Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Spyder accident - distracted driving

This time the guy walked away from it.

http://www.rnrfonline.com/motorcycle...hic-collision/

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yep and just how much worse would it have been if this was a 2 wheeler?

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Wow.....one very lucky ryder..He is right in that it is the size and construction of the spyder that probably saved his life cause you can imagine had he been on a two wheeler or smart car....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank Goodness, that he is okay...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad he was ok
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Skid marks

NO skidding tire marks leading to the crash site.------ can you say law suit!!!

Inattentive driving causes::::::::::::::: Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Glad he was ok.Bet it dosn,t buff out
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    NO skidding tire marks leading to the crash site.------ can you say law suit!!!

Inattentive driving causes::::::::::::::: Kaos
    While with you: the car is new enough that it may have had ABS. No lockup means no skid-marks.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looking at the pictures, it appears that first contact with the Spyder was back some distance. I think the fact that the Spyder was not right behind the vehicle in front of him when hit also played a part in him not being seriously injured. If I'm right, the "squish factor" might have been much greater had he been pulled up right behind the red SUV.
    In my mind, another good reason to give yourself more space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.

I'm really happy he got to walk away from this preventable negligence of the offending driver.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

i have no clue how he was walking around
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess, is that he got launched off of the bike at the initial impact, and his safety gear did it's job...

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cell phones

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    This time the guy walked away from it.

http://www.rnrfonline.com/motorcycle...hic-collision/

Bob
    Bob I have seen your video on distracted drivers and I am just amazed at how many people are on their phones, or even worse texting while driving on the freeway! I want to shoot them at that point, and I'm a pacifist!
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 03-09-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad the Spyder owner is okay, but it's a fallacy that people are fine if they are walking around. If anyone is involved in an accident get transported to a hospital for an evaluation. Internal injuries don't show up right away.

Spyder Garage

Spyder sandwich A few weeks ago I was at a stoplight and heard crrruuunccch. I looked back and saw the car behind me with his rear bumper on the ground. I thank God that car was there and saved me otherwise could have been a very similar situation where some ID 10 T not paying attention rear ended. It certainly is dangerous out there, and working as a volunteer with our community emergency response team I have a fire radio and hear motorcycle accidents all the time, including the share of fatal ones. Please everyone use your situational awareness and please... ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time, especially if nothing else a good full helmet. It may be inconvenient or against your whatever beliefs but none of us are immune and if the worst happens it just may save your life.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"The cause of the crash is under investigation." Say what?

It's obvious the gray car caused the crash when it ran into the back of the Spyder. Maybe they mean what else he was doing while he was moving.

It's odd the Spyder ryder seemed to be OK, but SUV driver was taken to a hospital.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default A reminder

This is just a reminder of the inherent danger involved in what we enjoy doing! Bob D, I hope this guy had safety gear on, and not Flip Flops shorts and a tank top! But it reminds me why I go ATGATT every time I get on the darn motorcycle, you don't know when you are going to encounter the distracted driver whether you are going to the Grocery Store, or to Valcourt! Dress for the slide, not the ryde!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    "The cause of the crash is under investigation." Say what?

It's obvious the gray car caused the crash when it ran into the back of the Spyder. Maybe they mean what else he was doing while he was moving.

It's odd the Spyder ryder seemed to be OK, but SUV driver was taken to a hospital.
    Not too odd when you see that the SUV ran into the Van in front of them! They didn't have any safety gear on and who knows they may not have been wearing a seat belt!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSteveFL View Post
    Please everyone use your situational awareness and please... ATGATT - All The Gear, All The Time, especially if nothing else a good full helmet. It may be inconvenient or against your whatever beliefs but none of us are immune and if the worst happens it just may save your life.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My guess, is that he got launched off of the bike at the initial impact, and his safety gear did it's job...
    The article says he wound up on top of the SUV.

"The driver told RNRF that he was propelled on top of the SUV and believes the size of the bike probably saved his life."

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks...
    The salient point, is that he wasn't on it when the bike started getting seriously compacted.

Which reminds me: anybody want to discuss seat-belts on Spyders again?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    I'm glad the Spyder owner is okay, but it's a fallacy that people are fine if they are walking around. If anyone is involved in an accident get transported to a hospital for an evaluation. Internal injuries don't show up right away.
    You're right I think he should have gone to the hospital. Someone in the SUV was transported though.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If you zoom in on the picture at the seat. The trunk lid is almost touching the windshield.
    The seat looks like it is a backrest!

I have seen 3 other pictures / reports on rear end Spyder accidents over the last 2 years and the other 3 the rider perished.

This guy was lucky to be ejected. I bet the initial impact was not as damaging as the picture shows, and then when he was pushed into the SUV, that sudden stop ejected him onto the SUV and the rest of the crunch happened.

Luck guy and I agree with the previous post. This is why you do not stop right behind a car.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default So glad he's OK

Wow.....always cautious about people behind me especially if making a left turn with no turn lane....if I see them coming up on me fast, I just go straight and take a different route. It looks like he had no choice as it appears he was just stopped in traffic....

So thankful he's OK. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 03-09-2017 at 01:32 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Another lucky driver.

Another good place to mention ATGATT.

And another argument for Seatbelts, NO!.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    Looking at the pictures, it appears that first contact with the Spyder was back some distance. I think the fact that the Spyder was not right behind the vehicle in front of him when hit also played a part in him not being seriously injured. If I'm right, the "squish factor" might have been much greater had he been pulled up right behind the red SUV.
    In my mind, another good reason to give yourself more space between you and the vehicle ahead of you.

I'm really happy he got to walk away from this preventable negligence of the offending driver.

Gary

This is the reason that I leave at least 20 feet and sometimes more between the car in front of me and my Spyder or my vehicle at stop lights and stop signs. I do not trust other drivers!!!!!

I am very glad that the spyder rider is ok.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod