Thread: RESET

Spyder Garage

Default RESET

I have been a Goldwing rider for 20 yrs. still have one but I bought a 2014 rt limited.
    My question is
    if you start the Goldwing and don't touch the throttle let it run until the fans come on and go off it resets the computer
    I did that on the spyder and It ran the fans came on and then shut down. I just wonder if anyone know doe it put the computer bck to factory specs?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure why your asking or what your trying to do but every time you turn the spyder off, take key out, walk at least 30 yards away for a few minutes the Spyder computer will clear. These steps would be necessary if for any reason your spyder went into limp mode or had any other random error code pop up.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 03-01-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis elliott View Post
    I have been a Goldwing rider for 20 yrs. still have one but I bought a 2014 rt limited.
    My question is
    if you start the Goldwing and don't touch the throttle let it run until the fans come on and go off it resets the computer
    I did that on the spyder and It ran the fans came on and then shut down. I just wonder if anyone know doe it put the computer bck to factory specs?
    Which of the 6 or 5, depending on the model, onboard computers are you trying to reset and why?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Not sure why your asking or what your trying to do but every time you turn the spyder off, take key out, walk at least 30 yards away for a few minutes the Spyder computer will clear. These steps would be necessary if for any reason your spyder went into limp mode or had any other random error code pop up.

Sorry but the magical key walk is just a myth. The key to the transponder key has a range of 1 inch max. There is no communication between the DESS and the transponder key except for a few seconds after turning the ignition on.

After the ignition key is turned off. System shutdown takes about 20 seconds but best to wait 30 just to be sure.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

NO!

AJ

I just wonder if anyone know doe it put the computer bck to factory specs?

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

the computers stay in the original settings . You cannot change any settings, well the time, trip meters, run time and radio stations if you have them. Those are all set manually and may reset. The stored codes and all can only be cleared with the buds system at the dealer unless you pay the big bucks and get your own....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Some codes will not clear without BUDS. Usually codes that could cause safety or severe damage.
    Other transient codes will clear with a power down.
    But with that said there is some kind of delay timer involved with a power down and waiting some time before a power up.
    I have seen this myself personally. I think it is more than 5 minutes but less than say 15.
    This is why some think the "key walk" works. You do not have to walk with the key but some faults won't clear without waiting a time period.

The bottom line though, if you get a code and it clears after a power down, that doesn't mean there is not something wrong. Yes some codes CAN be induced by user error (like riding the brake peddle). Codes usually mean you are having a problem or a problem is developing and it could continue to get worse.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 03-01-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know what you're trying to accomplish (and why...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Please let us know what you're trying to accomplish (and why...)
    Bob - I am thinking that the old boy is more curious then actually trying to reset any of the computer settings.... Just kind of wants to know... I could be wrong though I certainly have been wrong before. Hopefully he comes back and lets us all know though..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope that you're right...

This reminds me of a joke...

I once made a mistake: I thought that I was wrong about something, but it turned out that I wasn't!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My question is
    Now that you mention it, I remember the same thing happening to me. One day I started my 2013 RT and walked away for something like 10 or 15 minutes. When I came back the Spyder was off. I think that is a safety feature. If you leave your Spyder idling for an extended time period without touching it, the computer senses the lack of activity and automatically shuts it down. No reset of anything takes place.

The same kind of thing happens with my Nissan Titan pickup. I had a rock against the accelerator pedal to make it idle fast to recharge the battery. Came back several minutes later and the rock was still there. It hadn't moved, but the engine had dropped back to normal idle.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-01-2017 at 03:47 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Many or most of the people here are not familiar with the process of resetting you are referring to. I believe the answer is no. As you are aware, it is fairly common to do this to your Wing at least once per season. I have never heard of it with reference to a Spyder.
    Last edited by rcturner; 03-02-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post
    Bob - I am thinking that the old boy is more curious then actually trying to reset any of the computer settings.... Just kind of wants to know... I could be wrong though I certainly have been wrong before. Hopefully he comes back and lets us all know though..
    yes I'm was just curious. not really trying to reset anything

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for letting us know...
    About the only "re-setting" that i've ever seen, is if you interrupt the starting sequence. (Turn the key on, and then shut it off before actually starting the bike.) But I think that this just re-sets all the RECC settings back to the way they came from the factory...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for letting us know...
    About the only "re-setting" that i've ever seen, is if you interrupt the starting sequence. (Turn the key on, and then shut it off before actually starting the bike.) But I think that this just re-sets all the RECC settings back to the way they came from the factory...
    Bob fairly new and don't know how to and pics or my upgrades can you help.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder ken View Post
    Bob fairly new and don't know how to and pics or my upgrades can you help.
    Don't understand your question. What is it you want to know?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)