Spyder Garage

Default Craigslist caution

So I have been trying to sell my spyder so I can upgrade and I keep getting calls and emails wanting to know my address so they can look at bike, when I tell them I will meet them in public place they never contact me again.

be cautious who you give your info to because I am not sure if they want to steal my bike or rob my house

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalsh View Post
    So I have been trying to sell my spyder so I can upgrade and I keep getting calls and emails wanting to know my address so they can look at bike, when I tell them I will meet them in public place they never contact me again.

be cautious who you give your info to because I am not sure if they want to steal my bike or rob my house
    Thanks for the info. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Good words of caution. You never know what you will run into with internet shoppers.

Spyder Garage

Craigslist seems to have a whole lot of problems when it comes to getting ripped off. Your cautions are right.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I sold my 2013 RT the guy who called left a message with his name and number. I did a Google search on it and learned he was a local plumbing contractor. Then I called him back. He bought it with cash on the table!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CRAIGSLIST ETC

This is not just Craigslist ...... the entire buy - sell using Ads thing - in the world we now live in, has become something to be very careful when doing. Un-fortunately there are more and more dis-honest people out there and less and less honest ones ...... Do diligence is mandatory - it is definitely more prevalent on the FREE sites than the PAY FOR sites but that is not a guarantee........ X-Leo speaking, watch yourselves , please ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I made it clear in my add that Deal is cash at my local bank ONLY and Title plateswap occurs there? But I took my RT off the For Sale block Because I love the 5 Speed as Much as I love my F3-So I'll keep BOTH!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have bought and sold many things on CL, from cars to motorcycles, in fact i just bought one a few weeks ago, i am very careful but unlike most people, if the seller wants to meet me at a different place than his house i will not do it, to me that raises a flag and tells me that the seller wants to sell me a bad product and he don't want to be found later, never been burned, (yet), i am one of the very few people that still has faith in humankind

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

Consignment....the only other way to go. Although here they have opened a place next to the police station where folks can do their transactions safely.
    Last edited by Chupaca; 03-01-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

after 2 more scam emails i came to the conclusion that i do not need craigslist, took bike off and will see what i can do for trade, I am also going to leave up on here and see how it goes.
    the nice part about closed forums is no spammers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    I have bought and sold many things on CL, from cars to motorcycles, in fact i just bought one a few weeks ago, i am very careful but unlike most people, if the seller wants to meet me at a different place than his house i will not do it, to me that raises a flag and tells me that the seller wants to sell me a bad product and he don't want to be found later, never been burned, (yet), i am one of the very few people that still has faith in humankind
    Meeting in a public place is best for the safety of the buyer and the seller. There's no need to 'find the seller later' because you really have no recourse... once you buy it.. it's yours.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And once you sell it: it's theirs.
    (As long as the check clears! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Consignment....the only other way to go. Although here they have opened a place next to the police station where folks can do their transactions safely.
    Who does consignment on motorcycles??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of dealers will; you have to ask...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican View Post
    I have also sold vehicles and motorcycles on CL, as a safety practice I never ever have them meet me at my address!!!!

I also take their drivers license if they take it for a test drive. If they don't agree, then say bye bye.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...And once you sell it: it's theirs.
    (As long as the check clears! )
    Once the sell is agreed on, either take cash or meet at their banking location for transaction.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

after 2 more scam emails i came to the conclusion that i do not need craigslist, took bike off and will see what i can do for trade, I am also going to leave up on here and see how it goes.
    Someone must fall for these scams else they wouldn't keep trying. A fool and his money are soon parted.

I use gmail account for my email contact. One that I can simply get rid of if I choose and NEVER my actual, personal email account.

I also use Hangouts or Google Voice to talk to them or text from without disclosing your personal phone number.. A number you can get rid of and NEVER my actual home phone number or personal cellphone number.

NO CHECKS, just cash or we do the transaction at their BANK locally. I have the Bank write the check to me, not the person. Plus we need vehicle title notarized anyway so why not at their Bank. And if they bring cash, we meet at my Bank for the same reason. CASH goes right into my account and title gets witnessed and notarized.

Scammers stop trying once they know the ground rules and only interested people stay in contact. Of course, the lowballers are out there trying to get something for a LOT less then the item is worth, but make sure they know upfront what the rules are and most will leave you alone. Unfortunately, takes some screening and valuable time to sell large ticket items safely on Craigslist Trade-in to a dealer? Only advantage is avoiding the scammers, but that will cost you thousands. But if it gets you peace of mind, it might be worth it.

Spyder Garage

Default Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    This is not just Craigslist ...... the entire buy - sell using Ads thing - in the world we now live in, has become something to be very careful when doing. Un-fortunately there are more and more dis-honest people out there and less and less honest ones ...... Do diligence is mandatory - it is definitely more prevalent on the FREE sites than the PAY FOR sites but that is not a guarantee........ X-Leo speaking, watch yourselves , please ...... Mike
    I'll second that!

Spyder Garage

Everyone be care out there when selling/or buying anything...............please!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

AFTER SEEING ALL THESE POSTS I WILL BE MORE CAREFUL FOR SURE!!

Spyder Garage

Ive had a bike on CL twice this past year, and I've had contacts from to different women who ask vague, minor questions, and a couple emails later, they ask if I have a CarFax type report. When I tell them no, they suggest a particular report that is cheaper than CarFax. I fell for it the first time, and once you have the report you don't hear from them again. I complained to this report company and they refunded my payment.
    Last edited by Joerolwing; 03-03-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've bought and sold many things thru CL with nary a problem, but I think certain types of items bring more risk than others. In my case, we can't meet off the farms because we're buying or selling large equipment or livestock. My buyers and sellers have always been the epitome of friendliness and, as has always turned out so far, honesty. But maybe that's just more common among that particular market.

Taking precautions is always wise, however, and I'm sure licensed vehicles or expensive jewelry, e.g., are more prone to risks. As a CL seller, I've had frequent scammers email me, but they're so transparent, it's comical. And one seller was so suspicious that a little googling on my part easily proved that the "famous" horse she was selling wasn't even close to who she claimed he was. So, just being alert on CL can help keep you safe.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

I've sold stuff via Craigslist. Yes, I get the emails and txt messages from scammers and those are easy and obvious to weed out. I then get the dreamers who will talk my ear off, but they are just window shopping.

I then get the low ballers who are trying to get a good deal, but still don't seem to have the $$$ to buy the damn thing. I had one guy who told me he was a little short and could sell a gun to his buddy to make up the difference. Bottom line... If he didn't have the money then he shouldn't be looking to buy a $10,000 trailer.

I don't have a problem with someone coming to the house once I talk to them a bit on the phone. With selling my toy hauler, it kinda had to happen that way. I have enough neighbors around and security cameras outside. The house is locked up and I'm armed anyway.

To be honest, you don't have much to worry about in selling something versus buying it. I'd worry more about carrying a large amount of cash to a strangers house than having someone bring a lot of cash to my house to buy something.

Doesn't hurt to be careful though.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

when i sold my yamaha last year i listed phone & address of my store because i didn't want anyone to come to the house.
    if i didn't have this place i would have them meet in public place & would bring a friend and would take video of them &
    their car they come in