Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Rear Shock options

Considering swapping the rear shock on my F3S. I noticed a couple of options on Can Am's website:

- FOX Factory series 2.0 PODIUM RC2 Rear Shock (Can Am Part # 219400577)
    - FOX Adjustable Rear Shock (Can Am Part # 219400734)

Anyone running either of these? Differences between the two? Any other options you would recommend aside from the two above?

The OEM rear shock leaves much to be desired.

Thanks in advance for the input!
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the budget is a concern, another option is the brp "two up shock" - which of course should be standard. Fine on my f3s one-up.

others will tell you more than I can about Elka, Wilbur and Fox.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...a

you have choices...Race Tec, Elkas, Fox and maybe Progressive. They get pricy...I have the Fox Podium up front on my RS with relocators and they work well. Have not changed the rear just set it on upper setting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'd probably be inclined to lean towards one of the Can Am/Fox OEM options...just wondering if there's any rider experience here with either of the units?
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Spyder Garage

I can only give feedback on the '2 up' shock 219400739.

I've not come across - FOX Adjustable Rear Shock (Can Am Part # 219400734)? That's a new one. I've just looked it up on line and it seems to match up with the Fox 1.5 front shocks. I'll be interested if anyone has fitted one.

Edit - ah ok, just found it in the 2017 catalgoue with 'new' next to it. So that would explain why I've not seen it before. There's also a new FOX front shock under Can Am Part # 219400733. So it looks like the 1.5 and 2.0 upgrade shocks have been replaced for 2017 with these new 'adjustable' ones.
    Last edited by monkeyboymorton; 02-28-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

The "2-up" shock is a great improvement over stock and is only $160.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I like the sound of the 2-Up shock from a budget standpoint...checked out those Elka shocks online...look pretty swanky, but MAJOR coin!

Spyder Garage

I'm having the BRP "occasional 2 up " shock installed at my dealer as I type this. Don't know the part number, but it's costing me $199.00 plus labor. Considered the Elka, but $600 made it out of reach for me.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Another for the 2 up shock. Got rid of my bottoming and improved the ride generally over stock.

Bang for the buck indeed.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

These are the new shocks in the 2017 catalogue:

2017 F3 Shocks.jpg

Not cheap though, $700 for the rear one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    I'm having the BRP "occasional 2 up " shock installed at my dealer as I type this. Don't know the part number, but it's costing me $199.00 plus labor. Considered the Elka, but $600 made it out of reach for me.

Let me know how the 2-Up shock rides for you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Another for the 2 up shock. Got rid of my bottoming and improved the ride generally over stock.

Sounds like this is the route to go, from a budget standpoint. I would be curious to ride a Spyder with one of the Elka rear shocks, though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA F3S View Post
    I'd probably be inclined to lean towards one of the Can Am/Fox OEM options...just wondering if there's any rider experience here with either of the units?
    I am using the front and rear Fox Podium upgraded units. I am very picky about my suspension setup (you can blame my years of racing/road riding bikes for that! OK, well maybe it's genetics! ) and these things are awesome! The rear is overkill for most. Waaaay more settings than most can comprehend or want to be bothered with. But if you want a shock that you can adjust to YOUR exact liking, this will do it! My buddy rolled his eyes when I did the upgrade, but then he rode mine and immediately did his! He rides 2 up a lot and says it cures all the issues that 2-up creates....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post

I am ordering the "2 UP SHOCK" tomorrow.. Will install myself ---- I am sure its pretty straight forward right? Can't go wrong if you follow instructions -------- Well most of the time anyway.....

Joe

Spyder Garage

I have the 2 up shock. I am not a small man and it made a big difference how the F3 rode. Can't comment on Fox shocks. Made it really stop bottoming out.
    I had other things I wanted to spend some morey on. So I went with the less expensive choice and like the results.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post
    I am ordering the "2 UP SHOCK" tomorrow.. Will install myself ---- I am sure its pretty straight forward right? Can't go wrong if you follow instructions -------- Well most of the time anyway.....

Joe
    It's very straighforward. 2 bolts, one at the top and one at the bottom. You get new bolts and nuts in the kit. Just jack up until wheel just touching the ground then undo. May need to adjust jack to get new one to line up. That's it. I'm a novice to working on the bike and I did it in a couple of hours.

I spent the most time removing the plastic undertray to get at the top bolt. It is 'possible' to access the bolt from under the seats but I struggled to get spanner and socket through the small holes available. Found it easier (although time consuming) to take the undertray off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post

Joe
    It's really easy... took me maybe 25 minutes. Jack up just enough to get the rear tire almost of the ground.. you'll have to play with it up and down in order to find the sweet spot that will allow the lower bolt to come out. Loosen it before jack it up. The top bolt can be done from under the seat. To remove the seat you pop the rear seat off and then remove the front by removing the two 10mm bolts.

Reverse order to install new shock.

Spyder Garage

Okay, done deal.

I just ordered the Can-AM "2 Up" rear shock for a Friday delivery (to be installed this weekend). Those Elkas are really nice, but I don't think I can justify the extra coin...I'm not looking to track the Batpod or anything, just want to stop the bottoming out that comes with the OEM shock.

Also, on an unrelated note...ordered up Lamonster's LED headlights and LED fog lights...looking forward to the extra illumination!

Spyder Garage

Okay, done deal.

I just ordered the Can-AM "2 Up" rear shock for a Friday delivery (to be installed this weekend). Those Elkas are really nice, but I don't think I can justify the extra coin...I'm not looking to track the Batpod or anything, just want to stop the bottoming out that comes with the OEM shock.

Also, on an unrelated note...ordered up Lamonster's LED headlights and LED fog lights...looking forward to the extra illumination!

I can't think of the members call sign but he sent me a link to a site where it cost me $149.99. Shipping was free... I just ordered mine as well.. It will be here soon and will install myself. Also --- Thanks to the two members who posted how to install - I know one was the famous Firefly.... Joe

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...eria=219400739
    Last edited by xpeschon; 03-01-2017 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Add link

Spyder Garage

I got a dealer in Florida to price match that site on some parts, always worth a shot as they can only say no.

Spyder Garage

Let me know how the 2-Up shock rides for you!
    people have failed to mention the combined body weights of the two riders. my wife and I push the 400# limit on the 2 up shock. after installing it, there was an improvement, but after 10,000 miles or so, it rode like the stock shock.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    people have failed to mention the combined body weights of the two riders. my wife and I push the 400# limit on the 2 up shock. after installing it, there was an improvement, but after 10,000 miles or so, it rode like the stock shock.
    This is good to know. I never ride 2 Up, since my wife has her own rig. I'm currently sitting at about 230-235 by myself...we'll see how it holds up over the next several thousand miles.

Spyder Garage

Okay, done deal.

Great minds think alike....
    I'll be installing the same LED headlights and fogs.. maybe this weekend. First I'm doing the vacuum assist clutch kit...... I'll post pics and some tips on that one as the instructions from BRP are not so great.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Great minds think alike....
    I'll be installing the same LED headlights and fogs.. maybe this weekend. First I'm doing the vacuum assist clutch kit...... I'll post pics and some tips on that one as the instructions from BRP are not so great.
    Yessuh! I'm really jazzed for this extra lighting. It's insanely dark out in my neck of the woods after the sun goes down...last thing I want to do on this thing is clip a deer that I didn't see

I also ordered up the Can Am signature light that tucks in under the frunk lid.

Spyder Garage

Yessuh! I'm really jazzed for this extra lighting. It's insanely dark out in my neck of the woods after the sun goes down...last thing I want to do on this thing is clip a deer that I didn't see

I also ordered up the Can Am signature light that tucks in under the frunk lid.
    I already have that signature light... and I have to say one of the reasons I'm changing the headlights to LED is because I don't like the yellow headlights with the white LED signature light... looks goofy. Now they will all match pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Firefly; 03-02-2017 at 10:52 PM.