Spyder Garage

Default Front Wheel Removal

Per an earlier post, I've learned all there needs to be known about powder coating the wheels. First step, remove the wheels. Today I spent a lot of time on the road between my house and 'town'. I asked my dealer the size socket, 21mm. I went to Sears to get said 1/2 drive socket. Not enough pump to rotate the nut. Didn't have a 6 foot 'breaker' bar. Clever guy, why not get a impact socket. Next trip into town, I got a 21mm impact socket. No help at all. The nuts on the wheels are really really close to the wheel well and that impact driver just would not fit. So now, NOW WHAT? Obviously the dealer has a special tool. Where to get one?
    Last edited by ricford; 03-06-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

13/16ths thin wall spark plug socket fits perfectly.

when you put it back on only go to 79 foot lbs of torque.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default +1 on 13/16 socket

Got some cheap at the auto supply clearance bin. Although they are 3/8" drive, a 3/8 to 1/2 conversion gets them onto my torque wrench. And after the first time off, you'll have them at 77-80 ft-lb where they're easy after that. I had one lug on each of the fronts that was tite-tite when I brought it home, but now all are clean/ lightly lubed, and torqued. Most manuals do not recommend lube on a wheel lug, but I like them clean and lightly lubed so they don't "grow fast".

Oh, and I'm sure you know, break them loose on the ground, with the parking brake set BEFORE you start to jack it up either under the front main frame member, or with a wood block or rubber pad under the A-arm.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 03-04-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added info
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Got some cheap at the auto supply clearance bin. Although they are 3/8" drive, a 3/8 to 1/2 conversion gets them onto my torque wrench. And after the first time off, you'll have them at 77-80 ft-lb where they're easy after that. I had one lug on each of the fronts that was tite-tite when I brought it home, but now all are clean/ lightly lubed, and torqued. Most manuals do not recommend lube on a wheel lug, but I like them clean and lightly lubed so they don't "grow fast".

Oh, and I'm sure you know, break them loose on the ground, with the parking brake set BEFORE you start to jack it up either under the front main frame member, or with a wood block or rubber pad under the A-arm.
    I was typing the exact same thing when I saw your post. Also, if you put the socket on a long breaker bar it will give you more leverage.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above

But be sure it is the hexagonal socket and not the multipoint cause they are thicker....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

There are thin wall 6 point impact sockets available for this purpose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronimo View Post
    There are thin wall 6 point impact sockets available for this purpose.
    Do you know a source please?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Nearly every tool I own I purchased off a Snap On tool truck, or a Matco truck, so I know they have them. I believe you can also get one at Sears in the Craftsman line. I do not expect they are too difficult to find as custom wheels have become so popular in the past two decades. The one I have even has an external plastic sleeve to prevent galling or scratching of the wheel.

A quick search and I found a set at LOWES; https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sunex-Tools...0-db2b0efd23ae

Spyder Garage

Default Socket

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    I just received this socket, it fits perfectly. I had 6 point 3/8 drive spark plug sockets and 12 point 1/2 inch drive sockets that would fit but nothing 6 point in 1/2 inch drive. I wanted one I could use with my torque wrench without an adapter and this one works. You have to use it without the plastic sleeves (they slide right off).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Drive-Fl...IAAOSw4GVYK3tz
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I got my F3L the front lug nuts were 150 foot lbs. The 13/16 1/2" drive socket I had worked fine to loosen them.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    When I got my F3L the front lug nuts were 150 foot lbs. The 13/16 1/2" drive socket I had worked fine to loosen them.
    Holy moly! 150 lb/ft that is beyond full gorilla mode.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Breaker bar

Harbor Fright often sells a 25" breaker bar for about $10. A piece of pipe if really necessary and of course " Righty Tighty--Lefty Loosey" PLEASE use a dab of anti seize paste when re-installing. Crack the lugs loose on the ground before lifting the . My Magnum R/T once came back from the dealer with lugs so tight I had to stand on the breaker bar to loosen them. You bet they heard about it!!!

Good luck, Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BREAKER BAR - HOW TO MAKE

If you don't have one - make one like I did .......... I bought 10 ft. of 3/4in. electrical conduit at Home Depot ( $ 5.00 +/- ) you might get it shorter tho ........ cut 3 ft. and put the end in a bench vise .... flattened the end until my 1/2 in. ratchet wrench would slide in....... excellent breaker bar - CHEAP ......... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used an 18" breaker bar and regular 13/16" socket. Of course when I pulled on the bar the tire spun on the concrete floor. So I just positioned the bar parallel to the floor and gave it on quick stomp with my foot. Broke loose right off!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)