Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Active Member MagYukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sherbrooke, Qc
    Posts
    43

    Default F3T top case options

    Hi,

    I'm actually looking at options for a top case for my 2016 F3T.

    Considering the over 2000$ price for the Limited one that BRP is offering, it's not the way I want to go.

    I found the Shad SH58X on the web ( http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/cases/top-cases/sh58x/c17r160 ) and I really like the way it looks and the space it can provide.

    Is there somebody who has already installed one ? I'd like to see the look after installation.

    Can someone suggest me the best rack that I can use to install it ? Actually, Shad don't have anything specifically for the F3.

    Thanks !

  2. #2
    SpyderLovers Sponsor Air Wing Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    308

    Default Baker Built

    Hi we have a luggage rack that mounts easily to your F3T and we have GIVI and other brand luggage for sale on our website at extremely low cost. These top cases and side cases will mount easily to our Luggage Rack way cheaper than $2000. Maybe this will be of interest to you. You can find the inventory here, http://www.bakerbuiltairwings.com/products.php?cat=35 we have this marked to sell we have limited storage and are a dealer of GIVI we do not want to keep these in storage as we need the room for other product. Give us a call or email us if you see something or have any questions. 1-800-451-9464 or sales@bakerbuiltairwings.com Thank you for your time.

  3. #3
    Consumer Advocate akspyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    29,831

    Default

    The new top case for $2K is at the very high end. Typical for any "new" accessories offered by an OEM manufacturer.

    The "looks" are beautiful and would dress up the F3 very nicely. However, my thoughts--if I want a top case, I might as well get the RT which comes with a top case in all versions. The price you pay for a loaded F3T is at pretty much the same price as a RTL. And then you add another $2K to the F3???????? There was a time when I may have jumped on this--but sadly, it has passed me by. I am actually liking the "trunkless" look on the F3's.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 9 years, 139,000 miles, 5 Spyder miles per post.


  4. #4
    Active Member MagYukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sherbrooke, Qc
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The new top case for $2K is at the very high end. Typical for any "new" accessories offered by an OEM manufacturer.

    The "looks" are beautiful and would dress up the F3 very nicely. However, my thoughts--if I want a top case, I might as well get the RT which comes with a top case in all versions. The price you pay for a loaded F3T is at pretty much the same price as a RTL. And then you add another $2K to the F3???????? There was a time when I may have jumped on this--but sadly, it has passed me by. I am actually liking the "trunkless" look on the F3's.


    I agree with you. OEM stuff is just ridiculously priced.

    I also like the look of the trunkless F3. But, for some longer rides, the space is just not enough.

    That the whole idea of the Shad Top Case. It is adjustable in height (3 positions) and it has even a quick detach mecanism to remove it in just a few seconds.

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Posts
    130

    Default MagYukon Your Top Case

    Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    I agree with you. OEM stuff is just ridiculously priced.

    I also like the look of the trunkless F3. But, for some longer rides, the space is just not enough.

    That the whole idea of the Shad Top Case. It is adjustable in height (3 positions) and it has even a quick detach mecanism to remove it in just a few seconds.
    MagYukon from you aviatar it looks like you installed the Shad SH58X. Can you post of pictures? Which rack did you end up using? Did you solid mount of use the quick detach plate? Where did you order from and what was the price? I live in Edmonton AB and would likely prefer to order in Canada if I can find a fair price relative to buying in the US.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    MagYukon from you aviatar it looks like you installed the Shad SH58X. Can you post of pictures? Which rack did you end up using? Did you solid mount of use the quick detach plate? Where did you order from and what was the price? I live in Edmonton AB and would likely prefer to order in Canada if I can find a fair price relative to buying in the US.

    Thanks
    Ive got the Shad 48 liter on mine it is mounted with their quick release mount. Still want to add some lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    2017 F3T-SM6 TricLED Lights, Wide Vu Mirrors, BajaRon Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Roadster Renoí Belt Tensioner, Tall Boy Mid Height W/S, PPA Black Orb Wheels
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 on test drive 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 loaner put 5,000 miles on it
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 retired at 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

  7. #7
    Active Member nealperkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I am very happy with my Givi. There is a post out there with my name on it. I've since added turn signals on the box from TricLed...very bright.
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

  8. #8
    Active Member nealperkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I am very happy with my Givi. There is a post out there with my name on it. I've since added turn signals on the box from TricLed...very bright.
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

  9. #9
    Active Member MagYukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sherbrooke, Qc
    Posts
    43

    Default My Shad 58x

    Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    MagYukon from you aviatar it looks like you installed the Shad SH58X. Can you post of pictures? Which rack did you end up using? Did you solid mount of use the quick detach plate? Where did you order from and what was the price? I live in Edmonton AB and would likely prefer to order in Canada if I can find a fair price relative to buying in the US.

    Thanks

    Hi,

    I bought my Shad58X from ADM Sport in Quebec (it came with the quick detach plate). I believe they can ship anywhere in Canada. Mine was 420$ + tx.

    It's really a great topcase. Usually, in collapsed mode, it's just perfect for my laptop bag and when needed, you can expand it for more space.

    The rack is of my creation. I'm in the process of having something I can show you more in detail and probably be able to sell at an affordable price.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Posts
    130

    Default Your rack

    Thanks keep us us posted when your rack is ready for sale

    Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi,

    I bought my Shad58X from ADM Sport in Quebec (it came with the quick detach plate). I believe they can ship anywhere in Canada. Mine was 420$ + tx.

    It's really a great topcase. Usually, in collapsed mode, it's just perfect for my laptop bag and when needed, you can expand it for more space.

    The rack is of my creation. I'm in the process of having something I can show you more in detail and probably be able to sell at an affordable price.

  11. #11
    Active Member MagYukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sherbrooke, Qc
    Posts
    43

    Default pictures

    Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    Thanks keep us us posted when your rack is ready for sale
    here's some pics:

    F3T - Rack.jpg F3T - Rack with case.jpg F3T - Rack with case Expanded.jpg

    The rack is still the prototype one. I'm trying to get something even better during winter.

    So far, the prototype made it really good with about 10K Km this summer with at least 10lbs up to 20lbs in the case.
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner

  12. #12
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Posts
    130

    Default SpyderAnn01 Rack

    Which rack did you mount the box to. I canít tell if you relocated the anntenna

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Ive got the Shad 48 liter on mine it is mounted with their quick release mount. Still want to add some lights.

  13. #13
    SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    Which rack did you mount the box to. I canít tell if you relocated the anntenna
    First we mounted the BRP top box rack (cost $49) then we mounted the Shad quick release to it. We formed Kydex over the BRP bracket and it looks pretty good. The antenna is currently laying alongside the passenger seat. I donít listen to the radio so it isnít a big priority

    2017 F3T-SM6 TricLED Lights, Wide Vu Mirrors, BajaRon Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Roadster Renoí Belt Tensioner, Tall Boy Mid Height W/S, PPA Black Orb Wheels
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 on test drive 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 loaner put 5,000 miles on it
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 retired at 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

  14. #14
    Active Member reissooz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Green Lake, WI USA
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Ive got the Shad 48 liter on mine it is mounted with their quick release mount. Still want to add some lights.
    I really like how that top case looks on your bike, Ann, and looks like plenty of storage along with your trailer!

    Toothless

  15. #15
    Consumer Advocate akspyderman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    29,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Ive got the Shad 48 liter on mine it is mounted with their quick release mount. Still want to add some lights.
    That one looks like it belongs on the .

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 9 years, 139,000 miles, 5 Spyder miles per post.


  16. #16
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Posts
    130

    Default SpyderAnn01

    Thank you for your response but could you clarify what the BRP top box rack is at only a cost of $49? Do you have a part number and could you show us some pictures? I am guessing you mean something that is used to install the factory top box? Did you cover the rack with Kydex only for looks or was that to add strength? Is the box the Shad SH48? It would appear you painted the box as those colors don't seem to be available?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    First we mounted the BRP top box rack (cost $49) then we mounted the Shad quick release to it. We formed Kydex over the BRP bracket and it looks pretty good. The antenna is currently laying alongside the passenger seat. I don’t listen to the radio so it isn’t a big priority
    Last edited by Gcclubs; 12-02-2017 at 02:16 PM.

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Posts
    130

    Default Bump Prior Questions About BRP Top Rack Cost $49

    If anyone is aware of what rack Anne is referring too? It would be good to know as this seems like a cheap alternative to having to buy a rack for $250 +

    Also does anyone know which Shad case she has as I can't seem to find anything like that on their site?


    Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    Thank you for your response but could you clarify what the BRP top box rack is at only a cost of $49? Do you have a part number and could you show us some pictures? I am guessing you mean something that is used to install the factory top box? Did you cover the rack with Kydex only for looks or was that to add strength? Is the box the Shad SH48? It would appear you painted the box as those colors don't seem to be available?
    Last edited by Gcclubs; 12-04-2017 at 01:16 PM.

  18. #18
    SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    11,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    Thank you for your response but could you clarify what the BRP top box rack is at only a cost of $49? Do you have a part number and could you show us some pictures? I am guessing you mean something that is used to install the factory top box? Did you cover the rack with Kydex only for looks or was that to add strength? Is the box the Shad SH48? It would appear you painted the box as those colors don't seem to be available?
    Sorry Iím out of town and didnít see this or your PM until now. The mounting bracket is listed here https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...-package-t-ltd I canít magnify the picture on my phone so I canít give you the part number. We used the Kydex to fill the gaps as we removed the painted cowl. I could take the box off and ride with just the Shad mounting bracket and it would look okay.

    I actually irdered my case from KTM and they sell the painted piece in black, white and I think red. The flat black case with the shiny black piece matches great on my F3.

    2017 F3T-SM6 TricLED Lights, Wide Vu Mirrors, BajaRon Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Roadster Renoí Belt Tensioner, Tall Boy Mid Height W/S, PPA Black Orb Wheels
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 on test drive 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 loaner put 5,000 miles on it
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 retired at 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

  19. #19
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Posts
    130

    Default BRP Rack

    as best as I can tell it must be parts 2000, 2001 and 2002. I a basing this on looking at the BRP instructions for installing the OEM Top Case and that is the only thing that would seem to make sense. Looking at this however it would appear there are only 2 holes to attach the plate to. I wouldn't think that this is very strong? Do you know if the plate was attached to something else as well? Certainly inventive and I like the KTM top box as well. When you are back home if you could confirm if those are the part numbers and what else was done to fix the SHAD plate to those parts that would be great and thank you for your response. I really like the look as it seems to move the box more forward rather than sticking out so far with a rack, plus it looks like it would sit lower as well.

    Anyone else out there try something like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Sorry Iím out of town and didnít see this or your PM until now. The mounting bracket is listed here https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...-package-t-ltd I canít magnify the picture on my phone so I canít give you the part number. We used the Kydex to fill the gaps as we removed the painted cowl. I could take the box off and ride with just the Shad mounting bracket and it would look okay.

    I actually irdered my case from KTM and they sell the painted piece in black, white and I think red. The flat black case with the shiny black piece matches great on my F3.

  20. #20
    SpyderLovers Sponsor cptjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,908

    Default SpyderAnnís top case

    We will take it apart and get pictures and part numbers and all the details. Yes, the two mounting points are not robust enough, so there is a 8mm bolt and a set of spacers holding the front down. The KTM/Shad topcase has a mount that also works as a rack, when the case is removed. We spent a day fabricating, after waiting months for the topcase. She found it for me, to mount on my KTM. When it came in, it was an excellent match for her F3T in paint and shape. We toyed with Lennyís idea, using the Baker rack, but she felt it was too high. So, we removed the panel behind the seat, and played with ideas. I had seen the BRP topcase bracket on a bike Harvey Clark was working on, and looked it up. (❤️❤️Spyderpops!). Ordered it, and then played with that end of the rack. It was firm, but not as strong as I liked. I was wiring in a fuse box after Hotglue showed me his fuse box, and determined a mount could go in front, making the whole assembly strong as hell! (❤️❤️Hotglue)! A couple of spacers, a drill, and we had a solution! It took a piece of aluminum slat to make it sit right, and we were in business. There was an ugly gap below the topcase that exposes the fuse box and radio. At first, I planned on a strap of leather to trim it out. So, off to Tandy leather to get a piece. We spotted the sheet Kydex, and thought, hey, this might work better! So, popped it in the oven and let it soften, than draped it over the area we wanted to cover. A bit of encouragement, and it worked great! There was a gap at the back, so, we heated another piece, formed it to fit, and fastened it with a Chicago screw, and a pair of pushpins. There was a bit of a gap when we mounted the seat, so we made one more panel to cover that gap. All in, about a day to figure it out. We will find the part numbers and details if anyone wants to copy this. I think it would be easy to do, and if the KTM box is not a color match, any paint shop could shoot it to match. We got lucky: the flat and gloss blacks are identical to the F3T!! After we publish the DIY, feel free to call if you have any questions. We like the result, and the increase in cargo space is massive! This topcase holds 2 helmets! As much as we travel, this will help out!! Joe
    Joe Meyer



    Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

  21. #21
    Active Member rudym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Mobile, Al.
    Posts
    124

    Default think pelican too

    Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi,

    I'm actually looking at options for a top case for my 2016 F3T.

    Considering the over 2000$ price for the Limited one that BRP is offering, it's not the way I want to go.

    I found the Shad SH58X on the web ( http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/cases/top-cases/sh58x/c17r160 ) and I really like the way it looks and the space it can provide.

    Is there somebody who has already installed one ? I'd like to see the look after installation.

    Can someone suggest me the best rack that I can use to install it ? Actually, Shad don't have anything specifically for the F3.

    Thanks !
    I took a large pelican case and just adapted it to the F3T using the OEM tail rack. I have since moved it to my 2018 Sport Glide.IMG_1341.jpg

  22. #22
    SpyderLovers Sponsor cptjam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,908

    Default details

    See post 20;
    Five Star Cycle.com 48 L topcase P/N 6201292700030 $299.99 (we got it on sale for $254) flat black, gloss black trim.
    M6 Torx screws
    Sheet Kydex (Tandy Leather)
    P/N 2000 Central Pillar PKG P/N 708301989 $7.99
    P/N 2001 Lh Stiffener PKG P/N 708302556 $17.99
    P/N 2001 RH Stiffener PKG P/N 708302557 $17.99 These 3 parts. with tax, were $49, I think.
    1/8 x 1" x 6" aluminum slat
    nuts and bolts

    Pix to follow. I have to take it apart to wire in some heated gloves, but we are going on a trip to work on Spyders. Will follow up next week. Joe
    Joe Meyer



    Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

  23. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Edmonton AB Canada
    Posts
    130

    Default Cptjam

    Thank you for all the information. I may just start with buying the rack parts and see how I do with the fabrication. Look forward to the pictures
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    See post 20;
    Five Star Cycle.com 48 L topcase P/N 6201292700030 $299.99 (we got it on sale for $254) flat black, gloss black trim.
    M6 Torx screws
    Sheet Kydex (Tandy Leather)
    P/N 2000 Central Pillar PKG P/N 708301989 $7.99
    P/N 2001 Lh Stiffener PKG P/N 708302556 $17.99
    P/N 2001 RH Stiffener PKG P/N 708302557 $17.99 These 3 parts. with tax, were $49, I think.
    1/8 x 1" x 6" aluminum slat
    nuts and bolts

    Pix to follow. I have to take it apart to wire in some heated gloves, but we are going on a trip to work on Spyders. Will follow up next week. Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •