Thread: LED Headlights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default LED Headlights

I have a 2012 RS and an looking to replace the headlights with the LED Headlights and wanted to ask is anyone has installed LED headlight in there RS. I just ordered a set for my RS $109.50 they look like they are plug and play if the add is correct. I will have to have the shop install them the last time I changed a headlight it cost me a $1000 Bucks the head light came out and arced across the Bucked
    shorted out the voltage regulator and melted the headlight bucket so it's to the Shop. jtpollock

Up date I got the kit in the mail they really looked like a quality part with all the plug and play wiring but you can't put a round peg in a square hole the shop and my self could not find a way to make the retaining clip fit the LED. The LED is a H7 the Spyder bulb is a H7
    sounds good but the retaining clip just won't work also the dust cover would have to be modified. jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JT,
    Where did you order them from? I would imagine that a quick call to them should solve this puzzle.
    Good Luck!
    (And putting LED lighting in a Vee-Twin bike makes perfect sense: a much lower draw on the electrical system!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED INTO AN RS

Good news someone here just went through this and made the same discovery H-7 doesn't always = H-7 ..... I believe they used the OEM metal attachment ring from the RS and just added it to the new LED ...... The THREAD was posted less than a week ago ....... Mike ....................... found it ............. look up Threads started by " Jeronimo "
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-09-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Good catch!

Here's the rhread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-did-you-do-it
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mike, Bob thanks there was some good info there I'm still waiting to see if there were any other modification needed. Now its wait and see. jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default returnning LED headlights

Well I'm giving up on the LED's I just got the return label so back they go. As I am unable to find a stock Clip Need two to try to modify I do not want to mess up my originals. I will have to wait till someone comes out with a complete kit and step be step instruction. I do not have the tools time or skill for R&D to engineer the required parts to do this job. Another day!!! jtpollock

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HALOGEN TO LED SWAP THINGY

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    Well I'm giving up on the LED's I just got the return label so back they go. As I am unable to find a stock Clip Need two to try to modify I do not want to mess up my originals. I will have to wait till someone comes out with a complete kit and step be step instruction. I do not have the tools time or skill for R&D to engineer the required parts to do this job. Another day!!! jtpollock
    ............ Sorry to hear this .... I feel your pain .... I did some further deeper research on this and discovered some posts back in Sept (?) 2013 about issues with KB lighting ? / Xenon Depot ..... ( use the search function - Xenon Depot ) .... apparently there were honesty issues with the company !!!! ........... So can you explain why the LED H7 doesn't fit where the Halogen H7 - DOES ???? .... I saw the post about the Mercedes-Benz metal clip ( and that it only comes with an ENTIRE headlight assbly ) ....... How does this clip remedy the problem ......... Thanks .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    Are you saying you need some parts off stock RS headlights to try and mod? Which ones? I'm sure there are a set or two of stock RS lights laying around my shop. Let me know if I can help.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Are you saying you need some parts off stock RS headlights to try and mod? Which ones? I'm sure there are a set or two of stock RS lights laying around my shop. Let me know if I can help.

The parts would half to be from 2012 rs stock retaining Clip that you put on the back of the stock H7 headlight it has a square hole in the center and as you twist to the right to lock the blub in place it also has some spring tension ( the part only comes as a part of a complete Headlight bucket) jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ............ Sorry to hear this .... I feel your pain .... I did some further deeper research on this and discovered some posts back in Sept (?) 2013 about issues with KB lighting ? / Xenon Depot ..... ( use the search function - Xenon Depot ) .... apparently there were honesty issues with the company !!!! ........... So can you explain why the LED H7 doesn't fit where the Halogen H7 - DOES ???? .... I saw the post about the Mercedes-Benz metal clip ( and that it only comes with an ENTIRE headlight assbly ) ....... How does this clip remedy the problem ......... Thanks .... Mike
    I sent you an e-mail..... but maybe to help others you need to pull the index ring off the LED and put the stock Spring clip on the index ring put it back together
    and lock the light in place the Mercedes-Benz metal clip has the round hole but I can't tell is the locking portion will lock in place jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Hi jtpollock,

Re: I'm giving up on the LED's

I agree with your decision. I have been doing some looking for LED's for my '08 headlights.

So far no one will tell me without a doubt that 'their' LED's will fit my '08 as a Plug & Play change-out.

One problem, since these models are no longer being produced, there is no real incentive for the supply companies to develop products for them.

Just my $0.02 on this issue,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi jtpollock,

Re: I'm giving up on the LED's

I agree with your decision. I have been doing some looking for LED's for my '08 headlights.

So far no one will tell me without a doubt that 'their' LED's will fit my '08 as a Plug & Play change-out.

One problem, since these models are no longer being produced, there is no real incentive for the supply companies to develop products for them.

Just my $0.02 on this issue,

Jerry Baumchen
    Jerry,

YES there plug and play they just won't stay where you put them with out the retaining spring clip thanks for the $0.02 Keep the rubber side down..... jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me look here in a bit when I get back. I just might have what your looking for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are these the clips you need? Pretty sure these are out of a 12' RS. They had HID bulbs in them so they have been notched.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Are these the clips you need? Pretty sure these are out of a 12' RS. They had HID bulbs in them so they have been notched.

Drew,

yes that is what I am looking for I will be in contact. jtpollock

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

👍

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

��

THANKS AGAIN, got the clips yesterday afternoon now comes the hard part making the clip fit I noticed that there is no index tab at the point
    that should be the top anyway the fun begins Lamont sent a link to his post installing HID headlights so I have photos and I will try to take photos
    so if anyone else comes to this point they will know what to do. jtpollock

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default SUCESS

Well almost I spent close to 4hr on Saturday modifying the clips to mount the headlights.

I tried several things to cut and modify the clips ( thanks to Drew) for the clips I destroyed
    both of them.

Then I did figure out how to modify mine I finally used a ball grinder to make
    the round hole in the center of the square mount clip there was a lot of fiddling
    to get the tabs in the right location and to lock the LED in place.

The right one is still not locked in correctly as it is pointing down and not straight out
    I was not able to see that till I did my test ride in the dark this morning... so close
    to all for the help and additional information to help me with this endeavor.. jtpollock
    Last edited by jtpollock; 03-27-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

All is good and thank you to all for you input and I did not give up my mechanic tweaked the tabs on both light and got them in correctly in about half an hour not bad saved my thumbs and fingers. Now I can see jtpollock