Russell and had them make me one. Now I can ride as many miles and for as long as I want. I should have just started with the Russell and saved $$ and pain.
    Hello,
    I went thru similar exercises with my 2015 rt seat. Sheepskin, air hawk, seat rebuilt by local craftsman who worked hard but rebuild sucked. Finally, Russell seat, only way to go. The cost of all changes expensive and to personal to divulge. As above, go RDL and save money.
    Pete

Spyder Garage

Default SEAT MODS

hello I had my seat redone. I removed the soft foam and added a much stiffer foam, For years on my st1300 Honda I had a sergeant seat and on long trips I added a sheep skin cover. worked great so I am taking a similar path with the RT. I am also 6ft 6inches tall so I had to move the seat back 5inches. I had my seat reupholstered , The total cost was 450.00, If you need a seat to be redone let me know if I can be of any help.