Spyder Garage

Default Any paralyzed riders on the F3 style bike?

Good morning gang. Just looking for feedback from anyone without the use of their legs who may be riding the F3 style bike. Looking to hear how they like the more forward position of their legs? I'm considering an F3-S but since I need a hand brake, test riding the bike is never an option. Big Bummer Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mjrcpd View Post
    Good morning gang. Just looking for feedback from anyone without the use of their legs who may be riding the F3 style bike. Looking to hear how they like the more forward position of their legs? I'm considering an F3-S but since I need a hand brake, test riding the bike is never an option. Big Bummer Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    I have an F3S and no use of my right foot. Operating the brake as is too dangerous a feat to attempt without help. On both of the Spyders I've owned I had ordered the ISCI hand brake controller. On the first bike It worked flawless and I had no problems with it at all. On the F3S it's a little more cumbersome a unit and it 'shows' itself more but works great and gives me the confidence to ride however I want and know that I can stop or slow down with complete control. The foot brake is still there in case something comes up and I need to stomp down on it with my cane.

They are not a cheap accessory, they are an expensive add on and a necessity for safe riding if you have limited or no use of your right side. But they are a very high quality unit that has been well thought out and works as specified.

To bad your so far, you could test ride mine.

Roger

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

There is a forum for handicap ryders that may be helpful....look in forums for Enabled spyderlovers...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Hi I can't speak personally to ryding with paralysis but I can put you in touch with someone that is from the waist down. Anthony was part of the alumni group from our first ryde for the Road Warrior Foundation from Seattle WA to Tampa, FL. The ryde was done on the RT which is a different beast but given the distance I'm sure Anthony could give you some insights. He has sat on the F3 but without the hand controls ryding wasn't possible. Having owned both I think the F3 ride with the lower center of gravity would feel more secure. I'm guessing you would need foot boards and depending on your exact condition maybe Velcro retainers. That was something not needed on the RT due to the seating position. If you are interested in getting in touch with Anthony send me a PM.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Hi I can't speak personally to ryding with paralysis but I can put you in touch with someone that is from the waist down. Anthony was part of the alumni group from our first ryde for the Road Warrior Foundation from Seattle WA to Tampa, FL. The ryde was done on the RT which is a different beast but given the distance I'm sure Anthony could give you some insights. He has sat on the F3 but without the hand controls ryding wasn't possible. Having owned both I think the F3 ride with the lower center of gravity would feel more secure. I'm guessing you would need foot boards and depending on your exact condition maybe Velcro retainers. That was something not needed on the RT due to the seating position. If you are interested in getting in touch with Anthony send me a PM.

CJ JAX

Thanks a a ton for the response. I have a lot of experience riding an atv, which more closely resembles the riding position of the RT. As you know, the foot position changes on the F3, which is the root of my concern. Thank you for the footboard suggestion as they'll be crucial for my foot stability. I also like the Velcro idea for added security.

Again, I appreciate your response, Spyderlover is certainly a great resource !! Thanks again